Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Engravings on the floor.  (Read 724 times)

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
Engravings on the floor.
« on: March 01, 2008, 05:43:00 pm »

For now they look a strange for me - they have the same color as wall ones, but black picture. I think it would be easier to destinguis them from walls (and lok better) if the floor engravings looked like white image on black tile (like the usual floor - white "+" on black tile).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Bricktop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Engravings on the floor.
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2008, 08:18:00 pm »

In the designations menu there is an option to toggle engravings on or off. Use that over the floor engravings and they then display as a black + on a white background (or possibly whatever colour background the stone is, I never really engrave floors myself, I just know that this option exists)

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2008, 08:21:00 pm »

There's also an init option to force all engravings to be obscured.

quote:
if the floor engravings looked like white image on black tile
But then, how would you tell them apart from your masons, or other dwarves if they had a black background?
Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"

Romantic Warrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2008, 01:42:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Mechanoid:
<STRONG>There's also an init option to force all engravings to be obscured.

But then, how would you tell them apart from your masons, or other dwarves if they had a black background?</STRONG>

By the goblin/elephant/carp in the picture. The one who is invariably striking down the dwarf in the picture.   ;)

On a more serious note, it just seems weird to engrave floors. The images would be worn down in high traffic areas if they were shallow or be annoying underfoot if fairly deep. Having dwarves walk over a masterpiece just ain't right, especially when they all seem to be tracking mud, blood, ichor, AND water all at once.

Dwarf Fortress and the Abstract Truth.

JoRo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2008, 01:51:00 am »

I only engrave floors in rooms that I need to be really valuable, because I agree that it just doesn't seem right and it doesn't look as good as normal smoothing.
You have been struck down.
The giant cave spider spits out your head.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2008, 04:27:00 am »

quote:
The images would be worn down in high traffic areas

I don't think so. It would take a lot of time, and fortresses generally don't live long.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

shadow_archmagi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2008, 10:02:00 am »

Also, change the actual icon used for engraved dwarfs. Yesterday I killed a child snatcher in my dining room, and was surpised to see 11 children spring out.

Then I realized it was just pictures of dwarfs colored child-red by his blood.

invention is every dwarf's middle name
that means that somewhere out there theres a dwarf named Urist Invention Mcinvention.

Fenrir

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2008, 10:07:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by shadow_archmagi:
<STRONG>Then I realized it was just pictures of dwarfs colored child-red by his blood.</STRONG>
Is that irony?

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2008, 10:19:00 am »

Well, judging from the red color, it is most likely hemoglobin.  So, yes, it's iron-y.

*Ahem*
As for engravings on the floor, I don't like to use them.  However, I'm building a massive moat for my undercastle, the bottom of which will be completely covered in engravings.  The bottom will be the halls of silence, where suicidal dwarves (should I get any) will jump to, and where all the random refuse will be dumped.

The engravings will be splattered in several places, as I intend to drop goblins down there at every available opportunity.  I think under these circumstances, it is perfectly acceptable to have floor engravings.  You won't be looking at them most of the time anyways.

Alfador

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerous Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2008, 03:48:00 pm »

Maybe they should switch from floor engravings to ceiling engravings. Of course, that would ruin the code, so it's probably filed away under "Bloats."
This is a fox skull helmet. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It menaces with spikes of fox bone and is encircled with bands of fox leather. This item is haunted by the ghost of Alfador Angrorung the fox.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2008, 06:39:00 pm »

Yeah, I noticed that the non-graphical version can't offer a good result of the floor engravings, or we could be confused and think they're objects... Well, no floor engravings then =).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2008, 06:44:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Kagus:
<STRONG>Well, judging from the red color, it is most likely hemoglobin.  So, yes, it's iron-y.</STRONG>

lolpun

I usually put two or three squares of wall engravings in noble rooms, covering a room in engravings takes forever, and it's annoying to read it all in Adventure mode.

Shoes...