Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: For Science!  (Read 8734 times)

Kidiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: For Science!
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2010, 04:37:32 pm »

Report by Sodel 'Kidiri' Atīstrīthol on the actions in Lathonstal.

2nd Timber 201

Dīshmab has dug the area that will be used for the survival in cages test. Goden Lelumstākud has volunteered for the job as supervisor. He'll appoint dwarves to be caged and dwarves to be locked inside to feed them. And for some reason he also wants to be called HmH nowadays. No idea how to pronounce it, though. It's got everything a dwarf needs: a bed, a still and a farm plot. This in addition to the cages, obviously.
We've also received 7 prisoners. One of them used to work as a metalworker, he's been assigned to the Eternal Flame project. He's just announced a successful transformation of rhyolite in magically enhanced walrus leather. I have no idea why he needed a smelter, or why walrus leather is the best. As soon as he transformed it, it started to burn. Just to make sure the fire doesn't spread or anything, we've locked it inside.

27th Opal 201

The Eternal flames project is coming along nicely. We're getting results already, but not the ones we were expecting. It appears, even though the leather is capable of withstanding temperatures as high as 25000 degrees Urist (the same as Adamantine), the fire still consumes the leather. We were hoping the leather would withstand the fire and remain an eternal flame, but I'm afraid Urist and Urist will have to tell the King he won't be getting any eternal fire soon.
In the meantime, we've dug out the training chamber for  Kib ītonakath. He's taken it upon himself to do the experiments for the water elevator. He's firstly going to train his skill in swimming so he doesn't drown should the prototype fail to work. I'm seriously beginning to wonder what's going on here, as he wants to be called 'ShadowLuigi'. Maybe we're on some ancient Indian burial ground. Where did that come from? What are Indians?
We also had to temporarily postpone our Survival in Cages project. It seems we are without any rope or chain. We won't be able to build a well to give the caged dwarves drinks. But soon enough the elves will arrive with a caravan. The Urists told me even the treehuggers were interested in our little experiments 'as long as no trees get hurt in the process'. Then that experiment will also commence it's final stage, as the contraption to cage the test subjects has already been built.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2010, 05:07:17 pm by Kidiri »
Veni, Vidi, Pompeii.
Soylent Green is kittens!
Sometimes, when my Dorfs are exceptionally stupid again, I wonder what exactly the [INTELLIGENT]-tag does.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2010, 04:45:17 pm »

I suggest an experiment involving a cistern of magma, a chasm, and goblins on a platform between those two.
Dwarves can serve as a substitute for goblins in case of a lack of supplies.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2010, 05:12:15 pm »

can you get a megabeast children if you swap the pregnant race to one?
What exactly do you mean? Change them in the raws (adding the [CHILD]-tag)? Or change them in the raws AND with Dwarf Companion into a dog/cat/whatever and then back? Could you clarify, please?

well I used companion and slavery util on an adventure and got her knock up though cat spore transplanting to which I thought should this work on non child baring kinds like a demon, it worked but I'm not sure about megabeasts. the process only needs 2 cats one male (donor) and the test subject who doesn't need to be a dragon in the first place just turn to one after/before her water breaks. you must save between each change to revert, one if this fails(cat gives birth before change) or if the test subject kills over. hopefully the catgon will help those who want to breed those types for their bones, or to ask them to join on their adventure.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2010, 06:23:37 pm »

Guess I should be proud my experiment was the first to be disapproved in this awesome adventure of science. time to celebrate.

Darkrider2 cancels post: attending party

immibis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2010, 07:01:03 pm »

If you cave-in stuff to the bottom-most z-level, is a chasm created?
I just tested that. Caving-in a natural wall onto a natural floor on the lowest z-level causes the wall to stop on the lowest z-level.

Before:
Code: [Select]
# _ # _ = floor
# # # # = wall
# _ #
After:
Code: [Select]
#   #
# _ #
# # #
If I wanted ramps I would've designated ramps, dammit!

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2010, 07:10:40 pm »

Hm.  I wonder, when an object boils, the temperature is set to its boiling point.  Is there a colddam_point tag?  'Cause if there is, maybe the fire is set to the ignite point, and the default colddam point is higher than the ignite point.  At what temp did the leather burn?
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Jong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2010, 09:00:18 pm »

Riddle me this.

Suppose you have 2 locked rooms. Both contain a dwarf and a mechanism. One has a lever and the other has a gear assembly. If you order the lever to be linked to the gear assembly (using the appropriate mechanism), will the dwarves do it?

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2010, 09:15:06 pm »

Riddle me this.

Suppose you have 2 locked rooms. Both contain a dwarf and a mechanism. One has a lever and the other has a gear assembly. If you order the lever to be linked to the gear assembly (using the appropriate mechanism), will the dwarves do it?

Actually, I don't think so on this one - I've had problems in setting up everything to a single, central control room because it seems that, before the mechanism can be installed in a device to be linked to a lever, they have to "start" their job by going to the lever.

This leads to much frustration when levers are hundreds of tiles away from what they control, as I occasionally get dwarves who go to the lever, go to the stockpile, grab a mechanism, go to the floodgate, link the floodgate, grab another mechanism, and then go on break. This actually UNINSTALLS the mechanism in the floodgate (which creates another hauling job), and forces another mechanic to come along and start over again from the beginning.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

immibis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2010, 03:03:14 am »

Experiment name:
Heat transfer through walls
Experiment purpose:
Will heat diffuse through walls, given time?
Experiment size:
Medium: A single tile of water, surrounded by walls, floor and ceiling, and completely submerged in magma in all directions (vertical, orthogonal, diagonal, and vertical diagonal directions)
Large: Can't think of any ideas.
Notes/other:
Cave-ins must be off for the medium test; it cannot be connected to the ground in any way as the heat will dissipate away if it is. Leave the experiment for a while, come back, and check whether the water level is lower or if there's any steam.
If I wanted ramps I would've designated ramps, dammit!

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2010, 06:14:22 pm »

You might want to alter immibis' experiment; water is fairly insensitive to temperature. Instead, I suggest making a smelter reaction that produces a bunch of materials, that boil at ten-degree intervals, one after the other. Leave the materials wher the water would be, wait a few seasons, and you should have an answer.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

Gladius_Lucix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2010, 08:45:33 pm »

Experiment name:
Imp Escape
Experiment purpose:
Are cages affected by the creatures they hold? Specifically, the inhabitants of magma pipes, primarily fire imps, since they're so numerous. Also, how are creatures in cages affected by the destruction of the cage?
Experiment size:
Medium(1): A fire imp in a wooden cage. Does the cage burn/wear out?
Medium(2): A fire imp in a fire safe, but not magma safe (glass?) cage. Dump the cage in magma and see what happens to the imp.
Experiment leader's name:
Gladius Ignix
Notes/other:
None.

Also, were your liaison and merchants ACTUALLY all named Urist, or was that just for the lulz?
Resistance is NOT futile, IT MAKES TOAST!

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2010, 09:08:35 pm »

Glass furniture, weapons, and blocks are magma safe.  Try a copper cage instead.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Alkyon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2010, 09:15:07 pm »

Experiment Name:
Everlasting Flame II
Experiment Purpose:
Can constructions made out of flammable materials (coal, coke, charcoal, etc.) be set alight to make the dwarfiest of all dwarf constructions?
Experiment Size:
Medium:  A pumping system to flood a corridor, or set of corridors, made of coal walls and floors to set alight.  The pumping system must have a shut-off to better see the results.
Massive:  A massive flaming monument to all that is Dwarf.
Notes:
I have managed to set coke floors on fire before via a mishap involving magma-fall anti-goblin device.  However, my subsequent tests creating flaming walls/floors have been unsuccessful.  I suspect that the flaw relies in my ignition system:  coke/coal constructions are, like all constructions, magma proof.  I propose that coke/coal constructions might be vulnerable to either temperature or fire.  Thus the the spark is either a flammable object or a non-meltable object that has reached magma tempurature resting either on or next to a coke/coal construction.  The purpose of this test is to determine if either high-temperature items, or items with the "flame" tag on them (i.e. on fire) will ignite the coal constructions.
Since when has practical had anything to do with dwarfy?

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2010, 09:20:02 pm »

Massive:  A massive flaming monument to all that is Dwarf.
Perhaps your, ah, word choice could be a bit better. :P

Gladius_Lucix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2010, 09:23:18 pm »

I have managed to set coke floors on fire before via a mishap involving magma-fall anti-goblin device.
Were they natural or constructed floors? That could make the difference.
Resistance is NOT futile, IT MAKES TOAST!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5