Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 140

Author Topic: Man of SCIENCE!!  (Read 147535 times)

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
Re: Man of SCIENCE!!
« Reply #555 on: April 08, 2010, 08:55:03 am »

Then i give up, reason is hard to counter with the rule of cool :D
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: April 08, 2010, 08:58:17 am »

Then i give up, reason is hard to counter with the rule of cool :D

Your JOB is to counter reason with the Rule of SCIENCE!

Lasers and railguns (as well as their weaker but easier-to-make cousins, Gauss guns / coilguns) have no recoil.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: April 08, 2010, 09:41:32 am »

What? Railguns are recoil-less? The big guns that fire bits of metal at well over the speed of sound? If I remember correctly, those things need repaired after a few shots because the recoil rips them apart.

As for Von Neumann Machines, make sure to build in an override code to shut them all down. They tend to devour a little too indiscriminately.

For now, lets just get to the university. As awesome as our future plans might be, we aren't going to get anything done just sitting around.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: April 08, 2010, 09:47:57 am »

That's not the recoil, it's the stress on the rails from the projectile leaving at such high speeds. If you have enough bot to, say, switch out the rails... :3
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: April 08, 2010, 10:02:39 am »

The law of conservation of momentum has no (known) exceptions, unlike most physical laws. If a projectile that has mass leaves the barrel, the gun will be pushed backwards.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: April 08, 2010, 10:51:52 am »

What GryphGlyph said, and also this:

3: We should create a Genuine Star Wars Communicator that we can give to the boy, to earn his loyalty. It should contain a microphone that sends its signal back to a Radio Receiver stationed in our lab and plugged into the wall. This will let us spy on him and his friends. It should also have a speaker so we can give him advice or commands. Tell him the button turns it on or off, but the button actually just turns his speaker on or off. The microphone is always on.

Requires: Invent "Microphone", Invent "Radio Receiver", Invent "Speaker"

And I love the idea of making maglocks for the thugs' stashes. Now we just need some magnets ...
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: April 08, 2010, 04:46:31 pm »

Can we just test our drug on the rat already? we need to get something done.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: April 08, 2010, 10:45:47 pm »

That's not the recoil, it's the stress on the rails from the projectile leaving at such high speeds. If you have enough bot to, say, switch out the rails... :3

Alternately, use maglev rails so that nothing is actually physically touching anything else; you now have a super-rapid-firing smokeless soundless heatless high-velocity kinetic impactor.

There is a very good reason why the military is extremely interested in railguns.

Also dragnar, railguns do technically have recoil, but it's an extremely complicated recoil due to the way the magnetic forces work - you get recoil directly backwards, as well as recoil perpendicular to the rails. However, the correct design can use that recoil to load the next slug, thus creating a 'recoilless' rifle in that the holder feels no recoil.

The other thing is that unlike in a chemical explosive, Railguns and Coilguns waste very little energy; with a gunpowder charge, not all of the force goes into the bullet, in fact quite a lot is 'wasted' as the gas tries to expand in all directions, a Railgun or Coilgun in comparison has a much better ratio, which means they can accelerate the same projectile to the same speed as a normal gun, but suffer less recoil than the chemical equivilant.

Railguns also have much higher velocities than normal chemical guns, which means you can use really tiny bullets and still blow the ass out of whatever you're pointing at.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: April 08, 2010, 10:47:48 pm »

Can we just test our drug on the rat already? we need to get something done.

This. We have exactly one thing we've come relatively close to agreeing on.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

xtank5

• Bay Watcher
  • [STEM_CELL_TRANSPLANT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: April 08, 2010, 10:50:14 pm »

Alternately, use maglev rails so that nothing is actually physically touching anything else; you now have a super-rapid-firing smokeless soundless heatless high-velocity kinetic impactor.

Not soundless.  There is a sonic-boom.

Also:  Drug the rat.
IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM
Can't get enough Bolo.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: April 08, 2010, 10:52:33 pm »

Not soundless.  There is a sonic-boom.

Only if your projectile is supersonic; it doesn't have to be.

Launching railroad spikes at subsonic velocities is going to fuck anyone up. Not so good against a tank, but lethal against any poor bastard out in the open.

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: April 08, 2010, 10:54:55 pm »

Also dragnar, railguns do technically have recoil, but it's an extremely complicated recoil due to the way the magnetic forces work - you get recoil directly backwards, as well as recoil perpendicular to the rails. However, the correct design can use that recoil to load the next slug, thus creating a 'recoilless' rifle in that the holder feels no recoil.
Huh, interesting. I never knew that.

Anyway, yeah, lets test the chemicals on the rat, we can't just discuss things forever.

xtank5

• Bay Watcher
  • [STEM_CELL_TRANSPLANT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: April 08, 2010, 10:58:55 pm »

But we don't want to go subsonic.  It would hurt our PRIDE too much to make a subsonic man-killer, when we could make a supersonic tank-killer. Besides the boom would be one of two, and booms are awesome.
IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM
Can't get enough Bolo.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: April 08, 2010, 11:10:42 pm »

But we don't want to go subsonic.  It would hurt our PRIDE too much to make a subsonic man-killer, when we could make a supersonic tank-killer. Besides the boom would be one of two, and booms are awesome.

There's nothing wrong with planting railroad spikes into people's foreheads in suave but stylish silence.

The big supersonic tank-killers have too much recoil to be real assault weapons, they'll make lovely heavy weapons though.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: April 08, 2010, 11:29:49 pm »

The big supersonic tank-killers have too much recoil to be real assault weapons, they'll make lovely heavy weapons though.
I just don't understand, the gun is too big so you make it smaller?!?

The correct solution is to make whatever is using the gun bigger... If you are going small then you need something that can autonomously burrow into people's brains. If you want to turn your anti-tank railgun into an anti-personnel weapon, just load it with grapeshot...

Holes in the ground are satisfying, but boring. A city riddled with holes where billions of pieces of microscopic shrapnel tore through it and embedded themselves several metres into the ground underneath is a much more atmospheric place to have you zombies/mutants/death machines wandering around in...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 140