Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 140

Author Topic: Man of SCIENCE!!  (Read 147215 times)

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Man of SCIENCE!!
« Reply #300 on: March 27, 2010, 02:54:49 pm »

Right right right hang on

You know back in victorian days when they first discovered the elektrik?
These victorian people were all like: Oh hey sweet, the human body has elektrik. The elektrik coincides with the heart beat!
Do you know how they measured this
Do you know
They got the people to stick both limbs in two jars of salty water into which they had placed copper wires what they wired together through an (elektrik meter).
This worked
This measured heartbeats.
Measuring current in the body is not rocket science.

Yea. Crude "mind control" is in fact very simple, just zap the brain in the aproxiamtely right place can give extreme amounts of pain or pleasure, the main problem is avoiding infection, really.
This. And infection is not a problem as the rats do not have to survive.
Long Live United Forenia!

ZiggZugg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: March 27, 2010, 02:58:01 pm »

if we intend to use Jason as a guard decoy or whatever, its probably better that we have the proper skill to at least make our shenanigans seem somewhat credible.
Or his parents (if he has any) could die in a "accident" and we can take him under our wing and twist his pain from the loss into a undying gratitude for us and psychotic rage.

Yes, Jason has parents.
No, I don't think I'd like to test my hand at evading forensics teams before I even have a proper killbot to show for it.

Zapping rat brains is hardly ethical, and though I care not for the rat itself (nor ethics for that manner, I mean, hell, I want to initiate a grey goo apocalypse), the general populace does, and I'd rather not incite their ire just yet.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2010, 03:05:03 pm by ZiggZugg »

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: March 27, 2010, 03:04:11 pm »

Pandarsenic, is this possible?

Diakron

• Bay Watcher
  • Death Before Dishonor
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: March 27, 2010, 03:07:46 pm »

yes please panda can we please!!!
Back to Mafia with me!

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: March 27, 2010, 03:09:21 pm »

Yes, Jason has parents.

No, I don't think I'd like to test my hand at evading forensics teams before I even have a proper killbot to show for it.

Zapping rat brains is hardly ethical, and though I care not for the rat itself (nor ethics for that manner, I mean, hell, I want to initiate a grey goo apocalypse), the general populace does, and I'd rather not incite their ire just yet.
Ethics? We are living in the slums
We can cook the rats and sell them as snacks when we are done with them. In fact, that's a damn good idea. If only we had some ketchup...

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: March 27, 2010, 03:17:29 pm »

Rats go much better with pickles than with ketchup. Also I don't think anyone is going to object to us killing a few rats.

Dyjeccu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: March 27, 2010, 03:26:10 pm »

Quote from: naysayers
We cant stick wires in a rats head!
My dear colleagues, our objective with this experience is not to make Ratborg on our first go. The objective is knowledge! Power!

So we may break a few eggs on our way to this goal.. we gain from each experiment! Is not the brain a circuit? Is not the body a machine?

Do it.

ZiggZugg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: March 27, 2010, 03:39:03 pm »

Rats are small, numerous, and dirty; hardly something people would keep as a pet, but even still, torturing/eating rats will make people look at us funny. Remember, the goal is to get out of this dump and acquire the necessary facilities to be the awesome man of science we intend to be. Though we may not have much reason for the police to jail us now, I'd rather maintain discretion, so that when we DO have something that can kill a city in a second, there's little reason for anyone to look our way, at least until its too late. And I assure you, if people will make a huge fuss about lab rat testing for medicines that will likely aid mankind, I fairly sure they'll object to frying lab rats just because we can.

Again, I don't mind getting some learning experiences in, but I'd rather do so in a manner that will yield better gains. Actually having a functioning method to measure and possibly manipulate rat brain waves will give us a working method to improve upon AND possibly new knowledge on rat brain functions. Jamming electrodes into a rat's skull will leave us with a dead rat and a better understanding of how much power is needed to fry a rat's brain.

Let's put the rat brain studies on the back burner for now, and instead focus on something more productive: increase our programming skill so we can make better, more readily sold robots.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: March 27, 2010, 03:52:40 pm »

The ratborg plan is a great idea, but first we must practice breeding and studying so we have a control to compare to. This may be MAD SCIENCE but it is still science (and we're going to go through a lot of rats)

Also ZiggZugg we are scientists. Leaving the body of dozens of rats behind them is a normal thing for scientists to do period and we are MAD scientist - plus its not like we'll be advertising it. All the same, we need rats to start with so it means nothing discuss doing stuff with them yet.

Also, Cheddarius, you are vastly over-estimating how much work it is to stimulate a rat brain. We can't do it accurately yet, or safely, but thats why we need LOTS of rats. :P

Play with mixing chemicals and find out that missing recipe.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: March 27, 2010, 03:55:28 pm »

Build Digbot. Dig hole. Lab is hole.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: March 27, 2010, 03:59:51 pm »

I don't think anyone is going to object to us killing a few rats.
Precisely. Rome wasn't built in a day, and ratborg isn't gonna be either. The only problem being we haven't captured any rats yet.

For now, lets try to build the spybot. The only thing we are missing is another propeller, and we should be able to fashion a crude one from a couple of Tin Plates.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: March 27, 2010, 04:12:53 pm »

Last time making a propeller was tried, Pandarsenic said we need better tools to make one from a tin plate.

I vote we create a program for a spy bot as we wait for the trap to catch a rat.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: March 27, 2010, 04:25:37 pm »

How about some proper democracy? We can do more than one thing per turn, but it would be nice for pandarsenic to know how many people want what.
so, like, fill-in-yourself-poll:

Code: [Select]
What to do now:
PROJEKT RATBORG: stick wires in a rat to measure brain activity: |
PROJEKT ROGUELIKE: practice programming (somehow):
OTHER (fill in new options as you see fit):

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: March 27, 2010, 04:30:35 pm »

I vote we program Slaves to Armok. Then, Dwarf Fortress. Then, We have minions.

just like Real Life!
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: March 27, 2010, 04:32:35 pm »

Note we don't have a rat yet so PROJEKT RATBORG is off the table for now.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 140