Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 90 91 [92] 93 94 ... 140

Author Topic: Man of SCIENCE!!  (Read 147092 times)

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
Re: Man of SCIENCE!!
« Reply #1365 on: June 28, 2010, 12:47:00 pm »

At some point, we should just start collecting random metal junk and sell it as scrap metal. Who buys the stuff? I think some recycling places do. This should be noted, but we won't be able to do this for a while. For now, we can only carry so much.

Also, let's try to get a wheelbarrow or something here.

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #1366 on: June 28, 2010, 12:51:58 pm »

You have the ability to code simple qualitative judgments already, but not complex ones. You could, for instance, load it with a schematic of a turbine and tell it to prioritize that, or to prioritize relatively "fresh" sheet metal over rusted or damaged sheet metal, but minor deviations would cause it to go "Eh. Damaged shit."
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #1367 on: June 28, 2010, 01:30:24 pm »

You have the ability to code simple qualitative judgments already, but not complex ones. You could, for instance, load it with a schematic of a turbine and tell it to prioritize that, or to prioritize relatively "fresh" sheet metal over rusted or damaged sheet metal, but minor deviations would cause it to go "Eh. Damaged shit."
That's the last 1% of the problem. It requires computer vision, abstract modelling of the bots environment, extrapolation of parts not seen, etc. etc.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #1368 on: June 28, 2010, 01:36:52 pm »

Basically, yeah.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #1369 on: June 28, 2010, 01:46:25 pm »

What we need are a few simple, nonvisual heuristics. What abaut:
 Is magnetic = positive
 Contains iron oxide (rust) =negative
 Responds to magnetic induction =positive
 gives of a pure sine tone complex in one of numerous preprogrammed frequencies (we may be able to figure these out experimentaly for certain compn products) = Positive
 contains a battery (might be able to detect this electromagnetically?) = positive
 has a strong magnetic field = positive
 moves, or emmits sound, but can still be caught = positive

maybe others can come up with more
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1370 on: June 28, 2010, 01:53:22 pm »

We don't have any sensors to determine most of that stuff. What we really need is a forge so we can melt down scrap into whatever shape we need. Unfortunately those aren't exactly cheap so for now we should try to get a real job. Showing those fools takes time, so for now we must content ourselves with proving our skill. I recommend a robotics company. The anklebiter isn't too impressive... or it wouldn't be if it weren't made of scrap. It is impressive what we were able to make from so little.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1371 on: June 28, 2010, 02:15:20 pm »

We don't have any sensors to determine most of that stuff. What we really need is a forge so we can melt down scrap into whatever shape we need. Unfortunately those aren't exactly cheap so for now we should try to get a real job. Showing those fools takes time, so for now we must content ourselves with proving our skill. I recommend a robotics company. The anklebiter isn't too impressive... or it wouldn't be if it weren't made of scrap. It is impressive what we were able to make from so little.

This is why I asked for someone to make some kind of robot that will pick up everything with at least a bit of metal in it and bring it to the home base. We, according to our location and equipment, are able to melt tin and zinc at the very least - nobody told us what we actually fuel the furnace with, and thusly, how much heat does it generate in the core. However, we should thrive for about 700 celsius, which would make sure we can melt aluminium. I have no idea what would be need huge amounts for aluminium for. But there is never enough of it. Theoretically, at the same temperature, we could have melted magnesium, for whatever the hell we need to do with it. And a lot of other stuff, bismuth even... Yeah, such stuff.

If anyone wants MOAR COPPER, it melts at 1084 celsius as far as I'm concerned. That's pretty much the melting temperature that makes sure you can melt any kind of bronze in the world.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #1372 on: June 28, 2010, 02:30:23 pm »

Of course, a thermite forge would be sufficient if needed

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #1373 on: June 28, 2010, 05:50:10 pm »

Of course, a thermite forge would be sufficient if needed
We must gather rust and aluminum foil! We should also make ourselves a tinfoil hat.

xtank5

• Bay Watcher
  • [STEM_CELL_TRANSPLANT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1374 on: June 28, 2010, 09:17:41 pm »

Code: [Select]
[9-1] - Go to main part of the junkyard, use back door to infiltrate warehouse.
[2-3] - Main
[2-6] - blow up democrabrain

Just go in the warehouse already!
IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM
Can't get enough Bolo.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1375 on: June 28, 2010, 09:52:14 pm »

We need to hybridise robotic and biological systems...

I think that the first step is some form of mind control chip, early models would only need to make the subject aggressive or passive, so we could create an on off switch for our guard cyborg. More advanced creations will require a biological programming interface. Or a brain capable of receiving complex instructions(which could be built or stolen) and a chip that makes the subject cooperative. In the mean time I suggest insect-sized devices that will only steal what they can carry. Anything larger than that is likely to attract unwanted attention...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

xtank5

• Bay Watcher
  • [STEM_CELL_TRANSPLANT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1376 on: June 28, 2010, 10:29:45 pm »

Something like this with cockroaches (which should be plentiful given our neighbourhood).  With some control circuitry we could make them grab things and bring it back to base.
However, for now, let's just go steal some phat lewt from the warehouse.
Can't get enough Bolo.

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #1377 on: June 28, 2010, 10:30:21 pm »

Just a suggestion: For any long-range, high-risk missions we send robots on, we should be able to make a thermite self-destruct system, to prevent others getting our advanced KILLBOTICS tech, once we have some.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

xtank5

• Bay Watcher
  • [STEM_CELL_TRANSPLANT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1378 on: June 28, 2010, 10:51:12 pm »

Good idea.  We could gather rust from the hulks in the junkyard.  We might be able to get aluminum from the garbage or just buy a cheap roll of foil. Grind everything up into a 50-50 mix by volume or 8-3 by weight FeO2-Al.   Place the charge on top with a spark-gap embedded in some magnesium powder (from sparklers) to set it off.  Bam, we have ourself a destruct system gentlemen.

Code: (Self Destruct) [Select]
2 cubic inches rust
2 cubic inches aluminum
1 square foot aluminum foil (a convinient casing)
1 Sparkler
3 copper wire
1 Capacitor  (to create a big enough spark)
1 Relay

Connects to an Output on the robot that activates the relay,
which allows current through the spark-gap from the capacitor,
which ignites the magnesium,
which burns hot enough to start the thermite reaction,
which all leaves behind a nice, dwarfy, glowing, pile of slag where a robot used to be.

Ahem.  In the meantime, we should see into acquiring some of the contents of the warehouse.

EDIT:  Just realized what would happen if we combined RC bugs with thermite self destructs.  We should save that for later.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2010, 10:57:53 pm by xtank5 »
Can't get enough Bolo.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1379 on: June 28, 2010, 10:54:20 pm »

Oh, yes, definitely, self destruct devices for everything!

Except our masterpiece, it shall be a thing of beauty, awesome in its subtlety and terrible in its power. It shall be completely unstoppable, and obey our every command, because that is how all creations behave towards their creators...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!
Pages: 1 ... 90 91 [92] 93 94 ... 140