Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 140

Author Topic: Man of SCIENCE!!  (Read 147144 times)

Diakron

• Bay Watcher
  • Death Before Dishonor
    • View Profile
Re: Man of SCIENCE!!
« Reply #285 on: March 27, 2010, 02:19:40 pm »

i like the idea of mapping a rat's brain, when we get the stuff we can make ratborgs (i think we even have the skills to do it if its simple stuff)
Back to Mafia with me!

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: March 27, 2010, 02:21:02 pm »

Ponder Remote Control Car Chassis Plans: 1 Metal Pipe
Search for trash on the streets, particularly aluminum cans

Then make a (rat)brain-manipulator out of copper wire and a simple circuitry unit.
This is way, way, way, way, way, way, way too ambitious. We are making extremely stupid toy robots right now. We do not have the capability to make mind-control units. This is not just beyond our ability, this is beyond modern science, and probably quite a bit of future science too.
It doesn't have to work. It just has to be able to send and receive the elektrik, in a rat's brain. We can study rat brain patterns whilst we drug them, whilst we torture them, and whilst we take two rats of opposite gender and leave them and a bottle of wine in a shoebox. Then, after long study, we can try to emulate simple feelings like pain and pleasure. I was hoping to go straight to mind control.
Long Live United Forenia!

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: March 27, 2010, 02:29:11 pm »

You want to build a functioning million-dollar MRI machine from a piece of circuitry and copper wire?

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: March 27, 2010, 02:29:58 pm »

Hey than we can sell it and build more!

Urist McOverlord

• Bay Watcher
  • [Evil_Genius]
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: March 27, 2010, 02:32:37 pm »

I like the plan for future ratborgs as well. We wouldn't really need to go straight for mind control, but displaying neuroelectrical activity on our laptop screen is very easily the first step. And certainly we can do that.
Magma: The cause of, and solution to, all life's problems.

If it moves, it wants to kill you. It may not try to, but it wants to.

xtank5

• Bay Watcher
  • [STEM_CELL_TRANSPLANT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: March 27, 2010, 02:33:45 pm »

You want to build a functioning million-dollar MRI machine from a piece of circuitry and copper wire?

We are a genius aren't we?
IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM
Can't get enough Bolo.

ZiggZugg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: March 27, 2010, 02:34:59 pm »

Making a roguelike seems like a good idea, though I am wondering if sleep deprivation will factor into our plans. Regardless of whether we program or sleep the night away, we should probably make a note to sell off the programming book in the morning, as we no longer need it.

As for rat brain studies, I'm not sure I'd like to use up sedatives to fry a rat's brain just yet. I'm pretty sure most responsible parents wouldn't want their children associating with a man that lives in a basement and fries rat brains, and if we intend to use Jason as a guard decoy or whatever, its probably better that we have the proper skill to at least make our shenanigans seem somewhat credible.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: March 27, 2010, 02:36:50 pm »

Re: "We certainly can do that": I don't think so. MRI machines and the like cost hundreds of thousands of dollars or more. They are sophisticated pieces of machinery that require sophisticated construction. You cannot make a neural scanner out of friggin' circuitry and wire.

We are supposedly a genius. We will become a genius in the future. Right now, we are about as smart as a high school student in terms of programming and biology.
Putting mold in a Coke bottle is about the limits of our genius.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: March 27, 2010, 02:38:02 pm »

Or knowledge is limited, but our propensity for creativity, learning, and evil is unalienable and incredible.

Nonetheless, let's not do the rat thing. It will never work.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: March 27, 2010, 02:39:20 pm »

this is beyond modern science
Amazingly, WRONG!!! Scientists have managed to use electrodes to control a rat's movements. There was also once a demonstration where the same technique was used to make a bull charging the scientist stop in it's tracks when he pressed a button. Only very simple control is possible at the moment, and only on simpler animal minds, but it can be done.

That said, we don't have anywhere near the right equipment to build enough hi-quality electrodes for any of the stuff that's being discussed.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: March 27, 2010, 02:40:56 pm »

Holy wow! That is pretty interesting.

But yeah, no way it's going to work.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: March 27, 2010, 02:45:45 pm »

No... I think you might be confusing MRI for something else here, cos MRI is not used to monitor brain activity, it is used to make pictures of inside peoples bodies.
I am thinking more like an ECG but for the brain.
Long Live United Forenia!

Urist McOverlord

• Bay Watcher
  • [Evil_Genius]
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: March 27, 2010, 02:49:21 pm »

Point. Nonetheless, Operation Ratborg shall be kept on in the back of our mind
Magma: The cause of, and solution to, all life's problems.

If it moves, it wants to kill you. It may not try to, but it wants to.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: March 27, 2010, 02:49:26 pm »

We are a genius aren't we?
<_<
>_>
Yessss....
if we intend to use Jason as a guard decoy or whatever, its probably better that we have the proper skill to at least make our shenanigans seem somewhat credible.
Or his parents (if he has any) could die in a "accident" and we can take him under our wing and twist his pain from the loss into a undying gratitude for us and psychotic rage.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: March 27, 2010, 02:52:38 pm »

Yea. Crude "mind control" is in fact very simple, just zap the brain in the aproxiamtely right place can give extreme amounts of pain or pleasure, the main problem is avoiding infection, really.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 140