Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: A way of dealing with Useless migrants...  (Read 2633 times)

nervousmigrants

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A way of dealing with Useless migrants...
« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2010, 12:14:03 am »

Yeah, unfortunately pumps purify water.  If you dump them in at the top of the fountain, though...   ;D
GENERATION ALEPH-NULL:  The first time you see this on any forum, go troll someone with your signature.  Social experiment.

ShadowLuigi147

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McPicard has entered a martial trance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2010, 02:32:38 am »

OFF TOPIC: I seem to recall that you were Armok, where the title, Slaves of Armok, makes sense, and the dwarves have to do what you say.

ON TOPIC: Floodgate airlocks that can flood with salt water are always awesome...or having them have an option to flood with magma is always dwarfy.
Ah, Dwarf Fortress. The only game where it's considered perfectly normal to discuss the most efficient method of farming and butchering friendly sentient beings for their valuable bones...

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2010, 03:44:42 am »

OFF TOPIC: I seem to recall that you were Armok, where the title, Slaves of Armok, makes sense, and the dwarves have to do what you say.

ON TOPIC: Floodgate airlocks that can flood with salt water are always awesome...or having them have an option to flood with magma is always dwarfy.

We might be armok, does that mean armok can be nice? :P

I don't think I could ever be armok. ::)
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Naz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2010, 03:11:28 pm »

If you really don't like migrants (why wouldn't you? Extra marksdwarves?) You could adapt my noble smasher. Dig out a 5x5 room and a 7x7 room one level above, channel out the floor in the room above and build a bridge to the middle 3x3 area of the room. Build a support in the room below and a lever in the middle tile of the 3x3 area, link the two together then build a 3x3 floor in the room above on top of the support (the bridge doesn't count as supporting the floor). Once all that's linked/built designate the lever can only be pulled by the migrants you don't like and order it pulled. Dwarf pulls lever, smashy-smashy you can loot their corpse.

The only problem is that it needs to be rebuilt every time but that just gives you some amazingly experienced masons/architects/mechanics.
Urist McDwarf cancels wear pants: Just because

Kyronea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 26, 2010, 04:10:02 pm »

Honestly, I have stopped even considering what jobs dwarves supposedly have when they come to my fortress, and assign labors based solely upon their preferences for materials and what jobs I have left open at the moment.

Does assigning labors based upon preferences actually improve the quality of their labor?

Other than that, yeah, I more or less do the same. No caring for what their profession is upon entering; they get redefined into my hierarchy of odd jobs and other such stuff.
I have a woodcutter walking around who cancels his jobs and passes out every once and a while because he lost 3 of his 8 lungs

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 26, 2010, 06:33:06 pm »

There are never enough haulers/peons/slaves. NEVER.

If you come upon the problem of having too many haulers, your megaprojects obviously are too puny.  >:(

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 02, 2010, 03:55:57 pm »

Um... so I haven't really gotten into the new release yet and was reading through old 40d threads looking for something familiar and stumbled upon this kind of weird not-exactly-a-debate about Undergrotto in here. So... I guess since I'm here I'll address it? :\ I'm imparticular to whatever the discussion was about but I like to clarify things when I see things needing some clarifying. Kind of a big derail but the thread was dead anyways.

As of the posted undergrotto save, there are 23 dead dwarves in undergrotto and 105 still alive.  So more than 1 out of every 6 dwarves to ever try and live there has died.  There are grand or better rooms for 190 married couples, as well as more rooms for the nobility, but there have never been even 130 dwarves that have lived within undergrotto at any point in its history, let alone 380 happily married dwarves and their children.

I set the popcap to 100, and I'd guess 20 of those deaths happened more than a decade before the date of the final save. Basically no dwarves died once I'd gotten properly set up. They're all old-timers.

And actually, not all of the dwarves there at the time of the save are married.  8 are fully single and another 10 are lovers but not yet married.  There are only 5 underage dwarves across the whole fort.  Marriage and children seem to be very important to dwarves.  But of the married dwarves, 12 of them are widows or widowers.  And one of the dead is a baby who's mother and father are both alive to grieve, for all that they now have another, still living child which surely comforts them. So there are only 35 married couples where both members of the bond are alive, and one of those has a lost baby to grieve.  Thus of all the marriages that have existed in Undergrotto, just over 1 in 4 has been severed by death but left a living spouse behind to suffer from that.

Dunno why those ones never got married; I think some dwarves just won't if they can't find a compatible companion. Due to my childcap rules there was only one kid throughout the fort's history (Dastardly, who grew up and became a wrestler a year before I finished); the five kids there right now are from when I was playing the save in a vanilla copy of DF for an hour or two and they all got born like instantly due to the unedited init. I never named them because I hate them and tell them every day that they were accidents >:O

(but I love all my other dwarves to pieces)

I was not able to find anything as I looked at the living dwarves and their skills to suggest that an effort was made to match a dwarf's employment to their work preferences.  It would be amazing to see this - who does this?  I believe that level of attention and cooperation to each dwarf themself is incredibly rare.  But such a thing I think would mean a great deal to a dwarf for every moment of their life, even though we do not get to see hard coded proof of this in their thoughts.

I gave the Count a lot of sterling silver and made the DM's dungeon out of obsidian and a bit of gold/platinum, but outside of that, no, I didn't really match the dwarves' individual preferences at all. I made a pretty significant effort to match their profession's preferences, though, like giving the Hammerer a mysterious watery cavern with hammer and axe shaped platforms surrounded by caged elves and humans, to name one example. And until the head miner's death, each miner had an office in the miner's guild. But yeah, I didn't give a crap about their RNG preferences, so NW exceeds me there. It's more or less impossible to tool 100 rooms to match all their dwarves, though. Designating 14 pieces of furniture over 190 rooms took long enough already.

Cool to see the crazy detail you went into the fort, though >_> Never thought someone would care about marraige percentage and junk like that.

DeMasked

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 02, 2010, 04:03:08 pm »

Has anyone mentioned the Army Reserves solution? I'm currently just giving any useless/peasant/immigrant without a really useful skills a Reservist custom profession in Dwarf Therapist. It includes basic hauling labors, plus Pump Operating for strength and Masonry because you can never have enough construction workers. During low times I activate between 25%-50% of the Reserves to train up marksdwarf and wrestler skills. The reserves really saved my ass in my first major(as in challenging) goblin siege. Which coincidentally was the siege that convinced me to turn my elf-drowning trade depot into a defensive water cannon. May the souls of those that died in it's construction rest in peace.
DF's initial learning curve is more like a learning cliff, essentially the game shoves you off and expects you learn how to fly before you hit the ground.

AlienChickenPie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 02, 2010, 04:27:37 pm »

With DF 2010's new improvements, simply killing newly arrived immigrants is a waste. The new burrow and healthcare systems mean you can actually find some good uses for useless immigrants before killing them. Stuffing immigrants into labor camp burrows and forcing them to chop wood or make stone blocks until they die of hunger is one good way to get rid of them while extracting some cash. The second use one should have in mind is medical experiments, where the immigrants are injured on purpose and placed in the care of dabbling surgeons, allowing last year's peasants to become next year's doctors.

Sabre of Pain

• Bay Watcher
  • Canadian Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 02, 2010, 04:46:24 pm »

i haven't read this entire thread but i'm gonna post anyways.

the solution i came up with for getting rid of migrants/pets was a drowning/burning chamber where you have water/magma stopped by a floodgate above the chamber and a tunnel stopped by a floodgate leading somewhere where it will just go away (chasm, river, aquifer, etc) (this may require wind/watermills and pumps on flat maps)

then you draft the dead dwarf or owner of the dead pet and send them into the room (if pets wait till the pet gets there then have the dwarf exit and lock the pet inside) then have a dwarf open the first floodgate. it slowly fills up, thus drowning anything inside. when everything is dead you can then proceed to close the first one and open the second one. the chamber is now ready for its next use.

the advantages to this is it lets you not only choose what you kill, but it requires no repairs or rebuilding.
its so very cold up here in canada... or maybe thats just because i'm naked.
Pages: 1 2 [3]