Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 65

Author Topic: Distant Worlds (4x RTS)  (Read 128631 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: Distant Worlds (4x RTS)
« Reply #915 on: June 01, 2015, 02:10:47 pm »

Distant Worlds Challenge: Leave everything on automatic except intelligence missions. Do all of the intelligence missions yourself. Roleplay as the director of covert operations for a space empire. See if you can influence your empire's actions and future using only covert ops.

Fun times.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2015, 02:26:50 pm by forsaken1111 »

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #916 on: June 01, 2015, 02:26:24 pm »

What i usually do is keep a fleet for myself, control covert ops, research and design everything else is up to the AI. Depending on my mood i turn something on or off.
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #917 on: June 01, 2015, 02:56:25 pm »

Distant Worlds Challenge: Leave everything on automatic except intelligence missions. Do all of the intelligence missions yourself. Roleplay as the director of covert operations for a space empire. See if you can influence your empire's actions and future using only covert ops.

Fun times.

I've tried that, but unfortunately I never have enough intelligence agents to keep things going. It's also a pain to have to renew loads of missions. I'm going to have another go, possibly with a lot of independents and having a smaller starting empire than others. I'll also maybe edit humans to get more spies or something.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #918 on: June 01, 2015, 02:59:26 pm »

Fun times.

I've tried that, but unfortunately I never have enough intelligence agents to keep things going. It's also a pain to have to renew loads of missions. I'm going to have another go, possibly with a lot of independents and having a smaller starting empire than others. I'll also maybe edit humans to get more spies or something.
Yea, I think you need to use a spy heavy race like the Ketarov or modify your played race to throw more spies at you.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #919 on: June 02, 2015, 10:59:17 am »

Well, well, well. Playing pre-warp and it's the third time that Colonization research finishes with a "wrong path" and gets reset to 0%. I assume this is normal and intended behavior and will in no way cripple me forever against the other empires.

I already discovered hyperdrive and killed the 3 giant bugs in my system. Keep waiting I guess?

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #920 on: June 02, 2015, 11:08:10 am »

Well, well, well. Playing pre-warp and it's the third time that Colonization research finishes with a "wrong path" and gets reset to 0%. I assume this is normal and intended behavior and will in no way cripple me forever against the other empires.

I already discovered hyperdrive and killed the 3 giant bugs in my system. Keep waiting I guess?
Yea, RNG.  I've had that happen.  Also had RNG give me the research bonus mode buncha times in a row.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #921 on: June 02, 2015, 12:16:12 pm »

It's strange though, I think there must be some balancing towards that, as it seems to be weirdly common. It could just be the usual player bias, but I suspect that they've put a higher than usual chance of getting either 'bonus/fast research' or 'wrong path' on the major research items to make it more interesting.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #922 on: June 02, 2015, 12:44:37 pm »

Once it happened to me three times, taking my hyperdrive research from 70-90% to about 20%, I just got sick of it and cheated in the technology. Like hell I was waiting to get my arse kicked by a nearby empire that didn't have that happen.

Yeah it does seem to happen frequently, and it is annoying, especially with how crucial it is. That being said, I've found one of the most interesting games was playing as a post-warp/classic start race whilst the others were pre-warp and then playing a 'supreme overlord' game, where I had to take over the entire galaxy. Now I'm not particularly amazing at the game, but that boost gave me enough to make the early game a lot more interesting without becoming a steamroll.

For instance, capital planets are still too hard to take most of the time, so you've basically got to just subjugate loads of races. That makes you very unpopular, which in turn makes diplomacy very difficult. By the time you've taken over your quadrant and have been busy suppressing races, you've still got the races on the other side of the map which are gradually building up.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #923 on: June 02, 2015, 01:03:56 pm »

Is there a config option that I can use so that freshly built ships don't warp 2 seconds after getting finished to go suicide against a system target before I have time to add it to a more "chill" fleet?

EDIT: And there go my next 2 destroyers, got killed right after I specifically told them to join the homebase defense fleet and override their autoattack with a resupply command.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 01:07:47 pm by Sergius »

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #924 on: June 02, 2015, 01:31:42 pm »

Fun times.

Yea, I think you need to use a spy heavy race like the Ketarov or modify your played race to throw more spies at you.
Or you know, just use the in game editor to add yourself a few inteligence agent!
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #925 on: June 03, 2015, 06:40:36 am »

Is there a config option that I can use so that freshly built ships don't warp 2 seconds after getting finished to go suicide against a system target before I have time to add it to a more "chill" fleet?

EDIT: And there go my next 2 destroyers, got killed right after I specifically told them to join the homebase defense fleet and override their autoattack with a resupply command.
Yes, there's one somewhere to make ships not be automated when they are built. I think it might not be in policies like all the other similar things, but instead in game options.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #926 on: June 04, 2015, 09:47:12 am »

Yes, there's one somewhere to make ships not be automated when they are built. I think it might not be in policies like all the other similar things, but instead in game options.

Thanks.

I actually went the opposite way: disabled all automation (playing pre-warp with automation feels very counterproductive) and followed this guide: http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3508583 a few times

So now I'm way more familiar with game mechanics that I feel more confident to start over on my own, gradually turning on automation features whenever I'm tired with a certain specific aspect of micromanagement. I'm better at optimizing my designs (like changing the starting private stations so they don't have so many freakin' cargo bays. Also, none for my home spaceport).

Also gradually lowering the tax a LOT (down to 2% in my last game) helps, I do it one % at a time to keep my money-on-hand under 20k (starting from 10%), then raising it when my population gets to MAX. And component build order seems to matter: armor first, followed by fighter bays in bases, then shields and whatever is need to power them, then everything else, makes them a lot more survivable while building. Making a barebones version of ports also helps a lot when you first build them and then upgrade them to full port (which is the same as my home port minus the labs).

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #927 on: June 04, 2015, 09:58:44 am »

Also helps quite a lot if you make a 'support station' of sorts for new colonies with medical and recreational facilities iirc

Xardalas

• Bay Watcher
  • Being bored and stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #928 on: June 04, 2015, 10:02:57 am »

Here is a tip for anyone playing pirates. Goto the design editor, and uncheck using the latest components. That lets you make mini mining stations and such using very old, outdated tech that doesn't actually affect the mining rate at all.

If you build em right, you can get mining stations that cost about 1.1k and are under 175 maintenance.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #929 on: June 04, 2015, 10:13:51 am »

Also helps quite a lot if you make a 'support station' of sorts for new colonies with medical and recreational facilities iirc

Yeah that would be my barebones, just the commerce and med/rec. Still build the defensive components tho. Every other required comp is at the bare minimum necessary for a valid design. The "upgraded" version has the requisite extra factories, docking ports, weapons, more reactors, etc.

Also now I know how to kill the damn space lobsters, all I needed was a ship with 41 cruise speed, decent turning (15 or more seems to work fine) enough fuel cells and as many missiles or torpedoes I could fit (no warp! that thing is heavy). Two of these cheap-ish appear to be quite able to kill one without a scratch. One vs one kinda works too but at least with missiles it takes too long and might run out of fuel.

Killing groups is not hard if you split your ships manually between targets since the monsters aggro the ship that attacks them and ignore the others even if they pass right thru them.

EDIT: Forgot to put that the ships need to be at stand-off distance for all opponents. Although I'm not sure it matters if it only has one kind of weapon.

Here is a tip for anyone playing pirates. Goto the design editor, and uncheck using the latest components. That lets you make mini mining stations and such using very old, outdated tech that doesn't actually affect the mining rate at all.

If you build em right, you can get mining stations that cost about 1.1k and are under 175 maintenance.

This is useful even for non-pirates, it's a good idea to keep your civvies with the Gerax hyperdrive and ion thrusters while the state ships enjoy more expensive components. Sure you don't pay for them but they suck the rarer materials out of your cargo holds.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2015, 10:20:22 am by Sergius »
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 65