Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: For Science!  (Read 8728 times)

Alkyon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: For Science!
« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2010, 09:29:21 pm »

Massive:  A massive flaming monument to all that is Dwarf.
Perhaps your, ah, word choice could be a bit better. :P
A massive, burning monument to the glory Armok?

I have managed to set coke floors on fire before via a mishap involving magma-fall anti-goblin device.
Were they natural or constructed floors? That could make the difference.
Constructed.  They were coke which does not happen naturally (you have to refine it from lignite or bitimous coal) and I lined the floor of my death chamber around the iron drainage grates with coke constructions because I thought it would be amusing.  I do not, however, remember if the floor was made out of coke floor-tiles or coke road.  (Insert a joke here about a road of cocaine).
Since when has practical had anything to do with dwarfy?

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2010, 09:37:16 pm »

Yeah, that works. I made a joke, but it was kind of dumb, never mind. >_>

Kyronea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2010, 09:42:08 pm »

I'm just wondering why you'd build a floor of coke. It doesn't seem like your average construction material.

Then again this is a game where you can hold up an entire skyscraper with a pillar of soap...
I have a woodcutter walking around who cancels his jobs and passes out every once and a while because he lost 3 of his 8 lungs

Alkyon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 27, 2010, 09:47:22 pm »

I'm just wondering why you'd build a floor of coke. It doesn't seem like your average construction material.

Then again this is a game where you can hold up an entire skyscraper with a pillar of soap...

I had a magma source for smelting, and no iron to make into steel, hence a source of incredibly cheap construction material that is worth more than stone.  1 Lignite=2 Coke, 1 Bitimous Coal=3 Coke, if you're using magma smelters.   And since the bars were filling up my bins, my dwarves couldn't snort it and get high, and couldn't be used to make bins or anything else of worth, I decided to turn the coke into construction fodder.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 27, 2010, 09:59:54 pm »

What is the farthest distance that a dwarf can be catapulted by a raised bridge? Are dwarves injured if they hit a wall during their 'flight' or only when they hit the ground?  ???

immibis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 27, 2010, 10:14:45 pm »

Glass furniture, weapons, and blocks are magma safe.  Try a copper cage instead.
No they aren't. They're fire- safe though.
If I wanted ramps I would've designated ramps, dammit!

Kyronea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 27, 2010, 10:48:35 pm »

I had a magma source for smelting, and no iron to make into steel, hence a source of incredibly cheap construction material that is worth more than stone.  1 Lignite=2 Coke, 1 Bitimous Coal=3 Coke, if you're using magma smelters.   And since the bars were filling up my bins, my dwarves couldn't snort it and get high, and couldn't be used to make bins or anything else of worth, I decided to turn the coke into construction fodder.
Ah. Sensible, practical, and a good idea.

Although I must say in your position I'd have been pretty pissed to see all that lignite and bituminous coal and not have any iron ore. Seems like such a waste, even if you can turn it into a construction material.
I have a woodcutter walking around who cancels his jobs and passes out every once and a while because he lost 3 of his 8 lungs

Alkyon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 27, 2010, 10:51:50 pm »

I had a magma source for smelting, and no iron to make into steel, hence a source of incredibly cheap construction material that is worth more than stone.  1 Lignite=2 Coke, 1 Bitimous Coal=3 Coke, if you're using magma smelters.   And since the bars were filling up my bins, my dwarves couldn't snort it and get high, and couldn't be used to make bins or anything else of worth, I decided to turn the coke into construction fodder.
Ah. Sensible, practical, and a good idea.

Although I must say in your position I'd have been pretty pissed to see all that lignite and bituminous coal and not have any iron ore. Seems like such a waste, even if you can turn it into a construction material.

Indeed, up to the point where I noticed that I had a bunch of floor tiles that were flashing red and yellow and were on fire.  Then I felt proud and wished I hadn't killed off most of my dwarves by flooding my fort with magman.  Now it's just frustrating because I've never been able to replicate those results.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 27, 2010, 10:55:50 pm »

Glass furniture, weapons, and blocks are magma safe.  Try a copper cage instead.
Yes, they are.  It's been thoroughly tested, and a link to said test can be found on the wiki.  Or at least it could have been.  The page seems to have been lost.  You'd have to find the thread using the forum's search function.

Edit:  Got it; http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=27423.msg333562#msg333562
« Last Edit: March 27, 2010, 11:03:05 pm by LegoLord »
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Kidiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 28, 2010, 04:43:53 pm »

Long time no update, but school got in the way. I haven't had a chance to play all weekend. At the moment it's a quarter to twelve and Battlestar Galactica's about to start, so I guess everything will have to wait until Monday, maybe Tuesday. And I'll be gone from the 2nd through the 11th. I won't be able to update then either. With the new version coming out next week-ish, I'm not quite certain how this will all continue. We'll see! Anyway, just letting you know that the project hasn't stopped. Just, a bit delayed.
Veni, Vidi, Pompeii.
Soylent Green is kittens!
Sometimes, when my Dorfs are exceptionally stupid again, I wonder what exactly the [INTELLIGENT]-tag does.

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #40 on: March 28, 2010, 05:10:54 pm »

Experiment Name:
Everlasting Flame II
Experiment Purpose:
Can constructions made out of flammable materials (coal, coke, charcoal, etc.) be set alight to make the dwarfiest of all dwarf constructions?
Experiment Size:
Medium:  A pumping system to flood a corridor, or set of corridors, made of coal walls and floors to set alight.  The pumping system must have a shut-off to better see the results.
Massive:  A massive flaming monument to all that is Dwarf.
Notes:
I have managed to set coke floors on fire before via a mishap involving magma-fall anti-goblin device.  However, my subsequent tests creating flaming walls/floors have been unsuccessful.  I suspect that the flaw relies in my ignition system:  coke/coal constructions are, like all constructions, magma proof.  I propose that coke/coal constructions might be vulnerable to either temperature or fire.  Thus the the spark is either a flammable object or a non-meltable object that has reached magma tempurature resting either on or next to a coke/coal construction.  The purpose of this test is to determine if either high-temperature items, or items with the "flame" tag on them (i.e. on fire) will ignite the coal constructions.
I do not think constructions burn. What I do know is that if you make a wall out of a burning material then the wall will not be on fire and later when you deconstruct the wall the material will be burning still. Here is proof in the form of a movie of a wall being deconstructed. I do not show the construction in the movie, It required that the wall be designated to be built with the block first then suspended, then the block was set on fire in the chamber to the side, after this unsuspending the job and a dwarf will build the wall though the dwarf will catch fire and die(thus the deconstructing dwarf was sad).
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Alkyon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 28, 2010, 06:29:58 pm »

I didn't think Constructions caught fire either, that's why I built a coal road through my lava self defense waterfall in front of my entrance/trade depot.  I suspect that while constructions are lava proof, they are not "fire proof".

Basically, the logic goes like so:
-Rough Coke Wall tile lining a lava cistern:  "Oh, there's lava next to me...but I'm a player-built construction. *sigh*" (nothing happens)
-Rough Coke Floor tile underneath a burning elf:  "Oh!  That elf, and all his equipment, has the fire tag, and I'm a flammable material!  Yay!"  (Tile bursts into flame)

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #42 on: March 28, 2010, 06:39:24 pm »

That might be possible and my wall did not actually come into contact with anything burning beside maybe the dwarf's cloth that built it, It just happened to be built of something burning through a twisted abuse of the system. You can not in fact build and select an already burning material you have to do as I did and select the material before it is burning.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Alkyon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 28, 2010, 06:58:20 pm »

Well, if you have any luck making construction catch fire, please tell me.  I'd love to continue testing, but I lost my previous magma+flux(lots of coal) fort when I reformatted (Windows 7 RC ran out of time), and my current fort has no magma and I don't want to start a new fort with the new release coming so soon. (I'm building a flying fort over a sheer canyon cut by a truly massive river)

Besides, if you succeed, you'll be able to build the manliest dwarfliest monuments possible, and without having to take centuries by sacrificing a dwarf for every tile you build.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #44 on: March 28, 2010, 07:14:40 pm »

What is the farthest distance that a dwarf can be catapulted by a raised bridge? Are dwarves injured if they hit a wall during their 'flight' or only when they hit the ground?  ???
Raising bridges throw creatures up to 11 tiles.  Retracting bridges throw creatures up to 3 tiles.  Neither injure the creature in the throwing, regardless of whether they hit anything.  Injuries come only from any vertical fall afterwards.

Constructed glass furniture is magma safe (including pumps made from green glass blocks, screws, and pipes).  Unconstructed glass blocks and furniture dumped into magma will melt however - apparently it's possible for a material to be magma-safe only when constructed.

I didn't think Constructions caught fire either, that's why I built a coal road through my lava self defense waterfall in front of my entrance/trade depot.  I suspect that while constructions are lava proof, they are not "fire proof".
Roads aren't constructions, they're buildings.  Buildings can be destroyed by magma.  Constructions can't.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5