Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: A way of dealing with Useless migrants...  (Read 2638 times)

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A way of dealing with Useless migrants...
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2010, 02:40:53 am »

As much as I appreciate the sentiment, I think Retro beats me by a mile, since he has all 190 of his dwarves married, and they all have no less than grand bedrooms. 

All I can say in response is that my fortress is very space-efficient (although I will definitely start making better rooms for my dwarves in the future, and simply shut off the economy), and that I have a very nice zoo/statue garden/dining hall/waterfall room.

Please forgive the derailment *hides*

All glory, as well deserved, to the creator of Undergrotto, which is without equal and an incredible masterwork of engineering, creativity, and patience.  But to be a dwarf, and live and work as a dwarf, I don't see his philosophy shining through in the eyes of his dwarves the way yours promises too.  In fact, a closer look at the save suggests that his dwarves actually live under fairly normal (read tragic) conditions.

Highlights of why being a dwarf under your philosophy is a glorious thing:

"If someone starts with a preference for green glass, then I don't care what skills they have, they're best suited for working with green glass"

"Part of the challenge of the game is ensuring that no single one of your dwarves ever dies, and that they all get meaningful work"

"Anything less is just failing in your duties as a dwarven overseer/deity"

Versus Retro's fortress focused approach:

"The fort is, as you might guess, rather far from efficient – dwarves routinely walk 300-500 steps to the dining pod, or the stalactite apartments, or the ship, and gods forbid if they ever need to go outside."

As of the posted undergrotto save, there are 23 dead dwarves in undergrotto and 105 still alive.  So more than 1 out of every 6 dwarves to ever try and live there has died.  There are grand or better rooms for 190 married couples, as well as more rooms for the nobility, but there have never been even 130 dwarves that have lived within undergrotto at any point in its history, let alone 380 happily married dwarves and their children.

And actually, not all of the dwarves there at the time of the save are married.  8 are fully single and another 10 are lovers but not yet married.  There are only 5 underage dwarves across the whole fort.  Marriage and children seem to be very important to dwarves.  But of the married dwarves, 12 of them are widows or widowers.  And one of the dead is a baby who's mother and father are both alive to grieve, for all that they now have another, still living child which surely comforts them. So there are only 35 married couples where both members of the bond are alive, and one of those has a lost baby to grieve.  Thus of all the marriages that have existed in Undergrotto, just over 1 in 4 has been severed by death but left a living spouse behind to suffer from that.

I was not able to find anything as I looked at the living dwarves and their skills to suggest that an effort was made to match a dwarf's employment to their work preferences.  It would be amazing to see this - who does this?  I believe that level of attention and cooperation to each dwarf themself is incredibly rare.  But such a thing I think would mean a great deal to a dwarf for every moment of their life, even though we do not get to see hard coded proof of this in their thoughts.

Thus, Retro's incredible, awesome creation is an architectural marvel, an incredible display of focused patience and planning skill.  And I feel deep respect for him when I admire it.  But it is not a place of great dwarven joy and self actualization as seen through the eyes of a dwarf living there, nor does it make any claim to be.  It is what it is, and that is why, were I a dwarf, I would emigrate from any number of squares away to come to -your- fortress, where it sounds like a dwarf can become the best and most fulfilled dwarf he or she could possibly ever be.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2010, 02:45:14 am by Imp »
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2010, 02:51:40 am »

This all seems to terribly overcomplicated...  You could quite easily just set up a barracks with a sword (or other weapons of your choice) stockpile outside your fortress. 

When a wave comes, draft everyone and start them off sparring.  Desirable immigrants get swords.

Others don't.

I think I remember what happened the last time I talked about swords, I think it was me trying to run away. :P

either way you are... very 'dwarfy'.

MASTERWORK SWORDS FOR EVERYONE!
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Dorf3000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2010, 03:54:08 am »

MASTERWORK SWORDS FOR EVERYONE SOME, PAINFUL SLASHY DEATH FOR OTHERS!

I fixed that one for you.
I had a tigerman get elected mayor and he promptly mandated 3 bowls of cereal.

Asmodeous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2010, 08:20:49 am »

Two words: Naming Bridge.
(There is a story behind this. . .)

This is an Alder Omelette. All craftsdwarfship is of highest quality. It is encircled with bands of cheese. It menaces with spikes of bacon, ham, and peppers. On the object is an image of dwarves in egg white. The dwarves are eating.

Kidiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2010, 08:35:43 am »

Hammers and a very high, very small platform.
Veni, Vidi, Pompeii.
Soylent Green is kittens!
Sometimes, when my Dorfs are exceptionally stupid again, I wonder what exactly the [INTELLIGENT]-tag does.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2010, 08:42:46 am »

Things on dwarf fulfillment.

... Great, now I'm going to have to dedicate my fortresses to maximizing dwarf happiness.

Also, "No deaths" is, unfortunately, only a goal for me.  I've had 2 training deaths, 2 woodcutters died of ambushes early on (and five of their war dog pets... if you like dogs, you become a woodcutter) (I have since made walled enclosures, and am working on tower cap farms to forstall any further deaths, but seiges make it a moot point),  2 stupid cave-in deaths, and 2 deaths when I found out that an elite goblin marksman can shoot through ramparts with perfect accuracy (although he was killed back by one of the dwarves who later bled out).

I could have save-scummed those out of existence, but I didn't want to cheat away "legitimate deaths" (as opposed to stupid AI bug deaths like where the mayor ran outside in the middle of a seige to hold a meeting through the outside wall of the fortress, or where dwarves ran outside in the middle of a seige to pick up forbidden items that were outside when outside was forbidden in the options, and I had turned off their item hauling for good measure).
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Asmodeous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2010, 09:24:32 am »

I find it interesting that people think it a "waste" to kill off dwarves and that it makes you a "sub-par deity/overseer" or what-have-you.

By my view in this game, you're pretty much taking the role of Armok. And if I recall properly, Armok is not a benevolent, "love and huggie-bears" deity. . .

Props to those who manage to be benevolent deities. I however tend to abuse the snot out of my dwarves and work them to the bone. Those that serve me well are all very happy. The rest die.
(There is a story behind this. . .)

This is an Alder Omelette. All craftsdwarfship is of highest quality. It is encircled with bands of cheese. It menaces with spikes of bacon, ham, and peppers. On the object is an image of dwarves in egg white. The dwarves are eating.

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2010, 09:25:41 am »

I'm making a new approach in my most recent fort: The caste system.

Fort membership is limited to 7+any non military lengendaries. The fort produces food, weapons, armor and all that glorious stuff.

Migrants live outside in the barracks. All but three general purpose labourers are military. Did I mention it's dig deeper +relentless assault?

So far the outside population has been wiped clean twice.

hats off to anyone who puts dwarven preferences first. I think this will make mor eof a difference next version.
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2010, 09:42:31 am »

I find it interesting that people think it a "waste" to kill off dwarves and that it makes you a "sub-par deity/overseer" or what-have-you.

By my view in this game, you're pretty much taking the role of Armok. And if I recall properly, Armok is not a benevolent, "love and huggie-bears" deity. . .

Props to those who manage to be benevolent deities. I however tend to abuse the snot out of my dwarves and work them to the bone. Those that serve me well are all very happy. The rest die.

Why, yes, I AM a benevolent deity of blood and chaos.  What of it?

If it makes you feel any better, I still entertain my dwarves by tossing goblins into crocodile pits, or using them as target practice so that I can further boost my dwarves' happiness by letting them "enjoy slaughter recently", and have a naked female titan that other cultures worship as a goddess chained up King Kong style in my waterfall-laden great hall, which really should raise the happiness of some of my dwarves more...

Anyway, my philosophy is:

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD,
SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE,
UNICORN AND GOBLIN LEATHER TO KEEP MY MINIONS COMFY AND WARM,
A MASTERWORK MERMAID TALLOW ROAST IN EVERY POT,
AND A HIGHER STANDARD OF LIVING FOR EVERY FOLLOWER OF CHAOS!
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2010, 10:51:28 am »

Honestly, I have stopped even considering what jobs dwarves supposedly have when they come to my fortress, and assign labors based solely upon their preferences for materials and what jobs I have left open at the moment.

Same. Only if their default profession is something that is important to me, like a craftsdwarf, engineer, or a jeweler will I keep them around.

Soap maker? He's going to have almost all labors enabled so he can be a grunt. Mason, planter, cook, brewer, hauler, etc.

Any grunt who reaches legendary status joins the military. They actually have a much higher survival rate once they're in the military.

Any grunt who gets a fey mood and becomes legendary in a useful skill is exempt from this. I will keep legendary masons around. If they become a legendary craftsdwarf, they get promoted to being a craftsdwarf and do not have to haul things.

The professions they arrive with really don't matter all that much.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2010, 12:51:11 pm »

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD,
SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE,
UNICORN AND GOBLIN LEATHER TO KEEP MY MINIONS COMFY AND WARM,
A MASTERWORK MERMAID TALLOW ROAST IN EVERY POT,
A HIGHER STANDARD OF LIVING FOR EVERY FOLLOWER OF CHAOS!
AND MASTERWORK WEAPONS FOR EVERYONE!

Somehow I think this fix would be more dwarfy, I, myself, would never do it, but it seems to be better anyway. :P
Losing is fun?
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2010, 12:56:27 pm »

Considering Armok's roots, I tend towards something more like:

Blood for the Blood God!
Arms for the Armpit!

Only the blessed retain their limbs.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2010, 01:06:55 pm »

Darn you for being so witty. :P

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2010, 01:48:43 pm »

AND MASTERWORK WEAPONS FOR EVERYONE!

Somehow I think this fix would be more dwarfy, I, myself, would never do it, but it seems to be better anyway. :P
Losing is fun?

I could swing that, although I tend not to have terribly many military dwarves, since I'm only playing Vanilla right now, and my last seige had two champions and a mace lord take on an elite marksman goblin and his squad where only one dwarf even took damage at all, and that was because he was exhausted.  Meanwhile, my marksdwarves, from their comfy sniper tower, scored a total of about 40 kills, while traps took the remaining 20 goblins.

I tend to prefer my dwarves work on masterwork glass goblets to hold all the blood, preferably in one of those champagne fountain arrangements.  A blood fountain would be lovely... (Hmm... if I drop prisoners of war into my waterfall resevoirs, would it make my waterfalls pour out water that has turned crimson with blood?  That would be a lovely charm point!  Especially when I imagine it producing a fine, crimson mist for my dwarves to enjoy.) Plus, they can sew images of two giants, the symbol of my town, on the goblin skull totems that make my skull throne in rope reed fabric that is masterfully died midnight blue with midnight dye.

Also, while I'm at it, I might as well add "And pet war giant jaguars, lizardman slaves, or pet cave crocodiles for everyone!", since I'm working on breeding up those very things right now.  I already have some dwarves changing their preferences to include things like giant jaguars, as well!
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2010, 08:07:56 pm »

I've tried to make bloody waterfalls before, it doesn't work.  :'(
Pages: 1 [2] 3