Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 65

Author Topic: Distant Worlds (4x RTS)  (Read 128751 times)

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
Re: Distant Worlds (4x RTS)
« Reply #750 on: June 04, 2014, 04:51:53 pm »

Found a second one.

This one has a planet destroyer.

Also it isn't 14 sectors away.

Repairing it nao.

Oh and Sinistar, its not really THAT early in the game...I think? I have some decent upgrades and such (note: BFEL has built 5 wonders on his homeworld) and my economy and such is roughly on par with the Ancient Guardians'
Though admittedly my military isn't up to scratch just yet, these fleets will help that along, and mostly I've been playing "Sleeping Giant" and not rushing 8 billion ships out because I want to retrofit them as little as possible when I finally unleash the beast(s)

I'm one of those "coordinate everything into one big steamroll" people :P
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #751 on: June 04, 2014, 04:58:22 pm »

Same here, I believe my Albisian War Host had 77 ships (with ~7700 firepower total) in it at its peak during the 2nd Invasion of Albis by The Slukens. Of course, since then, due to administrative reforms and a popular uprising multiple ships were siphoned off to strengthen other fronts. Not to mention the current military theory evolution, where a number of ships were recently phased out of service.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #752 on: June 04, 2014, 05:33:01 pm »

Yea, I was just messing with you a little. Truth is, I wasn't sure if such big ship graveyards exist in non-Sluken game (I remember just lone capital ships in my last vanilla game) and so I tried to scare you of imminent rape (even though you actually have to trigger it manually). So yeah, I'm basically just pretended I'm a pro-DW player, even though I never even experienced Sluken invasion.

*ducks under a table*
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #753 on: June 04, 2014, 06:09:42 pm »

Yea, I was just messing with you a little. Truth is, I wasn't sure if such big ship graveyards exist in non-Sluken game (I remember just lone capital ships in my last vanilla game) and so I tried to scare you of imminent rape (even though you actually have to trigger it manually). So yeah, I'm basically just pretended I'm a pro-DW player, even though I never even experienced Sluken invasion.

*ducks under a table*

Most of the insectoid races will go all mongol on you given the chance, i've been basically in a state of constant, low-intensity warfare with the slukens for ever. In this last war though, i've given them such a beating it will literally take centuries to recover.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #754 on: June 06, 2014, 06:31:19 am »

You mean ALL of the insectoid races?
Every single one is super aggressive.

Distant Worlds was made by people who really hate bugs.
And communism.

I mean would it have killed them to put in ONE insect race not hellbent on killing everyone? Maybe based on aphids or hell even bumblebees.
Geez guys, how are we gonna get over our primitive bug-hate and join the galactic federation if all our media depicts them as bastards?
« Last Edit: June 06, 2014, 06:35:26 am by BFEL »
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

pedrousz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #755 on: June 06, 2014, 10:27:04 am »

new player, this game is fucking amazing

there is any way of disabling the menu click sound?
it is so annoying ;_;

also, I'm trying to manually build and retrofit ships, but I don't think I'm getting it properly. Like, should I care for private ships or late it automate? Right now I'm letting it auto, but even though I have some technologies (like shields and armor), the civilians ships doesn't seems to care.

Also, what is the bonus income? I just got 18k+ and I don't even know how it happened.

thanks

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #756 on: June 06, 2014, 12:32:27 pm »

Make sure to leave automation on, and just uncheck which types of ships you want to manually update.  I would also suggest leaving the auto-production on and just adjusting the ratio of ships, it makes it so much easier later on.

Also, a handy trick is to set it to build a spaceport at every colony you make, which helps a lot with trade/build time (Although it may add some more upkeep cost).
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #757 on: June 06, 2014, 02:14:33 pm »

There is a commercial model that you can add onto spaceports / stations / bases.  It automatically gives +% to income for whatever transactions that trade ships do in the spaceport/mining-gas station/resort.  (Kinda like extra tax?  This might just be the bonus income?)

I believe... generally, income comes from taxation of the population and commercial doings of private ships.  So basically, the more trade there is, even moving resources from mining-gas stations to your spaceport, the more income the private sector makes... the more taxes you receive.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #758 on: June 06, 2014, 03:43:02 pm »

More space ports need more transports though since each port needs to be stocked with resources. Expanding too much usually stretches your trade too thin.

Nelia Hawk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #759 on: June 06, 2014, 06:42:20 pm »

You mean ALL of the insectoid races?
Every single one is super aggressive.

Distant Worlds was made by people who really hate bugs.
And communism.

I mean would it have killed them to put in ONE insect race not hellbent on killing everyone? Maybe based on aphids or hell even bumblebees.
Geez guys, how are we gonna get over our primitive bug-hate and join the galactic federation if all our media depicts them as bastards?
what about the mod stuff in the new version?
is it possible to edit the races?
i.e. if aggression is a number between 0 and 100 in some "race.data" or so would it be possible to change it now with the mod stuff?

I disliked the whole 'All insect races are bastards' thingy. And the fact that nobody seems to like hive minds.

maybe with the mod tools its possible to edit what government type a race likes too?
or edit what the likes/dislikes are for each gov type.

Rez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #760 on: June 06, 2014, 08:05:40 pm »

I'm pretty sure like/dislike of government type is based on their government type, not their race.  I'm probably wrong.

IMO, the relations malus based on size and power needs to be nerfed or be dependent on how aggressive/underhanded you are.  If you're powerful enough, other states instantly dislike you, no matter how benign or passive you are.  A baseline level for jealously is reasonably, but, as a respectable empire that never started wars, I was seeing -20 relations immediately with anyone I ran into.  These races didn't even know the size of my empire or my population and they instantly hated me for showing up and saying "Hi, guys, we're out there.".  Then a long slog with gifts and ambassadors for them to say "Oh, you've got lots of cool goods, why don't we trade?"

More space ports need more transports though since each port needs to be stocked with resources. Expanding too much usually stretches your trade too thin.
Is there any way to make the private sector build more freighters?

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #761 on: June 06, 2014, 08:17:28 pm »

Certain races naturally like or dislike other races and certain government types like or dislike other government types. Usually it's a split between the more "relaxed" types and races versus the more "totalitarian" types and races (democracy + republic + utopian paradise v. despotism + hive mind + military dictatorship and most other races v. insectoids).

Empires will find pretty much any reason to dislike you, including instinctive dislikes (racial opinion modifiers), having desirable colonies or resources, much greater military strength, whether or not you have enslaved/are exterminating members of their dominant race, and your government type.

In their defense, knowing the general size and strength of their empire is shown for you on the diplomacy screen, too. It's safe to assume that an empire with 30+ colonies and 100,000 firepower is pretty strong.

Is there any way to make the private sector build more freighters?
Expanding your empire with colonies will spur the civilians towards building more ships. Additional mining stations may work as well. If the trade itself doesn't matter to you and you just need resources, smuggling missions are a good way to acquire resources, as long as you're fine with feeding any number of pirate factions cash.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #762 on: June 06, 2014, 08:27:20 pm »

Hmmm...are Q-ships possible in this game? Ships that look like freighters and act like freighters but are actually armed and player-owned?
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #763 on: June 06, 2014, 08:47:12 pm »

Hmmm...are Q-ships possible in this game? Ships that look like freighters and act like freighters but are actually armed and player-owned?
Partially. You can arm civilian ships with a single weapon and change their response to hostile ships. If you asked me, I'd strap a death ray (if applicable) to all new freighter designs and set the ships to attack enemies to the bitter end. Unfortunately, you can never gain control of a civilian ship.

Nelia Hawk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #764 on: June 06, 2014, 08:54:21 pm »

another option is to build a military ship with cargobays and change the gfx in the top right to the freighter gfx.
but i dont think you can manually "trade" with the cargobays, as that is all for the civilian sector, so the cargobays are kind of a waste of space. (but troop space might work instead of cargo.. but then you have a troopship with freighter gfx.)
but you "can" do mostly whatever you want for "RP" reasons. (even though it might not be "effective")

also nothing stops you to put a hanger bay on every civilian freighter design... or weapons or to change all freighter/ship gfx in the top left of the design screen to starbases.
think the only "limit" might be that cargo ships need to have X% of modules for cargo or so similar to how carriers need to have X% of hangarbays.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2014, 08:56:13 pm by Nelia Hawk »
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 65