Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: How would DF handle a quad-core processor?  (Read 4551 times)

gamegreen33

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How would DF handle a quad-core processor?
« on: March 28, 2010, 01:48:28 am »

As in, could it handle both processors? Also, how is the frequency on processors measured? If it says 3.4 ghz, is that per core/thread, or is it 3.4 ghz cumulative?
Quote from: dogstile
We all know what those elfs are like. they're a couple of guys who are up to no good, making trouble in our neighbourhood. Now you guys got my mum all scared and now i'm moving with my auntie and uncle in bel air!
imagine fighting someone on the street. You guys are going at it...all of the sudden, he hits you in the face with the tips of 5 fingers. What the fuck is he doing? You're confused, he school boys you, you're going to be lost. Match won.

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • A Special Kind of Terrible
    • View Profile
Re: How would DF handle a quad-core processor?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2010, 01:49:05 am »

I can at least answer that DF is not multi-threaded.
Why not join us on IRC? irc.newnet.net #bay12games

bombcar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2010, 01:50:54 am »

It's 3.4 GHz per core. DF would completely consume one core, but no more. The other core(s) can be used for music, web browsers, the OS, etc.

If you have a newer Intel chip, they can "overclock" a single core to get a bit more speed.

gamegreen33

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2010, 01:54:09 am »

It's 3.4 GHz per core.

I am not condescending, I just haven't been able to get a clear answer anywhere else...Are you absolutely positive this is true?
We all know what those elfs are like. they're a couple of guys who are up to no good, making trouble in our neighbourhood. Now you guys got my mum all scared and now i'm moving with my auntie and uncle in bel air!
imagine fighting someone on the street. You guys are going at it...all of the sudden, he hits you in the face with the tips of 5 fingers. What the fuck is he doing? You're confused, he school boys you, you're going to be lost. Match won.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2010, 01:59:09 am »

It's 3.4 GHz per core.

I am not condescending, I just haven't been able to get a clear answer anywhere else...Are you absolutely positive this is true?
Indeed, this surprises me as well. I don't know otherwise, though, and I can verify that the rest of that post is accurate.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2010, 02:11:00 am »

Yes, it's per core.

bombcar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2010, 02:18:38 am »

It's 3.4 GHz per core.

Indeed, this surprises me as well. I don't know otherwise, though, and I can verify that the rest of that post is accurate.

It's a bit confusing, because a GHz is not like a megabyte - it's a measure of speed not processing power. But each core is clocked at 3.4 GHz, so you have a "total" of 13.6 GHz of "speed." In other words, DF will run just as fast on a single 3.4 GHz machine as it will on a quad 3.4 GHz; because it uses just one core.

But the quad can do other things at the same time.

Another "proof" - if the 3.4 GHz were for all 4 cores, then it would be less than a GHz per core; that would be embarrassing.

gamegreen33

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2010, 02:24:38 am »

It's 3.4 GHz per core.

It's a bit confusing, because a GHz is not like a megabyte - it's a measure of speed not processing power. But each core is clocked at 3.4 GHz, so you have a "total" of 13.6 GHz of "speed." In other words, DF will run just as fast on a single 3.4 GHz machine as it will on a quad 3.4 GHz; because it uses just one core.

Another "proof" - if the 3.4 GHz were for all 4 cores, then it would be less than a GHz per core; that would be embarrassing.

Thanks-I was having an argument with my dad on this point. I went to a Wikipedia article that showed a university with a many-core processor that clocked at 1.6 ghz (think it was like 36 cores) and he still didn't believe me. How much better would DF perform on a 3.4 ghz compared to a 2.6 ghz? In terms of frame rate.

immibis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2010, 02:34:37 am »

It's 3.4 GHz per core.

Thanks-I was having an argument with my dad on this point. I went to a Wikipedia article that showed a university with a many-core processor that clocked at 1.6 ghz (think it was like 36 cores) and he still didn't believe me. How much better would DF perform on a 3.4 ghz compared to a 2.6 ghz? In terms of frame rate.

I'd guess about 3.4 2.6ths as well.
If I wanted ramps I would've designated ramps, dammit!

bombcar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2010, 02:45:34 am »

Quote from: immibis

This is roughly correct, however, it assumes that the processors are of the exact same family. Newer processors not only are faster, but can do more "work" per unit time;  so they may be even faster than the clock-speed alone would indicate.

A perfect example of this is the first Core Solo processors; they were clocked slower than the Pentium 4 Netburst, but ran faster (did more work per time).
« Last Edit: March 28, 2010, 03:08:57 am by bombcar »

gamegreen33

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2010, 02:57:20 am »

Basically what I have right now is an AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 5000+, and it clocks in at 2.6 GHz. I'm planning on building a second PC to run alongside it that would perform better (that is what she said) with an AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition, which clocks in at 3.4 GHz. I'm...leery about overclocking. I really don't want to fry my processor that cost upwards of $100. I may do it with the one I have right now if I do indeed build a second PC.

EDIT: Also, I can post the specs planned for the new PC if anyone cares.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2010, 03:06:37 am by gamegreen33 »

immibis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2010, 02:58:34 am »

Quote from: immibis
[/quote

This is roughly correct, however, it assumes that the processors are of the exact same family. Newer processors not only are faster, but can do more "work" per unit time;  so they may be even faster than the clock-speed alone would indicate.

A perfect example of this is the first Core Solo processors; they were clocked slower than the Pentium 4 Netburst, but ran faster (did more work per time).
Why do I keep getting quoted improperly?
If I wanted ramps I would've designated ramps, dammit!

bombcar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2010, 03:09:31 am »

Why do I keep getting quoted improperly?

Because people try to trim out the interior quotes and miss.

Mraedis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2010, 04:27:26 am »

Keep in mind that an AMD 3Ghz processor is slower than an Intel 3Ghz processor, and that a very old 3Ghz processor is slower than the latest 3Ghz processor.  ;)
GENERATION 30:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2010, 05:21:25 am »

The newest 40d# code is multi-threaded, actually.

Oh, it's only the rendering that uses a second thread, but that still means you get ~10% usage from a second core, in addition to the first one.
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4