Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 110 111 [112] 113 114 ... 140

Author Topic: Man of SCIENCE!!  (Read 147069 times)

maxicaxi

• Bay Watcher
  • Why? I have no idea.
    • View Profile
Re: Man of CONSISTENT UPDATES!!
« Reply #1665 on: July 22, 2010, 02:26:32 am »

falcon pawnsh
I have absolutely no idea what's going on in this fort any more. Migrants arrive, they die for some reason, the fort is flooded for another reason, then dwarves go mad, more dwarves die and I'm just laughing in my distress.
you cannot defeat the potato.

ibot66

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1666 on: July 23, 2010, 07:24:49 am »

takes out knife.

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
Re: Man of SCIENCE!!
« Reply #1667 on: July 23, 2010, 07:38:44 am »

Dongs.

-=-

Wearing:
- White Dongs of DONGS!
- Safety Dongs of DONGS!
- Black Dongs of DONGS!
- Black Dongs of DONGS!
- Tool Dongs of DONGS!

Inventory:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Parts:
Chemicals:

Knowledge:
- Primary Discipline: DONGS (level 3)
- Secondary Disciplines: DONGS (level 2)
- Tertiary Disciplines: DONGS (level 1), DONGS (level 1), DONGS (level 0)
- Formulae: 3
- Inventions: 9

Health:
- No Dongs
- No Dongs in system
- Well fed, well-hydrated

Negligible Dongs
Mild Dongs

Current Lab: Metal WorkDongs , Amateur Dongs Set (Portable), Outdated Dongs (Portable), Makeshift Mold Dongs , Lame Rat Dongs [1 Metal Dongs, 1 Spoon, 1 Tin Dongs, contains 1 Intoxicated Dongs <Dongs + Dongs>]

Locations:
Dongs, United States: Slum Basement Dongs, Scrapyard, Pawn Dongs, UCSD, Dongs

(Seriously though, I swear at some point in the near future or possibly the far future you'll get a legit update)
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
Re: Man of SCIENCE!!
« Reply #1668 on: July 23, 2010, 07:46:43 am »

(Test 1: Dongs reacted with intense Dongs upon oral Dongs)
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #1669 on: July 23, 2010, 08:03:19 am »

Well, that seemed to take ages. You wonder if you aren't suffering residual effects of the Clockstop, because it felt like it took three weeks just to walk home.

When you finally arrive, you look at your laptop and your parts. You blink at them, plans and blueprints coming together unbidden in the depths of your brilliant mind.

You are Inspired.

You grin at the parts, shutting your computer off and opening it up. No- wait. It needs suitable firmware first. You close it and boot it back up, code an operating system from scratch, basing it off your experience with Linux, Windows, and your Killbots. It all seems so simple, so right. You haven't felt this good since you built your first robot...

The one that damned professor took credit for...

A renewed fury filling your fingertips, you complete your code at a furious pace. You now have a complete operating system, capable of running about any program you need as well as coping with the optimization you're about to apply to it. That concluded, you shut the laptop down.

An indeterminate amount of careful grafting and optimizing later, your Complex Circuitry and two Average Circuitries have become the center of a powerhouse of hardware, housing an operating system which it was optimized for, and which was optimized for it.

It's beautiful.

Your Outdated Laptop has become an Inspired Upgraded Laptop (Grade 12).
(+0.1 Killbotics, +.4 Programming)
(-1 Complex Circuitry, -2 Average Circuitry, -4 Solder, -4 Copper Wire)

A computer's Grade is a value roughly estimating its capabilities, based off the total value of the Circuitry put into it. You aren't sure what a Grade 12 is capable of yet, exactly, but it's certainly a step up from your old Grade 1 Outdated Laptop.

-=-

Wearing:
- Black Gloves of SCIENCE!
- Tool Belt of SCIENCE!
- Black Jeans of CASUALNESS
- Red T-shirt of CASUALNESS
- Black Shoes of RUNNING (and COMFORT)
- Dark Gray Jacket of HIDDEN POCKETS

Cash: 30.4 USD

Inventory:
Parts:
Chemicals:

Knowledge:
- Primary Discipline: KILLBOTICS (level 3.5)
- Secondary Disciplines: BIOLOGY (level 2.1), PROGRAMMING (2.9)
- Tertiary Disciplines: PHYSICS (level 1.4), CHEMISTRY (level 1.2)
- Formulae: 5
- Inventions: 9

Health:
- No wounds
- No chemicals in system
- Somewhat hungry, moderately thirsty

Negligible Fame
Mild Megalomania

Current Lab: Metal Workbench, Amateur Chemistry Set (Portable), Inspired Upgraded Laptop (Grade 12) (Portable), Makeshift Mold Tank, Lame Rat Container [1 Metal Bucket, 1 Spoon, 1 Tin Plate, contains 1 Intoxicated Rat <Hallucinogen+Reactive>]

KILLBOTS:
Spiked Anklebiter 1 [Level 2 programming, physics modeling program, IFF, weapon recognition]: 1 Control Unit, 1 Chassis (Small), 4 Wheels (Small), 1 Electric Motor, 1 Digital Camera, 3 Copper Wire, 2 knives, 2 forks; 6 Thumbtacks, 1 Solder. 1*4 Attack <Stabbing> <Drugged - Hallucinogens>, 2 Defense, 2 Movement, cannot be grabbed by enemies in combat

Locations:
Los Angeles, United States: Slum Basement Lab, Scrapyard, Pawn Shop, Dollar Store, Thrift Store, Goodwill, Cheap Grocery Store, UCLA, USC

Organizations: Gangs in the Location1:SlumBasementLab Area, the University System
« Last Edit: July 23, 2010, 08:44:24 am by Pandarsenic »
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1670 on: July 23, 2010, 08:19:21 am »

Code: (SCIENCE!) [Select]
1 Program an A.I. capable of predicting the effects of compound chemicals, then have it seek out a formulae that will induce a SCIENCE! Frenzy in those already predisposed to it.
0 Program a self-improving A.I. and affix a robotic arm to the laptop. Be blissfully ignorant of its eccentricities until it is too late.
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1671 on: July 23, 2010, 08:32:57 am »

I don't think our programming skill is high enough for a really good AI yet(though we might be able to manage one that turns on us). Instead:

1 Program a complex physics simulation that will enable us to create killbot blueprints quickly and efficiently, testing their abilities without building them.
1 Program an A.I. capable of predicting the effects of compound chemicals, then have it seek out a formulae that will induce a SCIENCE! Frenzy in those already predisposed to it.
0 Program a self-improving A.I. and affix a robotic arm to the laptop. Be blissfully ignorant of its eccentricities until it is too late.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1672 on: July 23, 2010, 08:58:39 am »

I don't think our programming skill is high enough for a really good AI yet(though we might be able to manage one that turns on us). Instead:

Dude, we aren't even level 3 programming. Let's try this:

[1-0] Program a complex physics simulation that will enable us to create killbot blueprints quickly and efficiently, testing their abilities without building them.
[1-0] Program an A.I. capable of predicting the effects of compound chemicals, then have it seek out a formulae that will induce a SCIENCE! Frenzy in those already predisposed to it.
[1-0] Program a device that will run in pararrel with your OS, looking out for errors/data corruption/external signals, etc. etc.
[0] Program a self-improving A.I. and affix a robotic arm to the laptop. Be blissfully ignorant of its eccentricities until it is too late.

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1673 on: July 23, 2010, 09:09:34 am »

I believe we were stated as being as good as a skilled programmer, but we work much faster. A physics simulation is easy, especially since this computer should be good enough that it doesn't have to be very efficient. I was kidding about the AI, though a simple one would probably be possible(by "simple" I mean "can hold a VERY simple conversation" that sort of AI already exists).
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1674 on: July 23, 2010, 09:14:39 am »

To make a physics simulation, you must input physics into it, obviously. Our physics is level one, and... it won't end up in anything we don't know already, unless our computer is already sentient.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #1675 on: July 23, 2010, 09:19:50 am »

Hm. Actually,

[2-0] Program a complex physics simulation that will enable us to create killbot blueprints quickly and efficiently, testing their abilities without building them.
[1-1] Program an A.I. capable of predicting the effects of compound chemicals, then have it seek out a formulae that will induce a SCIENCE! Frenzy in those already predisposed to it.
[1-0] Program a device that will run in pararrel with your OS, looking out for errors/data corruption/external signals, etc. etc.
[0] Program a self-improving A.I. and affix a robotic arm to the laptop. Be blissfully ignorant of its eccentricities until it is too late.
A chemistry-predicting program is way too complicated for us at the moment, as chemistry is full of arbitrarily defined effects and getting even a "reasonably accurate" simulation done would still require simulating an entire human body down to the molecular level. Which isn't beyond the power of either us or our new laptop, but I'd really rather spend our time doing something more useful in the immediate future. A powerful physics simulator that can handle complex machinery can be all sorts of useful - and on top of that, highly profitable. How much do you think does it cost to crash-test an average jumbo-jet?

And we don't really NEED to know all the complex physics laws - much less understand them. We need (fairly easily obtainable) formulae that we can stuff into the computer, and our programming knowledge is high enough to make a program of this complexity.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

xtank5

• Bay Watcher
  • [STEM_CELL_TRANSPLANT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1676 on: July 23, 2010, 10:46:00 am »

Code: (SCIENCE!!) [Select]
[3-0] Program a complex physics simulation that will enable us to create killbot blueprints quickly and efficiently, testing their abilities without building them.
[1-1] Program an A.I. capable of predicting the effects of compound chemicals, then have it seek out a formulae that will induce a SCIENCE! Frenzy in those already predisposed to it.
[1-0] Check our newly upgraded laptop for Wireless Internet capability.

I think we need to check for if our laptop has the Wi-fi.  The wonderful/money-earning things we could do with Wi-fi.
IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM
Can't get enough Bolo.

Diablous

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:avatar's cuteness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1677 on: July 23, 2010, 10:46:44 am »

Code: (SCIENCE!!) [Select]
[4-0] Program a complex physics simulation that will enable us to create killbot blueprints quickly and efficiently, testing their abilities without building them.
[1-0] Check our newly upgraded laptop for Wireless Internet capability.
Quote from: Solifuge
A catgirl, whom oft it would please
To dine on a pizza, with cheese,
Thought it was quite fine
To be partly feline,
Excepting the hairballs and fleas.

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #1678 on: July 23, 2010, 11:20:43 am »

You have wireless. Your current residence does not.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL

Diablous

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:avatar's cuteness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1679 on: July 23, 2010, 11:21:43 am »

Oh, yeah. You can keep your soul, heart and brain now Pandar.
Quote from: Solifuge
A catgirl, whom oft it would please
To dine on a pizza, with cheese,
Thought it was quite fine
To be partly feline,
Excepting the hairballs and fleas.

Pages: 1 ... 110 111 [112] 113 114 ... 140