Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 65

Author Topic: Distant Worlds (4x RTS)  (Read 128705 times)

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
Re: Distant Worlds (4x RTS)
« Reply #780 on: June 07, 2014, 03:07:27 pm »

It should be noted though that nail clippers are a crucial invention for a civilization to evolve. More than a few empires crumbled due to court scribes being unable to hold their writing apparatus with their messy, over-nail-y appendages.[citation needed]

In all seriousness, the thing is you don't know what technology will the ship yield you until you scrap it (IIRC?) so it COULD potentially be JUST what you need... And really depends - early in the game, a  destroyer's, let alone capital ship's maintenance cost might put too much strain on your starting economy, mid you might be looking to scrap it for tech, late it doesn't really matter... But that's just my take on this. TBH it also totally depends on how strong found ship actually is - somewhere in the league with your current ones? Scrap, I guess.
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

Rez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #781 on: June 07, 2014, 03:13:58 pm »

I guessed that you only get credit in the next level tech and you can only get tech for modules the ship has that you can't build.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #782 on: June 07, 2014, 03:59:30 pm »

Don't let the AI handle attacks when you have pirate bases. The AI is really bad at judging how many troops it needs to take one out and will just continually get your troops slaughtered.
I must also add that AI attacking pirate base is a quick way to depopulate the colony.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #783 on: June 08, 2014, 09:48:08 am »

so I closed the lid of my laptop and went to sleep.

day after I woke up and found computer not really asleep, with my empire having colonized a quarter of the galaxy and pushed other away from the rim.

I feel a little bit useless.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #784 on: June 08, 2014, 09:55:59 am »

day after I woke up and found computer not really asleep, with my empire having colonized a quarter of the galaxy and pushed other away from the rim.

Just did the same yesterday - my empire did about 10x better without my interference.

How do you get disputed colonies with someone/take their planets not through force? I've got absolute domination in every way over one race, but I don't want to go to war with them as I'm fighting a few others off and I just don't have the fleet capacity (even if I would crush them) to do it, plus I rather like them holding that area of space. That being said, they've got a few colonies I realllllly want, and I don't know how to get them diplomatically?
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Nelia Hawk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #785 on: June 08, 2014, 10:50:18 am »

Just did the same yesterday - my empire did about 10x better without my interference.

How do you get disputed colonies with someone/take their planets not through force? I've got absolute domination in every way over one race, but I don't want to go to war with them as I'm fighting a few others off and I just don't have the fleet capacity (even if I would crush them) to do it, plus I rather like them holding that area of space. That being said, they've got a few colonies I realllllly want, and I don't know how to get them diplomatically?
maybe spies can make their colonies rebel and then you take the one over? i dont know... its probably not that easy and would take a long time for multiple colonies, if that works.

not sure if there was something like "making a empire your vassal", but i guess you could ally up with them?  non agression pacts, mutual protection pacts, alliance and all that stuff... somehow its kind of the same anyways just the opposite way.
they paying you vassal taxes = they give you gifts.
they do their thing next to you = they do their thing next to you.
you trade with them as they are your minions = you trade with them as they are your allies.
they dont attack you because you are stronger but might rebel and go to war at some point to get out of the vassal stuff = they dont attack you because you are allies, but might backstab you at some point and go to war.
weirdly similar if i think this way...hmm

but the diplomatic route would probably take a while too if they dislike you much.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #786 on: June 08, 2014, 11:46:19 am »

can I board those lone traders for their juicy technology?

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #787 on: June 08, 2014, 12:12:25 pm »

can I board those lone traders for their juicy technology?
Yes. Right-click an independent ship with an assault pod-equipped one and choose "board." They'll attack and board it like any other ship, although it may irritate some people.

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #788 on: June 08, 2014, 12:21:12 pm »

Does anyone know if ion weapons disable shields?
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #789 on: June 08, 2014, 02:51:48 pm »

found world annihilation project: can I just destroy it?

destroyed. found another one being repaired, and sent a fleet to destroy that one as well.

also, released one spoiler creature, which basically seems to be candy cotton moster in space.

why every bad stuff is always around the sol system? the world destroyers first, now this...

« Last Edit: June 08, 2014, 03:10:05 pm by LoSboccacc »

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #790 on: June 08, 2014, 03:13:56 pm »

So many questions. Guess I'll answer them in order.

For disputed stations (stations owned in foreign empires) you can just trade them in the diplomatic screen. I -think- the same works with colonies, but I'm not sure. Causing rebellions won't work because they generally have to overpower the stationed troops there, which isn't likely. Your best route is just to scoop up the colonies quickly with a small fleet and just peace out while letting them keep their Homeworld.

Ion weapons are a favorite for pirates because they make boarding easy. Ion weapons do their default damage to shields, but once the shields go down they disable components rather than damage them I think. If one of those disabled components is the shields (or the power plants for the shields) then the shields won't go back up until the effects wear off. Ion weapons are meant to be a poor mans FTL jammer because they can quickly disable a ship.

You can just destroy a world annihilation project. However, if you're playing Ancient Galaxy it may cause an early war which could be devastating (Also it'll only slow them down, they'll start up new projects).
[Will:1] You scream. You scream like a little girl in pigtails and a tutu, flailing ineffectually like a starfish on meth.

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #791 on: June 08, 2014, 04:25:03 pm »

Actually I just tested ion cannons with a fleet of ion-only ships, and found they do not, in fact, damage (or disable) shields for the most part.  All they disable are weapons and engines, which is still useful.

I have been trying to figure out how to make an effective boarding only fleet, and so far ion cannons, close range weapons and tractor beams are the best bet.  However, I am having trouble getting ships to survive long enough to be boarded.  I wish there was an effective shield-killer that doesn't do damage to normal ships... anyone have any ideas?  Still experimenting.
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

Rez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #792 on: June 08, 2014, 04:36:12 pm »

you can instruct your ships to capture and I think they stop attacking once the shields are down.

Be careful if you've got fighters and bombers, as those receive their attack order when they are launched and I don't think you can stop them from attacking once they are en route.

Nelia Hawk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #793 on: June 08, 2014, 08:52:57 pm »

i think there is also an "empire policy" (?) tab just for boarding... i.e. what tech/size ships they should board automatically and what then gets used and what scrapped etc.
maybe setting stuff there to "board everything no matter what" makes them board automatically everything and maybe stop fighting it then once boarded?

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #794 on: June 08, 2014, 09:03:29 pm »

Uff. Problems at the borders: a pirate base, far and uncheked, thrived on the other empires ship. Now I face constant harassment and they have a large station guarded by a load of ships, some of which mine after a failed attempt at reducing their rank.

I have sprinkled capital ships in the nearby systems, so they moved upward to the core of my empire to raid. As time passes, they get stronger and stronger while I cannot bring dowb their strenght by attrition alone.

What should I do now? Massive attack with boarders? Gang up my seven capitals for a punitive strike, hoping they won't kill them?
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 65