Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

Author Topic: I'm basically in need of... Well I just don't know.  (Read 7500 times)

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I'm basically in need of... Well I just don't know.
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2010, 05:05:46 pm »

That wiki article was pretty much on the money of my symptoms.

The origins though, I believe, is the trauma I've experienced through my, although short, life. What's more, I bottle most things up, only letting them out in times of great depression. Letting out enough emotion to equalize the pressure slightly, so to speak.
After mulling over it slightly, I've theorized I've just bottled so much up that it's making existential dread.

Still, I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one out there that has felt like this.

Don't bottle things up, that just eats you up from the inside.

You always need to be able to vent. Doesn't even matter if anyone is listening, just vent!

I have a thread I created on another forum specifically for me to vent in. I don't care if I get any responses to it, heckling, argument, or whatever. Thats my little corner of the internet, and I'm gonna vent my frustrations in there, damnit.  :D

Its healthy.

Now of course anything taken to an extreme is bad. Just process things a bit, sort them out in your head, then vent. Don't go on long angry tirades or go berserk and topple masterwork statues or anything like that, but you have emotions. Acknowledge them, express them. Don't even be afraid to cry either. Its all good for you.

Again, too much of anything is bad. Even doing any of this stuff is bad when taken to the extreme. Everything is best in moderation.

Dwarven WMD

• Bay Watcher
  • Amateur Aspiring Coder
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2010, 05:40:07 pm »

Everything is pointless. Everything!   ;D

Even the pyramids will eventually turn to dust and be gone. Completely gone. The sun itself will burn out after first vaporizing the inner planets. In the end it does not matter. Whatever we do does not matter in the end.

And I take comfort in it.

You only got one shot at things. Maybe 80-100 years or something, depending on health and genetics, and quite a bit of luck. Make the best of it. Live a good, happy life. Be honest and productive, try to make your tiny little corner of the universe a bit better, and thats all you can possibly hope for.

Don't try to take on the entire universe. You will lose, and you will make no difference. Do the little things. They count, and they add up. Just be a good person, live honest, and live a happy life and thats quite enough meaning in life for me.
As morbid as that sounds, that actually makes sense. If I look over these little episodes of mine, I've noticed I've always tried to comprehend what I think about and I hurt myself doing it. I guess I just try to comprehend it because I love to learn. As for the fears, they are often associated with death, and even though I know my time comes at some point, I do love life, and worrying about it is probably coupling with the bottling.
The Russian throws Steiner into a chair, screaming "I do not care about genetic research!"
The Russian pulls out a M1911!
The Russian screams "I am Viktor Reznov! And I, will, have, my, REVENGE!"
The Russian shoots Steiner between the eyes.
The Russian loses juice.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2010, 05:57:15 pm »

Everything is pointless. Everything!   ;D

Even the pyramids will eventually turn to dust and be gone. Completely gone. The sun itself will burn out after first vaporizing the inner planets. In the end it does not matter. Whatever we do does not matter in the end.

And I take comfort in it.

You only got one shot at things. Maybe 80-100 years or something, depending on health and genetics, and quite a bit of luck. Make the best of it. Live a good, happy life. Be honest and productive, try to make your tiny little corner of the universe a bit better, and thats all you can possibly hope for.

Don't try to take on the entire universe. You will lose, and you will make no difference. Do the little things. They count, and they add up. Just be a good person, live honest, and live a happy life and thats quite enough meaning in life for me.
As morbid as that sounds, that actually makes sense. If I look over these little episodes of mine, I've noticed I've always tried to comprehend what I think about and I hurt myself doing it. I guess I just try to comprehend it because I love to learn. As for the fears, they are often associated with death, and even though I know my time comes at some point, I do love life, and worrying about it is probably coupling with the bottling.

Yeah, its a little morbid, but at least its honest. I prefer brutal honesty. No point in sugar coating things.

Also we will all experience death in time. You will, I will, even Toady One will.  D:

But thats in time. Its not now. Now I have other things to do first. I'm personally quite curious at the whole experience of death and the process of death, but I don't want to rush things.

Gotta get all of my shopping done here first before I move on, eh?  ;)

Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • The Light shall take us
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2010, 03:54:48 am »

Even if it's nihilistic - there's no chance in hell one human can make a difference on a grand scale. One single human being is uttely powerless and unimportant.

I mights as well throw in my portion of Personal Problems here:
Oh god, I should stop with nihilism and black metal.
It removed the point in life for me, I was extremely depressive a few days ago, actually considered wiping myself form this world. Fuck, I don't even know why.
Probably, there is a relation to the discovery that the Current One-Sided Love Of My Life is a bitch who gave a friend of mine a hand-job, altough I keep telling to myself that I don't care. :-\
« Last Edit: March 27, 2010, 03:58:11 am by Dwarf »
Quote from: Akura
Now, if we could only mod Giant War Eagles to carry crossbows, we could do strafing runs on the elves who sold the eagles to us in the first place.

Hungry

• Bay Watcher
  • Former controller of Zombie Fenrir
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2010, 04:15:52 am »

You all sound like average human beings to me...miserably pathetic normal humans.
Do something 'productive' that makes you 'happy' and you'll all be fine.
Death is a normal acceptable thing, living with it is the only trouble that comes from it.
Other than being a lone being your part of the rest of us humans...

Ect.
Breccia isnt in DF, like garden slugs.
Cheese for the Cheese boat!

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the asylum forgotten? Are they still the same?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2010, 04:44:20 am »

Spoiler: on bottling up (click to show/hide)
I don't know why people keep saying this, since it's so very wrong. Releasing emotions like that just wastes energy you could use for something else, it's like pouring a perfectly good vial of acid onto the ground. Or worse, pouring said acid onto another person. It's a nasty thing to do when the emotion is a nasty thing, especially when you can simply collect and cancel whatever it is; clean up your own mess. Hate, anger, disgust, cynicism, despair, pain, and fear; all can be controlled, all inverted, all made to work and to drive one's self.
Imagine a cool peice of sky-blue and milk-white marble about 3cm by 2cm and by 0.5cm, containing a tiny 2mm malacolite crystal. Now imagine the miles of metamorphic rock it's embedded in that no pick or chisel will ever touch. Then, imagine that those miles will melt back into their mantle long before any telescope even refracts an image of their planet. The watchers will be so excited to have that image too.

Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • The Light shall take us
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2010, 04:51:14 am »

You might have a point there.
But releasing your emotions mustn't necessarily be on other people - I think that should be avoided, unless they're trained personnel.
Quote from: Akura
Now, if we could only mod Giant War Eagles to carry crossbows, we could do strafing runs on the elves who sold the eagles to us in the first place.

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2010, 05:27:27 am »

I have this very same problem. at the young age of 15, I suffer insomnia. I spend all my nights contemplating life and death. I used to keep this all inside, and it did eat me. Then, I started to talk with people. My parents, close friends, my girlfriend, and I felt much better when I realized that I wasn't alone. As Hyndis said, I had to deal with it. What worked, for me at least, was simply accepting that one day, I will die. After that, nothing is certain. No man has indisputably ever come back from the dead, and there's no certainty that there is anything after death. But, just because I accept that I will die, I will not go quietly. As Dylan Thomas put into verse:
Quote from: Dylan Thomas
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Though wise men at their end know dark is right,
Because their words had forked no lightning they
Do not go gentle into that good night.

Good men, the last wave by, crying how bright
Their frail deeds might have danced in a green bay,

Wild men who caught and sang the sun in flight,
And learn, too late, they grieved it on its way,

Grave men, near death, who see with blinding sight
Blind eyes could blaze like meteors and be gay,

And you, my father, there on the sad height,
Curse, bless me now with your fierce tears, I pray.

Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2010, 11:44:03 am »

Probably, there is a relation to the discovery that the Current One-Sided Love Of My Life is a bitch who gave a friend of mine a hand-job, altough I keep telling to myself that I don't care. :-\

Dump her. Forget about her. Move on. Seriously.

She will only keep on twisting the knife. Those people get off on hurting others. She knows what she's doing, and she enjoys it.

Dwarven WMD

• Bay Watcher
  • Amateur Aspiring Coder
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2010, 12:07:52 pm »

So, what want to know now is there any... I don't want to say "cure", but is there anyway that I can stop these existential crises?
The Russian throws Steiner into a chair, screaming "I do not care about genetic research!"
The Russian pulls out a M1911!
The Russian screams "I am Viktor Reznov! And I, will, have, my, REVENGE!"
The Russian shoots Steiner between the eyes.
The Russian loses juice.

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2010, 01:36:24 pm »

I hang on in silent desperation.
It's the English way.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

winner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2010, 01:43:49 pm »

Spoiler: on bottling up (click to show/hide)
I don't know why people keep saying this, since it's so very wrong. Releasing emotions like that just wastes energy you could use for something else, it's like pouring a perfectly good vial of acid onto the ground. Or worse, pouring said acid onto another person. It's a nasty thing to do when the emotion is a nasty thing, especially when you can simply collect and cancel whatever it is; clean up your own mess. Hate, anger, disgust, cynicism, despair, pain, and fear; all can be controlled, all inverted, all made to work and to drive one's self.
Sharing pain with someone makes them happier.
The great game of Warlocks!

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2010, 04:41:55 pm »

So, what want to know now is there any... I don't want to say "cure", but is there anyway that I can stop these existential crises?

Nihilism ;D

Don't blame me if you become depressive and eventualy kill yourself, but its better then following Ayn Rand's bullcrap, though.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2010, 04:45:02 pm by Dakk »
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2010, 05:01:47 pm »

Sounds like obsessive-compulsive disorder to me (specifically the obsessive part). See a psychologist! They have all kinds of neat tricks up their sleeves
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2010, 05:33:16 pm »

Had same problem once. When I was 14, my beloved grandma died. I cried a lot. From one of the best guys in the school, my grades gradually plummeted down. My parents were uncaring so I had to bottle it up.

And release in controlled manner. Writing diary and describing my experiences. Pondering about life and death and even more of this. Honestly, I kept thinking until I felt I was done.

It costed me a bit of my sanity and emotions, as I had no help in other people, but now I feel okay.

On the other, brighter side: Hey! You keep thinking about life and death! How many kids think about life and death instead of pocket money, hamburgers and that cute someone from their class? You are special, and should feel being 'special' in positive way ;)

Also: start working. Working hard for money or something. The more you and your mind will be busy with some work, the less time you will spend thinking.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2010, 05:58:33 pm by Haspen »
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7