Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 140

Author Topic: Man of SCIENCE!!  (Read 146962 times)

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Man of SCIENCE!!
« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2010, 02:28:38 pm »

Tell us about
REQUIRED SCIENCES to make CUSTOM ROBOT PARTS from more or less SCRATCH
Long Live United Forenia!

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2010, 02:30:31 pm »

Nuke: That's just KILLBOTICS. KILLBOTICS takes raw materials (metals and what have you) and lets you change them into killbots.

Criptfeind: That's, uh, gonna take a while. *Starts typing*
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2010, 02:32:26 pm »

I still say killbots. While having to take programming might seem harsh, we'll be able to use that to make our minions more intelligent. With pretty much any other field, you'd need a training skill or have to do it yourself anyway. The elaborate lab hardly seems like a requirement at all- surely we're going to get the biggest and best workshop we can anyway, right? ESPECIALLY when we've got killbots to help us build it in the first place.

Finally, not having any innate weapons doesn't strike me as particularly troublesome, since that just means we're not getting nailed down to one type of mass destruction. And of course, some crushing claws or drill arms might come with killbotics if we're really in a bind.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2010, 02:34:29 pm »

I say nanobots. Creating adamantine killbots from trash!
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 26, 2010, 02:46:04 pm »

Nuke: That's just KILLBOTICS. KILLBOTICS takes raw materials (metals and what have you) and lets you change them into killbots.
Didn't you just say it needed expensive parts bought of the black market? Pretty sure you just said that.
Long Live United Forenia!

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 26, 2010, 02:49:46 pm »

CHEMISTRY:
CHEMISTRY rarely needs actual parts, only chemicals. Duh. If you have substances you can mix and tubes to mix them in, you can perform CHEMISTRY. The gear you need as your level increases tends to be simple, relatively cheap things like titration equipment and centrifuges. While you'll soon need a dedicated lab for CHEMISTRY, it's easy and low-cost. In fact, the only real noticeable weakness of CHEMISTRY is that the costs of CHEMICALS raises over time, selling your wares to governments can make them more familiar with you (if that isn't what you want), and that you can and will be taken down if you try to become a drug lord without a lot of defenses and preparations.

The advantages are enormous. CHEMISTRY can produce superior batteries, reactors/engines, bullets (with a little PHYSICS anyway, but you start with an automatic level 1 in that [if you main PHYSICS the free level 1 switches to CHEMISTRY]), explosives, and missiles, as well as flamethrowers, chemical agents, and various drugs. With higher-level CHEMISTRY, you can make very powerful drugs (performance enhancement agents and otherwise), some of which world governments will buy wholesale. You also gain awareness of the side effects of taking multiple drugs/performance enhancers simultaneously, and can produce buffers, which can prevent low-level side effect interactions. In fact, the level 2 and level 3 performance enhancers with a buffer would likely be enough to get you through your first several encounters alone.

CHEMISTRY is not visually impressive at first, but rapidly gains as you produce explosives and chemical agents. Oh, and flamethrowers. And missiles. CHEMISTRY actually is needed for the biggest and baddest weapons around.

Sean: Nanobots are high-level (7 and up) KILLBOTICS that require high-level (also 7 and up) programming and a workshop tooled for nanotech/picotech.

Nuke: As your KILLBOTICS level raises, you can produce better robots from raw materials and even better ones with specialized parts, as well as making those parts yourself. Typically you're going to be able to make parts a level behind what you can utilize in an ideal robot for your level. However, at level 10 (maxed out) you become able to produce any part you need by yourself. You could spend four hours in a city dump and come rampaging out on a smelly engine of annihilation.

BIO and PROGRAMMING next.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 26, 2010, 02:55:52 pm »

Chemistry sounds awesome. Definitely should be secondary or one of our books.
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 26, 2010, 03:00:55 pm »

BIOLOGY:
BIO is the SCIENCE! of life. More specifically, that of remaking life to suit your needs. You'll need a lab soon for this, but you'll start with some of the elements you need. Mad Biology takes a "Why fight when these crimes against nature can do it for me?" approach, much like mid-level ECTOBIOLOGY. BIOLOGY suffers, like ECTOBIOLOGY, from a lack of weapons, but has a few more options in terms of biological weaponry, which is, y'know, its main focus. Additionally, you can produce a few living armaments for yourself or enhancements, such as claws and natural armor. However, these can make it difficult to show yourself in public, and visual indications of your madness will cause governments to take stronger action to you if they see what you've done, most often.

BIOLOGY is not without advantages, however. It can make you (personally) much harder to kill, and dying is not conducive to your agenda. Its creations are durable (and often regenerate), though you may have to convince an annoying number of them that you're worthy of their loyalty and/or fear. BIOLOGY is also an exception to the usual morale scale - while even the impressive KILLBOTICS and explosions of CHEMISTRY lose their effect over time, BIOLOGY's nightmare creatures and terrible engineered disease never lose their ability to damage enemy morale. This is unique ONLY to biology, and this combined with morale loss being cumulative both in short-term encounters and over long-term campaigns means that BIOLOGY is great for conquest. Also, it gives you a use for all those people you now rule.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 26, 2010, 03:07:13 pm »

I think they all sound awesome.

Dyjeccu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 26, 2010, 03:11:12 pm »

We do want minions. I figure we can attract them despite our field of interest.. fear will keep them in line.
But! to be unmistakably loyal? Either killbotics or mind control.

My Moon-based Death Ray
Panics
the people of Earth
Mock
my theories now!

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 26, 2010, 03:13:32 pm »

PROGRAMMING:
This discipline requires very little equipment at first - little more than the computer you code on. Of course, over time you need better and better computers, but frankly, with some cash, a few parts, and a level 1 KILLBOTICS book you can probably build a computer better than anything on the market. PROGRAMMING plays very differently from most disciplines. You won't wipe out militaries, destroy armies to erode public support, or make giant superweapons (except what you make with KILLBOTICS, at least). Rather, your attack will be a digital one - you will dismantle defenses electronically, collapse economies and make the internet your plaything. PROGRAMMING, uniquely, cannot produce any weapons. Ever. At least not on its own. Your attacks will be most effective when your victims don't know they're under any attack at all.

PROGRAMMING is a very difficult discipline to main, but you'll never want for cash or materials once you master the arts of identity theft, credit card fraud, etc., with the problem that if you're caught doing this you'll be locked up as a common criminal. Nobody will remember your bid for greatness, and the shame will be too great to stand.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 26, 2010, 03:14:37 pm »

Minions, by the way, come from people you conquer or who choose to follow you as your fame/infamy grows. In addition to, of course, any you gain with KILLBOTICS, BIOLOGY, or ECTOBIOLOGY.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 26, 2010, 03:21:54 pm »

Can you tell us of this ECTOBIOLOGY please? Also (if you have it) can we get a complete list of all SCIENCE?

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 26, 2010, 03:24:28 pm »

:::mumble grumble psychology is not boring:::
It's a SCIENCE! based on one thing! FEAR!... fear and manipulation... manipulation and manipulation... Its based on *two* things! On fear and manipulation... and ruthless efficiency! Its *three* bases are fear, and manipulation, and ruthless efficiency... and the ability to create an almost fanatical devotion to yourself in your minions... Its four... no... Amongst its strengths... Hmf... Amongst its strengths... are such elements as fear, manipulation, efficiency, loyalty...

So maybe not good for a Major focus perhaps, but I could see a couple levels in it being useful.

I want CHEMISTY and then PHYSICS though.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2010, 03:30:47 pm by GlyphGryph »

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 26, 2010, 03:28:29 pm »

Urgh, biology sounds awesome, but... but...

Maybe main KILLBOTICS, second CHEMISTRY, Book PROGRAMMING and BIOLOGY, and end up with hideous crimes against God piloting semi-autonomous flamethrower mechs?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 140