Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: For Science!  (Read 8741 times)

Gladius_Lucix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: For Science!
« Reply #45 on: March 28, 2010, 07:27:32 pm »

Glass furniture, weapons, and blocks are magma safe.  Try a copper cage instead.
No they aren't. They're fire- safe though.
Constructed glass furniture is magma safe (including pumps made from green glass blocks, screws, and pipes).  Unconstructed glass blocks and furniture dumped into magma will melt however - apparently it's possible for a material to be magma-safe only when constructed.
Doesn't really matter. Glass was just the first thing that popped to mind as I was considering the experiment. Copper is fine too. And I don't really feel it would be fair of me to propose a second unrelated experiment (on the magma safety of glass) while my first has not been performed.
Resistance is NOT futile, IT MAKES TOAST!

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 29, 2010, 11:38:05 am »

Glass furniture, weapons, and blocks are magma safe.  Try a copper cage instead.
No they aren't. They're fire- safe though.
Constructed glass furniture is magma safe (including pumps made from green glass blocks, screws, and pipes).  Unconstructed glass blocks and furniture dumped into magma will melt however - apparently it's possible for a material to be magma-safe only when constructed.
Doesn't really matter. Glass was just the first thing that popped to mind as I was considering the experiment. Copper is fine too. And I don't really feel it would be fair of me to propose a second unrelated experiment (on the magma safety of glass) while my first has not been performed.
Especially when there's already been a good enough test that I linked to.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Pafferguy

• Bay Watcher
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 29, 2010, 12:12:46 pm »

Experiment Name:
Imps deserve to die
Experiment Purpose:
Can an underground feature be utterly destroyed by a cave-in?
Specifically, if you channel out all sides and the top of a magma pool (not possible with a pipe), and dig out all area below it, will the huge floating chunk of rock and its magma-filled chewy center cave in?  And, if so, is the magma destroyed in the crash?
Experiment size:
Not as awesome: Do this to an underground pool
Awesome: Kill the imps, as described above
HOLY BOOZE THAT'S AWESOME: Embark on a giant map that contains a cave river from beginning to end, and dig out the entire thing (Or destroy the HFS)
Notes:
It seems like digging all around something would force it to cave in, but I am not sure how that would interact with underground features.
I only specifically mentioned magma pools because they are pretty small and thus easy to dig all around.
"Battle not with megabeasts, lest ye become a megabeast, and if you gaze into the chasm, the chasm gazes also into you."- Friedrich Nietzsche

Pkassad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 29, 2010, 01:09:01 pm »

1) In the past I was trying to make a fast delivery system for military dwarfs around my map.  I came up with the idea of using high pressure water tunnels to move dwarfs around faster then their normal speed.  (Maybe even be able to move piles of junk and turn it into a crude conveyor belt.)  Would you be able to test this out.  Some ideas would be to have multiple pressurized entrances triggered right as you pass to keep flow up.. mind you i have not actually tested it.

Yes but then the three children hanging off her will catch fire.
And that's stopped people before...?

Alkyon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 29, 2010, 05:11:06 pm »

Experiment Name:
Imps deserve to die
Experiment Purpose:
Can an underground feature be utterly destroyed by a cave-in?
Specifically, if you channel out all sides and the top of a magma pool (not possible with a pipe), and dig out all area below it, will the huge floating chunk of rock and its magma-filled chewy center cave in?  And, if so, is the magma destroyed in the crash?
Experiment size:
Not as awesome: Do this to an underground pool
Awesome: Kill the imps, as described above
HOLY BOOZE THAT'S AWESOME: Embark on a giant map that contains a cave river from beginning to end, and dig out the entire thing (Or destroy the HFS)
Notes:
It seems like digging all around something would force it to cave in, but I am not sure how that would interact with underground features.
I only specifically mentioned magma pools because they are pretty small and thus easy to dig all around.

That sounds like it would be a fun experiment.  Turn off cave-ins until you're finished digging and then turn them on.  Or simply leave the whole boiling cauldron magma held up by one tiny little stone and use a non-legendary sacrificial miner to dig it out, perhaps while a troublesome noble makes an "inspection" of the digging?  Even with cave-ins turned on, you shouldn't have any worry about the bowl-o-magma collapsing until you removed that last piece, you'd be surprised how much a single floor tile can hold up.
Since when has practical had anything to do with dwarfy?

Blackburn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 29, 2010, 05:17:58 pm »

Or, if you don't wanna kill anyone (for some reason), just build a support and link it to a lever.

Pafferguy

• Bay Watcher
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 29, 2010, 06:59:17 pm »

Turn off cave-ins until you're finished digging and then turn them on.

Turn... off... cave-ins...  What is this madness?!?  Suck it up!  Take your giant boulders filled with an explosion of magma LIKE A MAN!
"Battle not with megabeasts, lest ye become a megabeast, and if you gaze into the chasm, the chasm gazes also into you."- Friedrich Nietzsche

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 31, 2010, 10:42:34 pm »

woo it works it really works! you can get a megabeast knock up through cat spore transplant and with out a child tag.
so far this means any creature can give birth.
edit: the last birth was one not save thus was a dragon by name.
here is the one with a dragon parts
« Last Edit: March 31, 2010, 10:51:09 pm by Rumrusher »
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 31, 2010, 11:19:03 pm »

Now you must make a wagon give birth.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 31, 2010, 11:30:24 pm »

Not to be a killjoy, but for the 'can an underground feature totally be destroyed' one... yeah, they can. UG rivers generate water in its 21 'waterfall' origin tiles; UG pools and magma pools are just amounts of water or magma sitting underground. There's nothing magical about them or anything; once they've been incorporated into the map they're just another part of the terrains. The magic is just in the map generation.

:0

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 31, 2010, 11:47:20 pm »

I'd like to carry your supplies with reduced torque requirements, if you know what I mean.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 01, 2010, 12:16:23 am »

that won't be too har.. oh wait I need to shorten the breeding time down to instant to pull that off or the creature will die dang. you just ask to get a sperm pregnant. but really if I don't go insane form the poor pc locking up or insane from all the save scumming I might go insane from the fact it works. well I hope DF10 is good because I need some brain bleach to remove the image of wagina pushing out a wagy.
edit: also I know this could be some silly April fools prank but still Wagina
« Last Edit: April 01, 2010, 12:25:19 am by Rumrusher »
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 01, 2010, 12:31:11 am »

I guess I didn't think of any literal implications of a wagon giving birth. I just thought it would be interesting seeing as how they are multi-tile creatures.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 01, 2010, 12:43:11 am »

I would have to imagine wagonlings as a little red wagon kind of thing. I imagine they'd make quite a good trade good.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 01, 2010, 12:47:38 am »

Didn't someone do this? And the Carippo?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5