Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: 10,000 Leagues Under the... Earth? (Inspired by Undergrotto)  (Read 6309 times)

Alkyon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 10,000 Leagues Under the... Earth? (Inspired by Undergrotto)
« Reply #45 on: March 30, 2010, 02:58:34 am »

Especially if the stalactites are massive and full of living quarters, like the ice city underneath a glacier in Skies of Aracadia.
Pics, please? That sounds awesome. I am going to put gem windows in the stalagmites/ctites for the look. They will be awesome.
*Searches Google Images*
Hmm...pics...pics...Argh, it's all reposts of the cover art!
*Switches to websearch and finds random links to youtube*
Ah, here we go, somebody mashed all the cutscenes for the game together.  There's a good shot near the end of this clip.  It's not as impressive as actually walking through the city (it's the ice dungeon), as you actually walk the pathways between icicle buildings.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHHv-A6IQMg
The clip starts at about 5:50, and the really nice shots stars at about 7:00.  The individual shots are short, but it's youtube, you can pause it ;D .  If you watch the whole clip, you'll catch that Vyse (the guy in blue) says he can see the sky below him.  It's because Arcadia is one of those fantasy worlds where every landmass is floating over a void.  Hence the game's name:  Skies of Arcadia.

You know...that would be a rather interesting DF mod...if you dig deep enough, you dig through the world, and you find an uneven roof with nothing but bottomless chasm tiles below...
« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 03:01:21 am by Alkyon »
Since when has practical had anything to do with dwarfy?

Kadath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 30, 2010, 04:33:48 am »

In-game: Almost 14 years. Admittedly, after the first 4-5 years I turned on [SPEED:0] and in reality I should've been around 50 years. Out-of-game: average of 4-8 hours a day for a little over four months.

US minimum wage=7.5$/h
Labour cost of undergrotto (at least) = 7.5$ * 6 * 30 *4 = 5400$

:P

UristMcGunsmith

• Bay Watcher
  • "Shhh! My common sense is tingling!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 30, 2010, 05:14:27 am »

In-game: Almost 14 years. Admittedly, after the first 4-5 years I turned on [SPEED:0] and in reality I should've been around 50 years. Out-of-game: average of 4-8 hours a day for a little over four months.

US minimum wage=7.5$/h

7.5? Jesus where the hell do you live? Beverly Hills?

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 30, 2010, 08:29:15 am »

It's $9.20/h here, but I live in Canadia so that amounts to about three dollars US daily.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 30, 2010, 08:50:43 am »

For the mushroom houses: Maybe use special color stone to make them look like plump helmets?

For consoler/arena: It's not really an arena, because the goblins don't actually fight. They just get stabbed and hurled into the pit, where they fall 20 stories and explode. Also nobody actually watches them do it, they are only seen dying on the floor. Anyway, maybe have a bridge system with goblins to drop them into your temple, if the Spartan death pit is too cliche? What would happen is you'd have two rooms that feed into another room with bridges, which has a bridge drop that is above your temple. Both rooms would have cages. Have your dwarves put a lot of goblins in the cages, then pull a lever to open one, and then pull the bridge to put goblins in the main drop room whenver you want to drop goblins. In the other one, store your extra caged goblins. When one room is empty, switch and repeat.

You could make a meeting hall in the temple to Armok. An advantage of this would be that you could make it 1x1, and any idle dwarves will level up social skill really fast. So you have a powerful emergency fighting force, and your dwarves will be epic consolers.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 30, 2010, 04:26:05 pm »

US minimum wage=7.5$/h

7.5? Jesus where the hell do you live? Beverly Hills?

Last time I looked it was still $7 in Beverly Hills.

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 30, 2010, 07:31:07 pm »

Its almost $9 where I live. Anyways, I think I will make the mushroom houses out of cut rock (designate and cut them instead of build them). Also, I might just make an arena. And as for the Temple, anything that should appear in it? Magma? Blood? Caged/chained animals? I am working my way up on the epic consolers. They are getting there slowly.
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 30, 2010, 07:48:20 pm »

Anyways, I think I will make the mushroom houses out of cut rock

I'd encourage you to not smooth the roofs/'caps' of the mushrooms, then; it'll give them a more organic look.

Let's see... first things that come to mind for temples are wicked altars, chained goats, lots of magma, gothic architecture, ominous quasi-satanic circles (either stone, mural, magma, or a combo), statues, some sort of larger carving (ie. a dragon, though that'd be crazy complicated), waterfalls... hm. I dunno, sure there's more you can wring out of the idea. Brainstorming is like the funnest part of subprojects like this :D

Alkyon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 30, 2010, 07:50:38 pm »

Make your temple a stockpile of useless things.  Create massive stockpiles of soap, fill barrels with spider venom.  All that sort of useless stuff.
Since when has practical had anything to do with dwarfy?

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 30, 2010, 08:03:05 pm »

The blood would be well accomplished by my goblin-dropping idea, I think. Sorry if I seem to be pushing this a lot, but I think it would be really awesome.

In addition, perhaps you could have chained megabeasts surrounded by magma moats to ensure safety. Or chained goblins. Hmmm, this could be really epic. What I'm thinking is several "islands" surrounded by magma with chained goblins on them. Bridges from the mainland can connect to the islands for delivery. No-quality upright spike traps surround the chains, and they are activated by pressure plates in the entrance. Whenever dwarves walk in, they will be greeted by the joyful sight of screaming goblin scum being impaled on spike traps. (Is there some way to have scourges or whips activate on command? That would be better.)

Also, at the very end of the temple, you could have a huge lake of magma. Above it, you would have a large room with two bridges, each about half the room's size. These would be filled with cats - the only ones in your fortress. Each year, you could draft all the dwarves (or Armok-worshipping dwarves - just choose a popular deity to be Armok, like Ber Steelearthens was chosen) and send them to watch the ritual to blood. The High Priest pulls one of the levers, and half the cats are dropped into the magma. Immediately afterwards, the High Priest pulls a different lever that unleashes 30 goblin wrestlers into the middle of the crowd. Those who die are thrown into the magma. Those who live are celebrated as the chosen of Armok. Indeed, you could have custom job titles or something. Live through one ritual and you become a Servant of Armok, live through five and you become a Priest of Armok, live through ten and you become one of Armok's Chosen, etc.

Waterfalls, that's good. You could have a gauntlet. Goblins are released on one end; to get out of the fortress or to dwarves, they have to run through a long hallway. First they are doused in a magmafall. Then they have to run through a long hall with several scattered 1-scourge weapon traps and maybe some novice marksdwarves to pick off the unlucky. If they live, they are beaten down by the worshippers. This might set all your Armok worshippers on fire, though.

Another thing, maybe you could have a long 1-tile-wide hallway of goblins in your dining room? You might want to seperate them with fortifications so they don't clump up, like this:
WGW
WFW
WGW
WFW

And so on. Anyway, the walls would be made of glass, and all the dining tables/chairs would face it, so dwarves could laugh at the goblins. To resupply, you could have a pit/bridge combination like Retro did in his tower. Then you'd have a ballista at one end, and every time you wanted to celebrate you'd fire it repeatedly and kill off all the goblins in a shower of blood. Even better, you could make the sidewalls fortifications, so that the blood would spray out onto the dwarves! It'd be like a water show, ponchos required. Also, it would be a good idea to have a channel at the end to drop the ammo in without using it, so you don't have to churn out tons of adamantine ballista arrows or whatnot.

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 30, 2010, 09:03:09 pm »

An epic gauntlet you say? how about catching the most dangerous beasts on your map and breeding them without taming them. Now capture a huge amount of goblins, elves, ect.

Put 6 champions in there with masterwork armour and weapons, but have none have any kills.

Release EVERYTHING. If you have hills and ramps in your arena then all the better. Watch the carnage. If the goblins win allow them to leave and fight them another time. If the animals win, they rule the pit. Toss down any nobles or goblins until the last animal gets killed. If the champions win, joy! The champion with the most kills gets put into pit fights that get increasingly more challenging until they get killed.

Actually, i'm going to do this now. Back in a week.

my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 30, 2010, 09:18:54 pm »

Cheddarius, why not seperate the gauntlet aspects from the temple aspects? Temples tend to be places of sacred echo-y silence and gravity and whatnot; the gauntlet would be more of a dwarven entertainment center despite the bloodshed. Plus if TGL does both that's more projects to work on! It allows the temple to be more elaborately temple-y and the gauntlet to be even more over-the-top gauntlet-y.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 30, 2010, 09:20:27 pm »

That sounds good!

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 30, 2010, 11:42:45 pm »

I think I am going to have my temple have pools of magma that are fed by aqueducts below (so the temple wont be on the bottom floor). Each pool of magma will have one center tile that will hold a statue made of some metal. The hallway leading up will be covered by these magma pools/statues until you reach 2 doors, leading to the hall. Where there will be rows upon rows of table/chairs until you reach the top where there is one table/chair combo facing all the rest. On either side will be 2 more magma pools. Lots of statues will be around and I will make a mural for the floor. However, I don't know what it should be. Also, there will be lots of creatures chained up. I just need creatures now... Hurrah elves... :)
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

Renault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 31, 2010, 03:42:08 pm »

You know, any of the ideas you dont end up using, I'm going to shamelessly steal for my own projects in the future, heh. These all make me giddy with potential for awesomeness.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5