Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Migrants are evil  (Read 3928 times)

lastofthelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Migrants are evil
« on: March 26, 2010, 02:11:40 am »

I swear, Migrants are the buggiest, most vile, stupidist, most annoying part of this game!

I'm on a reclaim fortress. My initial 7 dwarves were all killed by imps from an open volcano. They did NOTHING. My reclaim dwarves half died due to dodging in Magma, out of them 3 were left. After this, what happened?

Beginning of Fall 1: Migrant Wave
Beginning of Winter 1: ....by which point a named fire imp has set fire to the entire wilderness, destroying all my food and booze, and EVERYONE IS STARVING: Migrant Wave.

I can now support a Sherrif, and everyone is STILL STARVING.

Seriously, will this stupid f@?#!!@#@#! migrant thing EVER be fixed?

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Migrants are evil
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2010, 02:15:35 am »

You make it sound as though there have been new content releases over the last year and a half.

ShadowLuigi147

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McPicard has entered a martial trance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2010, 02:19:22 am »

I'm not sure what the problem is. The migrants didn't destroy your booze, the imps did.  The only migrant issue I can think of is them appearing from a wall or something.
Ah, Dwarf Fortress. The only game where it's considered perfectly normal to discuss the most efficient method of farming and butchering friendly sentient beings for their valuable bones...

lastofthelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2010, 02:20:53 am »

I should not have 25 dwarves by the beginning of the first winter. That is stupid and absurd. It is doubly absurd when half of my dwarves are starving anyways. As it is, migrants basically come in maximum numbers until you hit max dwarves.

czolus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2010, 02:41:13 am »

Hey, all they heard was that there was a new fort.  They weren't told that someone let all the food get lit aflame. ;)
Sic sum in ignis; sic sum quiritatio

Bruwin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2010, 03:29:21 am »

I had a fort about a month ago that had no hunting, no farms, etc. I just wanted to see how long the fort would last with no food or booze. Turns out it lasted a really freakin long time. I ended up with a massive tantrum spiral that reduced 40 some dwarves to 2. Then I had 20 migrants to replenish the stock. Which, after a bit, started another tantrum spiral... 1 dwarf left. Migrants. 15 showed up. Tantrum spiral. 17 migrants show up!

This went on for 3 years. After the first year and a half, I started getting the message about migrants coming despite the danger. After the third year, I tossed the fort completely. I guess some dwarves are just masochists and enjoy tantruming all the time.

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2010, 03:32:50 am »

OP, is this your first time playing DF?
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

Renault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2010, 04:30:04 am »

Stupid and absurd? How harsh your feelings!
To be fair, they probably assumed there was a lot of money there, especially as it was a reclaimed fortress, meaning there probably was. As dire as food stocks may have been, how would they have known? To say its a buggy system seems a tad extreme. Unless they're clipping through walls or spawning on fire it seems to be operating exactly as intended.
And I shudder to think how annoying it would be if migrants came less quickly. Who would we have to draft into our meat shield wrestler squadrons?

armadilloHD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2010, 05:19:08 am »

I set the population cap to 7.  I get a grand total of one immigrant a year for some reason "A Migrant has Arrived".  I grimaced slightly but then decided it was manageable since I had prepared about 70 obsidian bedrooms just in case.

I find it more manageable AND more realistic.

Renault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2010, 05:24:52 am »

I set the population cap to 7.  I get a grand total of one immigrant a year for some reason "A Migrant has Arrived".  I grimaced slightly but then decided it was manageable since I had prepared about 70 obsidian bedrooms just in case.

1 migrant....a year? That's weird in two ways:
1. I'd never had a migrant/migrant wave show up when I was at the pop cap. It'd odd they keep coming for you. I wonder why that is.
2. How do you ever, I dont know, do anything? I can't comprehend how long things must take, with only 7+1/year dwarves. Then again, that's probably my own ignorance speaking, having never tried it. Just seems peculiar.

armadilloHD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2010, 05:33:13 am »

1 migrant....a year? That's weird in two ways:
1. I'd never had a migrant/migrant wave show up when I was at the pop cap. It'd odd they keep coming for you. I wonder why that is.
2. How do you ever, I dont know, do anything? I can't comprehend how long things must take, with only 7+1/year dwarves. Then again, that's probably my own ignorance speaking, having never tried it. Just seems peculiar.
Well actually I have carved out a fairly nice home, things do go by rather slowly compared to some of my more populated forts, however, on the bright side, my fps is fast enough for things not to crawl.  I haven't done anything really big, but my workforce is divided up pretty thinly.  Also, I've jacked a grizzly bear, a leopard, a giant leopard and a giant jaguar from the nearby elves :D.  I have no military to speak of though.

They probably keep coming because of some oversight in the programming but I'm not sure.

Dorf3000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2010, 06:17:31 am »

You don't have to allow migrants into your fortress.  Set up a meeting zone over a bridge, with no way inside the fortress.  Wait for the schmucks to gather on the bridge and then drop them in a pit.  How deep the pit is and what waits for them at the bottom is up to you.
The only 'trouble' they give you then is that they fill up public coffins (their name gets put on it even if nobody in the fort ever met them, saw them or found their bones) so you have to build more, or give a tomb to everybody you care about.
I had a tigerman get elected mayor and he promptly mandated 3 bowls of cereal.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2010, 08:15:58 am »

Make migrants masons.
Build giant castle.
Problem solved, have a cookie.

buckets

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2010, 08:46:28 am »

Biggest swearword ever.

I don't realy understand the migrant rage, usualy I just build a sweet ass dining hall and let the new comers sleep on the floor. Even food issues become less of a problem with more experience.

Asmodeous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2010, 10:12:56 am »

You don't have to allow migrants into your fortress.  Set up a meeting zone over a bridge, with no way inside the fortress.  Wait for the schmucks to gather on the bridge and then drop them in a pit.  How deep the pit is and what waits for them at the bottom is up to you.
The only 'trouble' they give you then is that they fill up public coffins (their name gets put on it even if nobody in the fort ever met them, saw them or found their bones) so you have to build more, or give a tomb to everybody you care about.

Instead of setting up the meeting zone I suggest drafting every single one of the bastards you don't want and stationing them on the bridge. That way you don't lose a useful dwarf.

This is referred to in my circle as the "Naming Bridge™", where every dwarf goes to receive a new name. Directly from Armok. Usually deep within the magma.
(There is a story behind this. . .)

This is an Alder Omelette. All craftsdwarfship is of highest quality. It is encircled with bands of cheese. It menaces with spikes of bacon, ham, and peppers. On the object is an image of dwarves in egg white. The dwarves are eating.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4