Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Author Topic: I'm basically in need of... Well I just don't know.  (Read 7481 times)

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
Re: I'm basically in need of... Well I just don't know.
« Reply #45 on: March 29, 2010, 01:31:31 am »

And there is a point where the pain itself becomes the source of the problem, and it can become utterly crippling.
Of course you should take a rest if your going to die but finding a cure is quitting.

Wait what? So, your solution to pain is to... not do anything about it? How do you define finding a cure?
It depends on what you're talking about. Here it's him trying to find a way to escape his existential thinking.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 29, 2010, 04:22:49 am »

Go enjoy what you are doing in life, no matter what.

Dwarven WMD

• Bay Watcher
  • Amateur Aspiring Coder
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 29, 2010, 10:36:28 am »

And there is a point where the pain itself becomes the source of the problem, and it can become utterly crippling.
Of course you should take a rest if your going to die but finding a cure is quitting.

Wait what? So, your solution to pain is to... not do anything about it? How do you define finding a cure?
It depends on what you're talking about. Here it's him trying to find a way to escape his existential thinking.
Congratulations, you're on the money. Here's what you've won:

Nothing.

I don't have any prize to give you. :P

But on a serious note, cow pretty much get's what I'm looking for.
The Russian throws Steiner into a chair, screaming "I do not care about genetic research!"
The Russian pulls out a M1911!
The Russian screams "I am Viktor Reznov! And I, will, have, my, REVENGE!"
The Russian shoots Steiner between the eyes.
The Russian loses juice.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 31, 2010, 10:35:26 pm »

Alright, I'm going to sound pretty insane, sorry. But this has bothered me for a long time, and I just finished crying to my parents about it, as pathetic as it sounds.
Look, as crazy as I sound, please try to support me or whatever it calls for. I don't know how to handle this.

Alright, first of all, I'm fourteen, but generally regarded as highly intelligent. However, my past is a bit troubled. Regardless, however, I've tried to stand up against the odds. I've tried to run forward through the thick of it. I want to make it by regardless of my past. And, when I'm done with school, I want to make my father proud before he dies.

Sounds good. You seem especially concerned your father is going to die. Is he terribly old or terminally ill? I would avoid putting too much thought into your father's mortality, though it might be hard since you have already lost a parent. My father is in the Canadian Armed Forces, and he's been sent overseas thrice so far (Once to Golan Heights, which was actually pretty tame, like a resort posting, once to Afghanistan, and just last month to Haiti, with a potential fourth to Afghanistan at some point in the future). He could be rocketed at any moment, especially since his role as a carpenter involved constructing pillars of Western Imperialism (Wendy's and Tim Hortons) on Afghan soil. It can be hard not to think about your father dying sometimes, but if you just push that out of your mind and focus primarily on how cool he is, you'll win points at life.

My mother died when I was in third grade. I never cried at the funeral, but the entire year I did horribly. All I did was eat junk food, drink soda, play video games, and watch TV. My grades were horrible. Looking back, I guess I was suppressing the depression and using those distractions to get by.

That's one theory, I guess, but this is exactly what I did in third grade, and I was not depressed.

But in fourth grade, I developed thoughts that scare me, as ludicrous as that sounds.
These thoughts are basically over life itself. I think of existence, my life, the life of those around me, afterlives, everything. I don't know why I think these thoughts, but I do, and I wish I could just forget them. I've thought that if I think these thoughts, that something bad could happen. Like I could just be sitting here, think about existence, and suddenly everything will end. I know these are crazed thoughts, but I can't help them. They scare me to no end. These thoughts themselves make me afraid of what they are about. An hour ago I attempted to sleep them off, fear stopped me for thoughts of dreams.

I hate to sound like a lunatic, but I'm at the road where I just don't know what to do. I talked to my parents and cried while they tried to comfort me. I'm afraid of myself, believing I'm crazy. I'm at a point where I'm worried about what these thoughts may do, and if I'm crazy.
I know I may be sounding insane, which I've said a few times before, but I need advice. I need help. I need some sort of guidance or anything, because I'm lost at what to do.

When I was sixteen, I became convinced that I had the power to stop time. Instead of working in my French class (read: Instead of playing my gameboy), I would just stare at the clock and try to train my power so that I could do it for longer than a few seconds. Eventually, when I realized that I only stopped the clock, I started to thinking it might be telekinesis. When I realized that the clock only stopped when the seconds hand passed the '4', it dawned on me that maybe I didn't have super powers after all (except my ultra handsomeness). Man, that was embarrassing

Also, even to this day, I sometimes grow paranoid that people around me can read my mind, and I focus very strongly on telling them to get out of my head by thought-shouting (does this make sense?) at them, even though this is completely ridiculous. This is only with strangers, though, and when I'm not with a group, so it hasn't actually affected my life in any way other than being an amusing distraction which prevents me from contemplating genius.

When I was 12 or 13, I started to wonder if the world was actually real, or if I was actually in a simulation, and everything was a computer game that I was playing in the future. I eschewed this idea when I realized what a shitty game it is, where you have to actively go out and seek additional forms of entertainment just to enjoy yourself, and misfortunes befall you that cause suffering. Then again, maybe my sick, twisted future-self enjoys those kinds of games, and everybody I am talking to right now really is a simulation. I will never know for sure.

When I was 9 or 10, I saw a trailer for the Brenden Fraser movie where he sells his soul to the devil, and I was so afraid of being tempted myself that I promised God I would worship him forever if he prevented me from doing so. Of course, I didn't follow through on this promise.

What I'm saying is that it's really common for these existentialist pseudo-philosophical things to occur to people, but they're just really silly. The sooner you admit to yourself that you aren't a god, the better off you'll be. There is no point worrying about it. There's also nothing we can do to help you, because it's entirely in your head. Try focusing on something that is mentally taxing. I've found that the more challenging the things I do are, the less idle time I get to think of silly ideas.

It's a double-edged sword, though, and you will subsequently have severe writer's block and have to actually work to write creatively for the rest of your life. Ironic how this happens just when you get old enough to actually be capable of producing fine literature, right?
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

NRN_R_Sumo1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 02, 2010, 09:40:23 am »

Just hang in there bud, we're all potential dwarfs on the inside, the trick is staying ecstatic...

Have you considered investing in a waterfall for your dining room?
A dwarf is nothing but an alcohol powered beard.

NRN_R_Sumo1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 02, 2010, 09:39:04 am »

Just hang in there bud, we're all potential dwarfs on the inside, the trick is staying ecstatic...

Have you considered investing in a waterfall for your dining room?
A dwarf is nothing but an alcohol powered beard.

Psyco Jelly

• Bay Watcher
  • It begins!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 04, 2010, 12:26:50 am »

If you are having an existential crisis that means that you are thinking about the meaning of life, which is a good thing. Many people of your age dislike any kind of intellectualism. I suppose that I have had an existential crisis, but it was solved rather quickly by my realization that life is entirely about exploration.

It lead to my current definition of myself, a seeker of knowledge and experience, and to help teach other people (once I am confident in what I know). I hope that you manage to have some sort of realization (it can indeed be very different from mine), and hopefully won't be as hollow as existential nihilism.
Not only is it not actually advertising anything, it's just copy/pasting word salads about gold, runescape, oil, yuan, and handbags.  It's like a transporter accident combined all the spambots into one shambling mass of online sales.

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 04, 2010, 02:44:05 am »

Yeah, half the people I know only care about such banal things. I guess that's why I have such few friends, and most of the people I like and admire are on this forum. >.>

Yes, I know that I'm a lame-o of all lame-os.
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • The Light shall take us
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 04, 2010, 09:15:34 pm »

I agree. I, sometimes, can only facepalm when I see what some people I know are caring for.
Quote from: Akura
Now, if we could only mod Giant War Eagles to carry crossbows, we could do strafing runs on the elves who sold the eagles to us in the first place.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 05, 2010, 11:24:38 pm »

I agree. Considering the goals and cares of everybody else you know to be beneath you might be a reason you have few friends.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 05, 2010, 11:27:56 pm »

No, It's just that they don't care about... anything! For them, their lives revolve around the latest set of clothing, the best way to get into your girlfriend's pants, or how to smuggle alcohol to your parties! They don't care about their futures, or their studies. They live their lives not knowing what's happening in the world, only living in their own little bubble of ignorance. I just wish I wasn't... disliked for not living in such a bubble.
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 05, 2010, 11:30:21 pm »

I just wish I wasn't... disliked for not living in such a bubble.

The problem is that you don't realize that you're living in a bubble, too.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 05, 2010, 11:33:33 pm »

Hm.. I realize that I sounded so pretentious and arrogant in my last post. I apologize.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 11:40:35 pm by Acanthus117 »
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
« Reply #58 on: April 16, 2010, 07:52:40 am »

Try to find something that you enjoy doing. Really. Don't look for a distraction, look for a passion. It could be calligraphy, martial arts, programming or whatever.

Huesoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Like yeah dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 16, 2010, 05:39:07 pm »

I can help.
BOTTLED MESSAGE BE AFLOAT
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7