Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 65

Author Topic: Distant Worlds (4x RTS)  (Read 128778 times)

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
Re: Distant Worlds (4x RTS)
« Reply #705 on: June 01, 2014, 06:25:59 pm »

Update: BFEL has learned to thingdo, Empire Established.

So I finished up the tutorials, then started a game with everyone pre-warp (note, no pirates because I'm going for "I'm literally one of the first civilizations to exist in the galaxy" and thus having random teched up pirates would be silly) and myself playing Mortalens.

Fun fact: our empire name is "Mortalen Coil" :P

Anyway, highlights:
Achieved first warp flight at same point the super shipyard wonder completed on my homeworld.
Uncovered a derelict high tech cruiser in the Romulus system ((there goes my "first dudes to space" theory :( But hey, awesome ship))
Achieved first contact with Wesskarian Despot Dudes. I am a Democracy. They hate my guts. Forever.

But I don't give a shit because I have teched so fucking hard my homeworld has two more wonders (the high tech research institute and the merchant bazaar) along with a fleet of destroyers that just fucking bury any tech those stupid frogs have, and my homeworld now has a spaceport so large and awesome it cost as much as a wonder.

Long story short: BFEL is winning. Hard.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

rumpel

• Bay Watcher
  • test
    • View Profile
« Reply #706 on: June 01, 2014, 07:11:29 pm »

After I played the game literally the whole day (aprox 10 - 15 hours without a break (a friend well... 'downloaded' the game)) I decided that it's not worth that much money on Steam. It's a cool game and all but it's lacking something crucial (for me).
That said, it is my first game and I am expanding everything and I am on 1st for population, colonies etc but except military (around 6th there) and economy (2nd). But literally the 2nd overall at win conditions. I finally called my fleets and my great allies to arms and am attacking the AI on 1st place, because it has like doubled military compared to the AI on 2nd place and also kinda out-tripled my economy. Tough war, but as far as I can tell I will win it.

Yeah, I don't know.

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #707 on: June 01, 2014, 07:20:15 pm »

Quick question, how do you land troops on your own planet from troop ships? Landing them on hostile planets is easy enough, I just can't figure out how to do it on my own planets to help stop a rebellion.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #708 on: June 01, 2014, 07:22:32 pm »

With that, the Fire Gang, the greatest pirates the galaxy can remember, has been almost totally wiped out. They made the mistake of attacking Gizurea 1, the former homeworld of my empire's brothers and opponents. That colony had the entire retaliation fleet orbiting it, waiting to be sent out to the first place we found the Fire Gang's main force. They came to us and lost horrendously. The whole force was either destroyed or boarded and captured.

They supposedly own three colonies but none of the territory maps I've stolen from them support that. Their fleet has been cut down to four ships with 688 firepower between them, which even the most backwater modern empire could defeat. The Fire Gang's reign of terror is over, the final kill count for them being 101 destroyed ships/bases, three captures, and a single accomplished raid. Yet another obstacle crushed under the feet of the Gizurean Collective, now standing at fourty-two billion citizens in eight colonies.

Quick question, how do you land troops on your own planet from troop ships? Landing them on hostile planets is easy enough, I just can't figure out how to do it on my own planets to help stop a rebellion.
Hover your mouse over the colony with the ships selected. You should see the troop icon with a red arrow. Right click to unload forces.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #709 on: June 01, 2014, 07:28:37 pm »

After I played the game literally the whole day (aprox 10 - 15 hours without a break (a friend well... 'downloaded' the game)) I decided that it's not worth that much money on Steam. It's a cool game and all but it's lacking something crucial (for me).
That said, it is my first game and I am expanding everything and I am on 1st for population, colonies etc but except military (around 6th there) and economy (2nd). But literally the 2nd overall at win conditions. I finally called my fleets and my great allies to arms and am attacking the AI on 1st place, because it has like doubled military compared to the AI on 2nd place and also kinda out-tripled my economy. Tough war, but as far as I can tell I will win it.

Yeah, I don't know.

Well, my only advice is give it a couple of games to see if you really like it. It's not a super steep learning curve, but it takes a little while to acclimate to the game.

EDIT: I don't know why this is, but i've noticed the latest in a trend of character traits which I frequently incur in almost every strategy game. Most of my military characters are drunks, as are several of my diplomats. I know they like to party in Albis, but c'mon guys you got important jobs y'know?
« Last Edit: June 01, 2014, 08:04:11 pm by Urist McScoopbeard »
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #710 on: June 01, 2014, 09:14:55 pm »

Yeah, a lot of my characters end up being astonishingly less useful as time goes on. My better spy suddenly became lawful in a time when counter-espionage was totally useless to me (spoiler alert: it still is) and I needed things stolen and stations destroyed. He later gained the trait "demoralizing" and I decided to relieve him of duty. Fleet admirals also seem to develop a positive trait for one part of combat and negatives in every other (good tactician/poor defender+attacker+logistician). A similar case applies to ground commanders. At least my leader has mostly bonuses in his modifiers.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #711 on: June 01, 2014, 09:31:11 pm »

Don't get me wrong, most of my characters are amazing, being embroiled in many conflicts and anti-piracy operations. (not to mention a little covert espionage) Its just they're all hilariously drunk. Whenver I used to play total war games all my generals got drunk too. Maybe its because im TOO successful?
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Lord Snow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #712 on: June 02, 2014, 03:18:57 am »

Is it just me, or does construction speed barely do anything for your race?

I tried the Ackdarians in my last game, thinking i could overrun my nearest neighbour, but simply ran into crippling ressource shortages. What's worse, the shortages blocked my construction, so civilians could order less/nothing and i ran into debt.

Any way to really devour your neighbours in a rapid expansion early start?
If building up your empire for a couple of years is generally superior, aren't research and/or reproduction focused races way ahead once fighting becomes viable?

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #713 on: June 02, 2014, 08:03:42 am »

My current game is Gizureans, and I am having a blast.  All my ships have boarding parties, and they are all fairly small in size, so it's like a gigantic swarm of ships that take over anyone who opposes me!  Hahahahaha
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #714 on: June 02, 2014, 08:46:19 am »

So I'm predicting that ground combat may be approaching in my game with the Mortalen Coil ((HAR HAR)) so I thought I would run my strategy by you guys.

I'm currently researching the robotic troops thing, so I'm planning to use garrisoned robots to defend my worlds, and send in teams of Special Forces to invade, possibly with planetary defense units so the worlds I conquer start with some defenses.

Is this viable, or do I REALLY need infantry/armor to invade peoples?
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Chosrau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #715 on: June 02, 2014, 09:36:02 am »

You do want a mix of ground troops, having the +25% Armored Assault Bonus on your Troop strength is very nice. It's downright necessary later into the game when some planets have up to 2k of troop strength defending.

Lord Snow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #716 on: June 02, 2014, 10:35:44 am »

You do want a mix of ground troops, having the +25% Armored Assault Bonus on your Troop strength is very nice. It's downright necessary later into the game when some planets have up to 2k of troop strength defending.
Sorry, you lost me there.

I have to MIX troops to get the armored assault bonus? I'd have thought sending in armored units (what was that, the 2nd tier guys you get? the ones you build a factory for?) would give the bonus by itself

Lord Snow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #717 on: June 02, 2014, 10:52:18 am »

the armored units by themselves don't generate that bonus?

Or do they take up more space per attack and you should mix them in because of that?

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #718 on: June 02, 2014, 11:11:04 am »

Troops + Armor = Armor Bonus
Only Armor = No Armor Bonus

It simulates Tanks, covered by Infantry.  Cause more eyes = more likely to spot and shoot the sod aiming the rocket launcher at the tank before they can shoot.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Lord Snow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #719 on: June 02, 2014, 12:58:53 pm »

ok, next question: how do you make sure you have a good mix?

Didn't see any additional options, other than "load troops at nearest"
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 65