Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Water elevator/cushion for prisoners  (Read 1287 times)

deoxys413

• Bay Watcher
  • Space. It's quiet, too quiet...
    • View Profile
Water elevator/cushion for prisoners
« on: March 24, 2010, 05:00:58 pm »

I currently have a fortress that has surface and underground separated. I'm wanting to send prisoners/elves/random traders down several z-levels without having them splat against the floor below. To those who have utilized/experimented with a water elevator I'm wondering if i could chuck the prisoner in question down several levels of open space and cushion the fall with a few z-levels of water or throw them in the water column full and drain it out below them.
WATER is the universal solvent.
MAGMA is the universal solution.

Vertigon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Water elevator/cushion for prisoners
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2010, 05:04:23 pm »

-blank slate-
« Last Edit: December 18, 2016, 11:01:07 pm by Vertigon »

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2010, 05:17:45 pm »

Depending on how, exactly, you have seperated your two sections of fortress, you could simply use a paired repeater and retractable drawbridges.

Build a stack of retracting drawbridges.  Every odd-floor drawbridge should open and the even-floor drawbridges should close all at the same time based on the paired repeater.  Then, after the 100 step delay, the odd-floor bridges should shut, and even-floor bridges should open.

This should drop units a single floor at a time, which is not far enough to deal damage.  They get stunned their whole ride down, but it would work without damaging anything.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

ShadowLuigi147

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McPicard has entered a martial trance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2010, 05:47:33 pm »

Depending on how, exactly, you have seperated your two sections of fortress, you could simply use a paired repeater and retractable drawbridges.

Build a stack of retracting drawbridges.  Every odd-floor drawbridge should open and the even-floor drawbridges should close all at the same time based on the paired repeater.  Then, after the 100 step delay, the odd-floor bridges should shut, and even-floor bridges should open.

This should drop units a single floor at a time, which is not far enough to deal damage.  They get stunned their whole ride down, but it would work without damaging anything.
It would work, but imagine you were the creature being dropped. Your brain would explode from being stunned so much...
Ah, Dwarf Fortress. The only game where it's considered perfectly normal to discuss the most efficient method of farming and butchering friendly sentient beings for their valuable bones...

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2010, 06:28:32 pm »

It would work, but imagine you were the creature being dropped. Your brain would explode from being stunned so much...

You say that like it's a bad thing!
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2010, 07:03:32 pm »

Experiments have revealed that water does counter falling damage to a degree, although the ratio of levels of water to levels of air is still to be determined.  One level of water will not save a creature that falls ten Z-levels, but ten Z-levels of water might.  Science still needs to be done to determine just this works.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2010, 07:37:30 pm »

Realy? I though all falling/flung creatures were in some sort of stasis that would only break if they hit something solid. They could fall through magma unhurt. Found this out when I ran into the bug that gets creatures stuck in faling mode when you save while they fall. You cant do anything to/with them. You can even build a wall inside of them.

I must dedicate a tower to this in my current fort. For Science!
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

deoxys413

• Bay Watcher
  • Space. It's quiet, too quiet...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2010, 07:50:19 pm »

Realy? I though all falling/flung creatures were in some sort of stasis that would only break if they hit something solid. They could fall through magma unhurt. Found this out when I ran into the bug that gets creatures stuck in faling mode when you save while they fall. You cant do anything to/with them. You can even build a wall inside of them.

I must dedicate a tower to this in my current fort. For Science!
The fall will be about 25 z-levels at it's worst, if your scientists can research this before mine your findings would be most helpful
WATER is the universal solvent.
MAGMA is the universal solution.

Renault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2010, 09:57:57 pm »

I think the fact there are science-fortresses where people actively try to understand the mechanics of this game is one of the most fascinating elements of it.

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2010, 12:16:48 am »

I love how you suggest using horses as mattress landing pads
While talking to AJ:
In college I studied the teachings of Socrates and Aeropostale

Talion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2010, 04:04:25 am »

Going by reported results of experiments others have already conducted. Generally hitting water is the same as hitting ground. So if you have a 10z fall and fill 5z with water you turn it into a 5z fall.
So you would need the full water column that gradually drained option for safety.

Dorf3000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2010, 04:17:39 am »

If you drop in a gobbo at the top of a 10z water column, then open the bridge at the bottom that drains the water out through a metal grate into a chasm, will they fall to their death, or will the water flow out just slowly enough to catch the goblin as it drops?

like this:
Code: [Select]
| | ^ 10z
| |
|_| bridge
|#| grate over chasm
I had a tigerman get elected mayor and he promptly mandated 3 bowls of cereal.

Gergination

• Bay Watcher
  • The world is on fire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2010, 04:44:12 am »

Have I missed something entirely?

As far as I know, fluids don't interact with falling creatures.  I've had goblins "fall" through my volcano and splat against the side after falling 15+ levels.

Of course, water and magma could behave differently, but I have my doubts.
With [SLOW_LEARNER], dwarves probably don't sit around and talk anymore. They just stand in the same corner altogether, staring at each other, sticking their bearded lips out trying to make sounds. And giggling when someone actually says a whole word.

RavingManiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2010, 05:21:34 am »

If you drop in a gobbo at the top of a 10z water column, then open the bridge at the bottom that drains the water out through a metal grate into a chasm, will they fall to their death, or will the water flow out just slowly enough to catch the goblin as it drops?

like this:
Code: [Select]
| | ^ 10z
| |
|_| bridge
|#| grate over chasm

Actually, you don't need to drain the water column at all. Just put a door at the bottom level and the goblin should be able to walk out.
Thief:"Quiet kitty, Qui-"
Cat:"THIEF! Protect the hoard from the skulking filth!"
The resulting party killed 20 dwarves, crippled 2 more and the remaining 9 managed to get along and have a nice party.

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2010, 06:13:14 am »

To all the people wondering about water cushioning falls: there was one of our famous !!Science!! threads asbout it, and the results seemed to say that either water would a) not count as an extra z-level fallen or b) that as well as counteract some air-falling, as well.

I don't have a link to it, but I'll try a search to see if I turn anything up.
EDIT:Ack, my search-fu is weak.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2010, 06:24:08 am by Blargityblarg »
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme
Pages: [1] 2