Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 87 88 [89] 90 91 ... 140

Author Topic: Man of SCIENCE!!  (Read 147125 times)

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
Re: Man of SCIENCE!!
« Reply #1320 on: June 23, 2010, 08:18:00 am »

Code: (Proposed Actions) [Select]
[vote for it][vote agaist it]-description
[4]-Raid Scrapyard, look for sheet metal.
[4-1]-Purchase canned/Non-perishable food. (Canned tomatoes, peaches, tomato paste, mushrooms, pasta, etc)
[3]-Make or purchase metal propellers.
[3]-Register for library card.  Check out books on SCIENCE!!, surf internet for SCIENCE!! related jobs, useful information, etc.
[3]-Obtain wheelbarrow or shopping cart.  (Cheaper is better)
[2]-Get drugstore chemicals.  (Rubbing alcohol, peroxide, mineral oil, etc)
[2]-Buy cheap travel alarm clocks from dollar store.  Modify to be intruder alarms. (Details below)   Sell to gangs.

Here we go - we now have an official creator-endorsed format.

They should be arranged top to bottom by final number, descending. Higher-number-minus-antivotes before high-number-minus-fewer-antivotes before no antivotes. As a demonstration: [6] [6-1] [5] [6-2] [5-1] [4] [3] [2] [2] [2] [1]
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1321 on: June 23, 2010, 10:04:23 am »

Someone had mentioned capacitors a few pages back.  Thus, I propose a design:

Advanced Capacitor + Advanced Circuitry + 2 Copper Wire + 1 Solder = Flux Capacitor.

This will be used in advanced energy weapons and any time-travel devices that we devise.

Pandar:  We've seen rudimentary, simple, basic, and average, and I imagine advanced is a level as well.  Is there a complete breakdown of the possible qualities of the parts?
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1322 on: June 23, 2010, 12:14:49 pm »

I'm not bored at all!

We won't be in this craphole basement forever, but we also won't jump straight from it to our high-tech volcano lab either.  Likely our next stop will be something on the order of a warehouse.  We'll have a fairly open area with lots of storage and a big roof.  This leads to two things.

1) Power.  Until we can get high-grade reactors that get us every amp we could ever want, we'll have to either live off the grid or go lower-tech.  Solar would be a good stopgap, as a warehouse has lots of roof to cover with panels.  Ergo, I shall propose solar panel designs.

Solar panel Mk1 would be an array of photovoltaic cells, say 20 or so, in a grid.  They'd then be mounted on a plate with wiring to hook to the building wiring.

Solar panel Mk1 : 20 Solar Cells + 1 Large Plate + 10 Copper Wiring + 5 Solder

Mk2 would add another cell, some circuitry, a post, and a small motor to rotate the panel to face the sun.  That would increase our efficiency.

Solar panel Mk2 : 1 Solar panel Mk 1 + 1 Solar Cell + 1 Basic Circuitry + 1 Small motor + 1 Metal post-arm + 1 Copper Wire + 1 Solder

The solar cells would probably be simpler to buy in bulk, but we can make those too!

Solar Cell : 1 Copper Plate + 1 Silicon Plate + 1 Glass sheet  (might need a couple more pieces)

That'd give us some juice to work with.  It may not power everything, but it can power our security system.  Which is number two!

2) Security.  We'd need robot patrols of the area to keep the base secure.  They'd all be inside to keep ourselves less obvious.

First off, we need the bots themselves.  I'm thinking tracked bots ~4 ft in height.  That's plenty to provide a stable base for any small-arms discharge (until we get energy weapons.)  That said, the robot!  Encapsulated for easy support, changes, and reusability, like any good programmer should.

Security Bot : 1 tracked base + 1 basic bot chest + 2 basic bot arms + 1 basic bot head + 6 copper wiring + 3 solder

Tracked Base : 2 tracks + 1 Basic gearing + 2 copper wiring + 1 simple circuitry + 1 medium casing + 1 solder

Basic Bot Chest : 1 large casing + 1 basic gearing + 1 medium motor + 1 car battery + 1 basic circuitry + 2 copper wiring + 1 solder

Basic Bot Arm : 2 small casing + 1 simple gearing + 1 simple circuity + 1 weapon mount + 1 copper wiring + 1 solder

Basic Bot Head : 1 medium casing + 1 digital camera + 1 control unit (at least Average) + 1 circuity (at least Basic) + 1 microphone + 1 speaker + 5 copper wiring + 3 solder

The parts would come together to make the bot.  The arm is just given a weapon mount, so that we can fit in whatever we like. The chest motor is powered by the battery, and gives energy to power the tracks and arms.  I figure the programming would need to be at least level 3, given the need for decent IFF, speech processing, and patrol route configuration.  It may need 4 considering the upgrade it's going to get next...

I've got it juiced by a car battery, but those need recharging occasionally.  We could do it manually, but that sucks.  The best choice would be an induction charger, so it can just park in a "charging zone" when the battery is low.  We'd have to modify the body to include an induction coil, but that's a simple addition.  It is basically just copper wire wrapped around an iron core, with a bit of circuitry.

Induction Coil : 10 Copper Wire + 1 Iron Rod + 1 simple circuitry

Induction Charge modifcation for Basic Bot Chest : 1 Induction Coil + 1 Copper Wiring + 1 Solder

The programming change would be a "go home and charge" subroutine executed at around 40% charge, which would be delayed in situations where the bot is investigating a disturbance.  That, plus the rest, may push us into level 4 programming.  The robotics skill needed is up to Pandar, in this case.

(Is there a Radio Shack equivalent nearby?)
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

xtank5

• Bay Watcher
  • [STEM_CELL_TRANSPLANT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1323 on: June 23, 2010, 01:02:42 pm »

I like the plans, but that is thinking a little too far ahead at this point.  We should keep these plans in mind for future reference.

Post is http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=51651.msg1349956#msg1349956
IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM
Can't get enough Bolo.

EagleV

• Bay Watcher
  • Oblivisci tempta quod didicisti
    • View Profile
« Reply #1324 on: June 23, 2010, 02:18:11 pm »

I... Might have an idea. We are quite skilled in programming and killbotics. Now, when in popular science fiction someone makes a truely intelligent robot, it turns against its maker EVERY SINGLE TIME. Think "Mass Effect" over "Battlestar Galactica" to "A Space Oddysey", AI virtually always goes wrong. Now, because this is popular sciencefiction, and the masses are by definition wrong, this concept is impossible. That's why I propose the following experiment once we have enough programming skills: we will make an AI that is truely intelligent, give it both power over every tiny bit of our equipment (including automated turrets), and enough reason to turn against us. If it doesn't, we have proven mass media wrong once and for all. Of course, we don't need to implement a killswitch, because certainly it would never do what the virtual reality of the plebs tells us it would do.

Now, in order to prepare for this, and other experiments, I propose we implement a simple neurologic program. Give it a random algorithm and a problem. Let it solve the problem again and again, with it randomly changing its algorithm every time, keeping and varying on those that work best and discarding those that screw it up. Even if it doesn't come up with a good problem-solving code after a while, it would give us some new project to work on and insight in basic neurologic programming.

Practically, this is my proposal: Put some very easy obstacle-dodging code in a virtual version of Ankelbiter. Eg, if obstacle: turn left. Then, let the virtual anklebiter go trough a random virtual obstacle course. Repeat this ten times with randomly slightly altered codes each time. Choose the 2 codes which got him the closest to the endpoint, and repeat the process with these two. And so on. Genius as we are, this is possible on our good old laptop in a few hours or days.

Or we could just make sure we can survive in our basement for a while and get some food.

[vote for it][vote agaist it]-description
[5-1]-Purchase canned/Non-perishable food. (Canned tomatoes, peaches, tomato paste, mushrooms, pasta, etc)
[4]-Raid Scrapyard, look for sheet metal.
[3]-Register for library card.  Check out books on SCIENCE!!, surf internet for SCIENCE!! related jobs, useful information, etc.
[2]-Buy cheap travel alarm clocks from dollar store.  Modify to be intruder alarms. (Details below)   Sell to gangs.
[1]-Give anklebiter some neurological programming.
Quote from: Robert Donoghue and Fred Hicks
There are three things you must learn if you wish to defeat me, my young pupil. First, you must look within yourself and find your core of strength. Second, your mind and body must be in perfect unison. Third...
*WHACK*
Third, stop listening when you should be fighting.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1325 on: June 23, 2010, 02:35:31 pm »

I vote food.  Food and the junkyard.  Look for some sort of turbine, like a turbocharger.  That could be awesome.

[vote for it][vote against it]-description
[5]-Raid Scrapyard, look for sheet metal.
[5-1]-Purchase canned/Non-perishable food. (Canned tomatoes, peaches, tomato paste, mushrooms, pasta, etc)
[1-1]-Give anklebiter some neurological programming.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1326 on: June 23, 2010, 03:01:40 pm »

[5]-Raid Scrapyard, look for sheet metal.
[2-1]-Give anklebiter some neurological programming.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1327 on: June 23, 2010, 04:33:50 pm »

Code: [Select]
[6]-Raid Scrapyard, look for sheet metal.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #1328 on: June 23, 2010, 04:56:05 pm »

[6]-Raid Scrapyard, look for sheet metal.
[3]-Get drugstore chemicals.  (Rubbing alcohol, peroxide, mineral oil, etc)
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #1329 on: June 23, 2010, 07:53:07 pm »

[7]-Raid Scrapyard, look for sheet metal.
[6-1]-Purchase canned/Non-perishable food. (Canned tomatoes, peaches, tomato paste, mushrooms, pasta, etc)
[4]-Get drugstore chemicals.  (Rubbing alcohol, peroxide, mineral oil, etc)
[3-1]-Give anklebiter some neurological programming.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1330 on: June 24, 2010, 12:02:56 am »

Surely some sort of electricity-producing algae that lives off of old fish heads would be a less conspicuous source of power?
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Urist McOverlord

• Bay Watcher
  • [Evil_Genius]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1331 on: June 24, 2010, 12:03:45 am »

[7]-Raid Scrapyard, look for sheet metal.
[6-2]-Purchase canned/Non-perishable food. (Canned tomatoes, peaches, tomato paste, mushrooms, pasta, etc)
[4]-Make or purchase metal propellers.
Magma: The cause of, and solution to, all life's problems.

If it moves, it wants to kill you. It may not try to, but it wants to.

maxicaxi

• Bay Watcher
  • Why? I have no idea.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1332 on: June 24, 2010, 12:10:51 am »

[8]-Raid Scrapyard, look for sheet metal.
[6-2]-Purchase canned/Non-perishable food. (Canned tomatoes, peaches, tomato paste, mushrooms, pasta, etc)
I have absolutely no idea what's going on in this fort any more. Migrants arrive, they die for some reason, the fort is flooded for another reason, then dwarves go mad, more dwarves die and I'm just laughing in my distress.
you cannot defeat the potato.

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1333 on: June 24, 2010, 12:14:40 am »

[9]-Raid Scrapyard, look for sheet metal.
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #1334 on: June 24, 2010, 01:18:53 am »

I like the plans, but that is thinking a little too far ahead at this point.  We should keep these plans in mind for future reference.

Post is http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=51651.msg1349956#msg1349956

This, basically. I'm not going to list those down.

Update incoming.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I
Pages: 1 ... 87 88 [89] 90 91 ... 140