Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 65

Author Topic: Distant Worlds (4x RTS)  (Read 128758 times)

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Distant Worlds (4x RTS)
« Reply #720 on: June 02, 2014, 01:35:31 pm »

ok, next question: how do you make sure you have a good mix?

Didn't see any additional options, other than "load troops at nearest"
You can garrison troops at the colony through the troop menu to prevent ships from picking them up. Garrison a good chunk of all unit types so there's a desired mix of units being loaded on board. I'm honestly not sure how the game decides what troops to pick up when told to load the ships.

If you're invading a colony and meet an insane level of resistance (like on homeworlds with fifteen+ billion people), sometimes it's worth it to kill a few people or five billion with nuclear bombardment to lower their strength enough so you can invade with a reasonable army. I keep a few ships armed with nuclear devastators for just such an occasion.

EDIT: I think the Distant Worlds equivalent of World War II just started. In a matter of three days, war was declared over twenty times between different empires. This'll be fun to watch.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2014, 02:07:58 pm by Jacob/Lee »

Lord Snow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #721 on: June 02, 2014, 02:12:02 pm »

You can garrison troops at the colony through the troop menu to prevent ships from picking them up. Garrison a good chunk of all unit types so there's a desired mix of units being loaded on board. I'm honestly not sure how the game decides what troops to pick up when told to load the ships.

If you're invading a colony and meet an insane level of resistance (like on homeworlds with fifteen+ billion people), sometimes it's worth it to kill a few people or five billion with nuclear bombardment to lower their strength enough so you can invade with a reasonable army. I keep a few ships armed with nuclear devastators for just such an occasion.

That sounds like a sufficiently dwarven solution. I'll just glass the next bastards giving too much resistence.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #722 on: June 02, 2014, 07:13:51 pm »

EDIT: I think the Distant Worlds equivalent of World War II just started. In a matter of three days, war was declared over twenty times between different empires. This'll be fun to watch.
The game determines what units to carry via the percentages in the policy tab, I think.
I just noticed a couple tabs and was about to make a post on it. :P

Anyway, troop loadout is determined by percentages on the ship/fleet screen. Go to the fleet menu and select the fleet, then set the percentage of whatever units you want in the boxes at the bottom-middle of the screen. If it's a lone ship, find it on the ships menu and click the "troops & characters" tab, which has a column of boxes similar to the fleet menu.

-----

Korabbian Spice is worth quite a lot, apparently, like Zentabia Fluid. I had actually discovered one source of both in the galaxy, both of which were already in other empires' areas of influence, so I didn't bother at the time. However, when I was finished rubbing out the Fire Gang and most of the Mortalu Council, I decided to take a shot at it.

The Korabbian Spice was covered by the Enton Domain's area of influence, who didn't exactly like me. They didn't claim the moon it was on, though. I guess they never discovered it and the other resources on the moon were too worthless to justify building a mining station. The other problem was that it was halfway across the galaxy, smack in the middle. I got over this obstacle for the most part by parking a few resupply ships in caslon nebulae between my space and theirs.

I first started with money. I had a couple million excess credits so I showered them in wealth. I also granted them mining and refuelling rights. Eventually, with enough cash, I managed to get our relationship up to the positives and they gave me mining rights. I swooped in with a construction ship and built a mining station, claiming the Korabbian Spice for the Gizurean Collective! They were pretty pissed off after being stood up, it seems, because they demanded the station from us multiple times, to which our response was "go fuck yourselves." It's occasionally crippled by the neverending sand slugs, even with its twenty railguns, but it's repaired at a good enough pace. The civilians rabidly selling the spice and my refusal to let it go to any other empire has crashed the price from 600 to 329 in a matter of five years.

An ongoing war has given the Khulum Confederacy control over a nearby colony, placing the spice mine in their sphere of influence. They immediately demanded it from us, to which the response was the same. A resupply ship is being moved to the gas giant the moon orbits and combat vessels are being deployed to maintain control over this valuable asset. The Confederacy will be crushed before that mine is lost. The Zentabia Fluid source is held by another, even more hostile empire. I won't bother with trying to wrench that from them just yet.

Other things of note include the relocation of alien races in the Collective's space to frontier slave worlds, a hot war between half the galaxy and the Shakturi (to which we support the Shakturi via massive piles of cash), the explosion of the civilian and state fleets alike, a massive chain of declarations of war in response to the Shakturi incident, and the Collective approaching seventy-five billion members of almost purely Gizurean citizens. The year is 2191 and the Collective has yet to stumble, much less fall.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2014, 12:52:29 am by Jacob/Lee »

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #723 on: June 03, 2014, 08:11:20 am »

I first started with money. I had a couple million excess credits so I showered them in wealth. I also granted them mining and refuelling rights. Eventually, with enough cash, I managed to get our relationship up to the positives and they gave me mining rights. I swooped in with a construction ship and built a mining station, claiming the Korabbian Spice for the Gizurean Collective! They were pretty pissed off after being stood up, it seems, because they demanded the station from us multiple times, to which our response was "go fuck yourselves." It's occasionally crippled by the neverending sand slugs, even with its twenty railguns, but it's repaired at a good enough pace. The civilians rabidly selling the spice and my refusal to let it go to any other empire has crashed the price from 600 to 329 in a matter of five years.
The spice must flow.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #724 on: June 03, 2014, 09:48:21 am »

The spice must flow.
Exactly.

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #725 on: June 03, 2014, 10:54:50 am »

I started a war to get ahold of carbon fiber, the only production resources that I didn't have access to (Annoyingly enough).  The resource system in this game really adds a lot I think. 

In other news, the Shakturi are here!  Should I ally with them or not?  I am insect, so it should be easy enough to do.  Will they eventually turn on me?  I feel like they would, but they are scary so...
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #726 on: June 03, 2014, 11:57:11 am »

I think you can stop them early by stomping that little refugee colony.  Not sure, never tried it.

Also, never tried allying with them as I always want the whole pie for myself.  Your victory conditions are whatever they are, though.  So if you can ally with them and still meet your conditions, it should be fine.

jhxmt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #727 on: June 03, 2014, 12:11:27 pm »

I bit the bullet and bought Universe (with full discount from owning all the prior releases), mainly just so that I could get the Steam integration (together with the various other polished-up improvements).  Time to start being beaten up by pirates again!   :P
Quote from: beefsupreme
Try slaughtering a ton of animals, meat makes less decisions than animals.

Why Your Ramps Don't Work
How To Breach A Volcano Safely

Lord Snow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #728 on: June 03, 2014, 12:17:36 pm »

I bit the bullet and bought Universe (with full discount from owning all the prior releases), mainly just so that I could get the Steam integration (together with the various other polished-up improvements).  Time to start being beaten up by pirates again!   :P
what. how did you get steam integration from buying from matrix games?
My key doesn't register with steam.

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #729 on: June 03, 2014, 12:23:26 pm »

I think you can stop them early by stomping that little refugee colony.  Not sure, never tried it.

Also, never tried allying with them as I always want the whole pie for myself.  Your victory conditions are whatever they are, though.  So if you can ally with them and still meet your conditions, it should be fine.

I want Allll the pie.
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #730 on: June 03, 2014, 12:28:18 pm »

what. how did you get steam integration from buying from matrix games?
My key doesn't register with steam.
The full instructions can be found here, but basically, you go to Slitherene here, create an account (if you don't have one already), register your serial, and generate your Steam key. 

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #731 on: June 03, 2014, 12:49:12 pm »

I started a war to get ahold of carbon fiber, the only production resources that I didn't have access to (Annoyingly enough).  The resource system in this game really adds a lot I think. 

In other news, the Shakturi are here!  Should I ally with them or not?  I am insect, so it should be easy enough to do.  Will they eventually turn on me?  I feel like they would, but they are scary so...
I say subjugate them.

Not because they're not good for you or anything (I wouldn't know, never played insect yet), but because when they get a certain strength I believe they get 3 Planet Destroyers and basically snipe any planet they come across before jumping away to other systems to snipe again. Wiping from existence potentially some of the most populous or most resource-rich planets doesn't sound like the best ally in my opinion.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #732 on: June 03, 2014, 01:00:26 pm »

Mmmm, planet killers.  Planet killers and piiiiiiie.

What I always found missing in DW, is mega-scale stellar constructions.  Like in SE4&5.  I hear rumors that in 'Universe' the mod tools let you create planet killers... but I want to be able to create artificial worlds, ring worlds, dyson spheres, culture stle "orbitals" hosting vast populations.

Also, I want to blow up entire suns and (to borrow a phrase from Gregor Hutton) turn vast regions of space into fertile star-forming nebulae.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #733 on: June 03, 2014, 01:31:28 pm »

Planet killers have been in since... Shadows? Before?

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #734 on: June 03, 2014, 01:38:46 pm »

since always RotS, I think.  But you could only find them, not build them.
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 65