Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 65

Author Topic: Distant Worlds (4x RTS)  (Read 128683 times)

jhxmt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Distant Worlds (4x RTS)
« Reply #810 on: June 09, 2014, 04:30:41 pm »

The relationship changes aren't instant. Wait a few in game months and it should change. Unless Feudalisms hate republics, too. I know they like democracies.

Yup, it kicked in after a couple of months, you're right.  I have now overthrown three governments that hated me and replaced them with those that are far, far more in favour of my type of rule.  I'm currently working on the fourth.  It's good to be the (correctly elected and titled) king.  :P

The insect races I'll be having problems with, though.  There are six of them, at the last count, and it turns out inciting a revolution in a hive-mind community is rather tricky.  Who would thunk it?  They're miles away from me at the moment and non-hyperspace-capable, though, so I've got some breathing room.
Quote from: beefsupreme
Try slaughtering a ton of animals, meat makes less decisions than animals.

Why Your Ramps Don't Work
How To Breach A Volcano Safely

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #811 on: June 09, 2014, 04:40:20 pm »

Would love to try this game, have to wait till it's on sale tough..
I'm under the impression that it was already on sale.  But I guess you are going to wait for a steam level sale...
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #812 on: June 09, 2014, 04:42:06 pm »

Would love to try this game, have to wait till it's on sale tough..
I'm under the impression that it was already on sale.  But I guess you are going to wait for a steam level sale...
Yeah, that's what I meant.
Hopefully during the summer sales or something.
Or maybe December sales.. If I can wait that long.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #813 on: June 09, 2014, 04:45:49 pm »

Yeah, that's what I meant.
Hopefully during the summer sales or something.
Or maybe December sales.. If I can wait that long.

Probably unlikely one will happen, or at least not for a while. They already see this as a massive discount (which it is over the original price) and they've just had a pre-order sale. Possibly there might be a slight one in December or a dallies thing, but I doubt you'll get it on a 75% steam sale or anything.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #814 on: June 19, 2014, 06:06:28 am »

PTW, this game is pretty fun.

What do people think about area weapons?  I went with a combination of those + missiles (1-3 area per ship, rest of weapons are missiles), it seemed to go pretty well but I've only played one game so I can't say how they compare.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #815 on: June 19, 2014, 06:28:01 am »

I've only played pre-warp start (since it feels more interesting to watch your empire slowly spread from a single planet, a la Star Ruler or similar games, then blossom outward almost exponentially as technology allows) and pretty much watched as the game automated itself, aside from prompting me for the occasional build order, and constantly spamming me to break the protection agreement with the pirates currently lording over my infant empire.

I don't get why they constantly insist on attempting to do so, when the pirates generally have 3-4x my military strength in the early game, even with a defensive platform orbitting my only world. Apparently my advisors have a bit of a death wish.

It's fairly interesting to watch, but I don't feel like I'm learning the game very much, and turning off automation or even prompts makes me feel like I'd be forgetting something.
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #816 on: June 21, 2014, 03:30:05 am »

Sooo... ummm...

Apparently every single time this game updates, even slightly, it quietly moves all of your save files into your appdata folder, which is hidden by default on most computers.  This is without telling the user mind you.

Why is this not included in any reviews?  I just spent like a fucking hour (for reasons mostly involving the windows file explorer's... oddities) trying to find my save files.  This is in a game where single save file might represent 10+ hours of playtime.  This happened within a week of buying the game.

Am I going insane?  Because I googled this and found a steam forum thread where the developer talks about it so clearly its on purpose.   How did a game with such a stupid update system become popular enough to have an expansion?
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

jhxmt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #817 on: June 21, 2014, 05:12:08 am »

Am I going insane?  Because I googled this and found a steam forum thread where the developer talks about it so clearly its on purpose.   How did a game with such a stupid update system become popular enough to have an expansion?

It's rather more irritating and obvious on the Steam version, mainly because Steam auto-updates the game by default, but it's not an unheard-of process.  A number of other games do the same/similar things (e.g. Crusader Kings II).  It's primarily to avoid the danger of a player trying to load up an old-version saved game in a new-version updated game, which could cause various kinds of unpredictable behaviour.

As for the location of those saved games being in the AppData folder - eh, yeah, a bit aggravating, but not overly so.  It's the same place the game puts screenshots if you hit the PrintScreen button in game (and tells you the full location at the time), so I suspect there was just an assumption that people would know where that is.
Quote from: beefsupreme
Try slaughtering a ton of animals, meat makes less decisions than animals.

Why Your Ramps Don't Work
How To Breach A Volcano Safely

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #818 on: June 21, 2014, 08:21:46 am »

There has never been a standard place to save games for Steam releases. Every game company does it differently, ports between OS's differently, and Steam does not care. It's not even that easy to find out on forums and such because so many people have short attention spans and bounce from game to game. Also factor in how many people are computer illiterate. The most common question on a forum for a game with mods is "where does this go?" or "what's a zip file?" or "what do you mean I can't just drop the .zip in the mod folder and expect everything to work?".

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #819 on: June 21, 2014, 08:29:17 am »

Lazy programmers are lazy, news at 11.

And app data is the place where this stuff should go.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #820 on: June 21, 2014, 08:32:58 am »

all the files should be in 1 folder

i wont but games who are not following this rule evar
._.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #821 on: June 21, 2014, 01:33:53 pm »

It's rather more irritating and obvious on the Steam version, mainly because Steam auto-updates the game by default, but it's not an unheard-of process.  A number of other games do the same/similar things (e.g. Crusader Kings II).  It's primarily to avoid the danger of a player trying to load up an old-version saved game in a new-version updated game, which could cause various kinds of unpredictable behaviour.

As for the location of those saved games being in the AppData folder - eh, yeah, a bit aggravating, but not overly so.  It's the same place the game puts screenshots if you hit the PrintScreen button in game (and tells you the full location at the time), so I suspect there was just an assumption that people would know where that is.
I own Crusader Kings 2 and the game still shows incompatible saves under the saved game list (in-game.  I have no idea where the actual files are).  With Rajas of India they added a helpful X to show you which ones wouldn't work.  Previously to that I loaded and played a game multiple expansion packs after I started it, and on a different computer.  And it worked.

In every Paradox Grand Strategy game I've owned, you can still attempt to load saves after an expansion changes the map.  It just doesn't work.  This is not the same thing as the savegames vanishing with no explanation.  The vast majority of their updates also tend to respect save compatibility, which is as it should be for a game that takes hours and hours to beat.

I've moved my savegames back and set steam not to update so it should be fine, unless the current version has any particularly bad bugs.  But to do this I had to mess with the steam options, unhide folders, and go on a goose chase that revealed Windows 8 can search for files but it can't tell you where the actually are.  I'm fairly used to fucking around with computer files but that is too much to expect from an average user who is trying to play the vanilla game, on a computer that can run the vanilla game.  And yes I get it this is more clear if you aren't on steam and updates aren't applied automatically but... the dev advertises on steam, he gives out steam keys, the game can be bought on steam, his game should work on steam.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #822 on: June 21, 2014, 01:47:21 pm »

I'm fairly certain they standardized the save location to "*\Documents\My Games\Distant Worlds Universe" in the latest update.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #823 on: June 25, 2014, 03:02:45 am »

Playing as Securan pirates (because its so optimal!) I was literally bombing a Naxxilian empire's homeworld with nuclear bombs and they wouldn't agree to a protection agreement.  Since I only had one ship with bombardment weapons (I don't actually have the tech, but I set my ships to always capture so I have all sorts of strange ships being brought in) they were breeding as fast as they were being nuked.  Pretty sure the AI's reason for not agreeing was because the presence of my fleet was inflating the protection agreement up to 4,400 a month, I left and it dropped down to 1,100 which they agreed to.

Regardless of the reason, its funny to imagine a race that stubborn.

I'm fairly certain they standardized the save location to "*\Documents\My Games\Distant Worlds Universe" in the latest update.

Yeah, apparently right when I decided to rant about this it got fixed :/

Stuebi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #824 on: June 25, 2014, 05:53:36 am »

After testing this for a while on a mates rig, I gotta say the price is really too big for me. Currently on Steam Sale I can get 3 or 4 4x Games for the same price, if not more. Hoping that it goes on a 50% sale or something, otherwise I'll probably skip it in favor of sticking to Gal Civ 2 or Sins of a solar Empire. If Distant Worlds would cost around...say 30 Euros, it would be an isntant buy for me.

About the game itself tough:

I found Pirate Gameplay fun, but a little...weird. Either I dont fully grasp the mechanics, or the whole protection money thing is randomized. Some Empires that were on par with my military strength payed up with no big problem, other much smaller ones refused even after I blew up their entire fleet and was circling their Space Ports. I preffered Smuggling Missions for a bit of money on the side, and then stick to boarding ships (prefferably Constructors) and installing Criminal Networks on Planets.

When playing regularly, I liked that you can start pre-warp and watch your Empire grow from nothing. Generally, the game really tickles this great feeling you get from watching your empire grow. The fact that the AI builds private Ships that transport cargo and people really helps the atmosphere along too. It's funny that the advisors tend to recommend a really aggressive approach tough. If you listen to them when it comes to your fleet-size, they will blow your ENTIRE Cashflow on Military-ships.  :P
English isnt my mother language, so feel free to correct me if I make a mistake in my post.
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 65