Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: So much for feeding the bears  (Read 1191 times)

Lummox JR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • BYOND
So much for feeding the bears
« on: March 26, 2010, 09:33:46 am »

After a recent siege, the second in the year, I had a turncoat dwarf marksman in a cage along with four of his goblin compatriots. I took their cages to the execution chamber, tossed in some bears and jaguars that didn't have names yet, and threw in the four goblins.

Apparently, though, you can't pit an unfriendly dwarf. I don't recall seeing that listed anywhere. I guess that means I'll have to dust off the old drowning chamber once its upgrades are all finished, or else I can install the cage in the bear pit. Either way it'll have to be tied to a lever. What a pain.

Or is there a way to rehabilitate this goblin-raised piece of filth?

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
Re: So much for feeding the bears
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2010, 09:55:15 am »

No sadly, poor guy's been completely brainwashed by those damn greenies since babyhood.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2010, 12:01:49 pm »

You might be able to make him friendly with Dwarf Companion, if you're not adverse to hacking.   In theory changing him to be a member of your civilization should do it.  Or it might just result in a civil war where all your dwarves kill each other.  Try it and let us know the result.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2010, 01:38:57 pm »

You might be able to make him friendly with Dwarf Companion, if you're not adverse to hacking.   In theory changing him to be a member of your civilization should do it.  Or it might just result in a civil war where all your dwarves kill each other.  Try it and let us know the result.

It doesn't.  Whether or not you mark them as a part of your civilization, once those creatures are marked as "enemies" of your fort, they remain enemies (apparently, the people who work on DC haven't found that tag yet) until removed from the game.  This may be related to why you can't truly "tame" creatures that have killed your dwarves.

Interestingly, this can also cause loyalty spirals, as creatures that give birth during a seige will have children not considered enemies, so the mothers will kill their own children.  The children were considered part of their civ, however, so that is classified as a "murder", and the rest of their civ will then kill the mothers for murdering their own children.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Lummox JR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • BYOND
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2010, 03:20:30 pm »

Interesting followup: I finally built the dwarf cage right into the bottom of the pit and hooked it up to a nearby lever. After my bears finished off the brainwashed marksdwarf and a goblin master thief I had caught that season, I looked at the remains and found that the dwarf had still been hanging on to all of his gear. He had more than two screens' worth of items marked for dumping that the other dwarves in my civ had never taken from him when they had the chance.

I thought disarming captured dwarves had worked in the past, but now I'm not so sure.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2010, 05:10:40 pm »

Just as dwarves will not dump clothes and trinkets that are owned by other dwarves, they also will not dump clothes and trinkets that are owned by invaders. For some reason, randomly generated invaders aren't marked as owning their clothes, but ones that were created during worldgen (i.e. "guards", early weapon masters, Local Leaders, and captured dwarves/humans/elves) do own their trinkets (and possibly some of their clothes), so they won't get touched until the creature is killed.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Lummox JR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • BYOND
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2010, 11:29:14 pm »

That makes a lot of sense. The last siege had a dwarf leading every squad, and the items that were left on this dwarf's person apparently were just rings, amulets, bracelets, etc. He had rather a lot of them.