Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 65

Author Topic: Distant Worlds (4x RTS)  (Read 128811 times)

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Distant Worlds (4x RTS)
« Reply #675 on: May 29, 2014, 01:09:24 pm »

I got DW Extended mod, and also made Mechanoid (guess Ancient Guardians) and Shakturi to be playable. Cause I actually want them outside the storyline and face them in the universe. And I made Mechanoid to be able to expand for added entertainment. No I don't care about "lol lore"...I want Mechanoid to be able to expand :P

And I guess they don't show up in the game at all, unless the player can choose them (in the sandbox mode). Usually I guess they are only for the story thing or whatever it is. So, I fixed that and made them show up in sandbox for lots of fun and entertainment. :D

So, here I am...just the boring, human race cause I'm boring. Doing good, still learning a lot, but got the basics down. I'm the toughest (or was till I met the two huge empires)...with a ton of allies and trade going on...

So, what do I see? A huge Mechanoid empire duking it out with an even larger Shakturi empire. I being "good", ended up helping the Mechanoids, along with some other allies. But man the Shakturi expand so fast. But, at least the Mechanoids are equal enough to hold them off.

And after 12, non stop, real life hours...no one has really won or lost. Some battles won, some battles lost...so a 12 hour game is pretty much a stalemate right now. But all empires are so tiny compared to those two.

What an epic game I'm having. Huge battles everywhere against the Shakturi (and they actually have a couple allies, which is funny). And no one winning or losing. Way better with those two than without. :D
« Last Edit: May 29, 2014, 01:12:42 pm by Vendayn »
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #676 on: May 29, 2014, 02:31:28 pm »

That sounds pretty boss.  Got a link to the mod youre using, as well as your personal customizations?

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #677 on: May 29, 2014, 02:43:41 pm »

This is the mod:

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3141149

And I did upload the changes to a friend. Only thing I changed was Mechanoid to expand, and both them and Shakturi to be playable. I did include the optional modification to that, that changes some of the races and makes Mechanoids and Shakturi to be even stronger. And some small changes to others. This also increased max AI in a map from 37 to 39 (on largest size)

I dunno if I should link the dropbox changes though. Cause I just uploaded the entire Extended mod folder, since that is easier for my friend to get and manage. Saves him time from going random places to get it and me explaining how to do it. But, modders (at least from my experience with Skyrim) get angry when one uploads their entire mod :P. If you do still want it, I can PM you the link. I don't think I'd want to put it up in public. It was mostly for personal use and for my friend.

(edit: If you do the changes yourself, be sure to make those two txt files read only. For some reason, the game overwrites the changes unless its set to that. A bit weird, but oh well.)
« Last Edit: May 29, 2014, 02:52:41 pm by Vendayn »
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #678 on: May 29, 2014, 02:55:32 pm »

I never got into DW modding, how complicated are the changes?  Are there just some configuration files with some flags flipped, or is is more involved?

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #679 on: May 29, 2014, 03:02:03 pm »

Just download the mod (or any other), and move the mod folder to customization. And select it as a theme (in-game) to use.

Any changes I did are simple or were done by the submod I got (though I did make personal changes). There are probably a lot more sophisticated ways to make mods. But, all I did was change settings in the races.txt file of the races I wanted to change. All it was was number changing cause the submod was a bit weird to me in some areas. And, turning N to Y for them to be playable/expand...I left them off as pirates though. I wouldn't want to fight them as pirates. :P

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #680 on: May 29, 2014, 04:08:09 pm »

haha... bored ancient vorlon-esque race pirating around the galaxy.  That's how I'd spend my immortality.

The "Shadows" style pirates remind me very much of the lighthugger crews in Alastair Reynolds's revelation space books.  Freebooting assholes with high tech ships, trading with planetary governments and/or holding them at gunpoint.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #681 on: May 29, 2014, 05:20:11 pm »

If you get tired of them, you can find their bases with fleets/spies and stomp them flat, too! I regularly murdered pirate factions that irritated me, which was often.
It's a good way to get reputation, too.  It's quite satisfying to go back to those pirates who demanded regular protection money back when you were building your first spaceport and deliver that final notice of payment via high-velocity kinetic impactor. 
I like bringing along a lot of ships with boarding pods when I attack their bases. Hijacking the totally legitimate freighters floating around is one of the few ways of producing a gain when exterminating pirate factions.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #682 on: May 29, 2014, 06:17:46 pm »

I've booted it up again to have a go with, but I've kinda gotta say I'm not as impressed as I was before somehow.

I do think it's a great 4x game, but after 3-4 hours play I've gotten to the point where the message spam is ridiculously unbearable. I can't keep track of even a third of whats going off and I'm just clicking approve to pretty much everything as I have no idea what's going on/wouldn't get anything done otherwise. I was trying to attack a pirate base and I literally couldn't due to so much spam going off. I've automated everything I don't really care about, but diplomacy/colonizing/espionage are kinda important things to decide on and I'm getting swamped just with those alone.

Is it a case of just automating everything to the point of basically not playing? I mean, I do like a good simulation, but I just don't get how I can possibly make meaningful decisions with SO much message spam, unless I'm pausing literally (and I do mean literally) every 20 seconds.

I don't know what I'm expecting, but if anyone knows a way to deal with this I'd be grateful!
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #683 on: May 29, 2014, 07:27:51 pm »

Is it a case of just automating everything to the point of basically not playing?

If the AI can win against itself, then yes. If you are the only thing capable of winning against the AI, then no.

I've found the AI to be really stupid about building ships. It can slow your economy and spacestations to a crawl.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2014, 07:42:05 pm by BigD145 »

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #684 on: May 29, 2014, 08:10:51 pm »

man, the AI is getting intense in my game. I've been RPing a feudal human empire, that original had a massive war with the sluken. Humans came out on top of course with my tremendous leadership. After that we enslaved most of them, but soon emancipated them. Then my Kingdom went through a succession crisis where half the colonies seceded when the old leader was usurped. It was quickly crushed. Now however, after dealing with pirates and getting my economy back on its feet (#1 baby, WOOO!) the Sluken Remnant invaded me once more! I come to find they've had secret monitoring stations within my borders and sent invasion fleets stationed in deep space in to several systems. 2 out of the 3 fleets were crushed by my royal navy (my fleets in charge of protecting the feudal realms had less fighting) and only one world was invaded, unfortunately it was recently colonized so it will have to be retaken completely. Once I put down this little assault, i'm going to crush their capital and last remaining planet with overwhelming force!
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #685 on: May 30, 2014, 10:09:07 am »

Welp. A few months into my latest game and I get a galactic news report about another empire releasing a silver mist cloud a few sectors (10x10) away from my homeworld. Great job, guys.

Lord Snow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #686 on: May 30, 2014, 11:38:12 am »

Welp.

I bought Distant Worlds years ago. Saw potential, but didn't get into it. Didn't seem like much of a game to me, either, more of a simulator.
Also, i don't really like grand strategy. I like the idea, but try as i might, i never found my way into it.

Decided to try my luck on this again with the Universe Edition.
Worth.

Funny how these guys managed to make a complicated game better by adding stuff.
Somehow they didn't make a complicated game into a complicated, bloated abomination, but a grander, better rounded and more accessible version of its former self.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #687 on: May 31, 2014, 05:48:40 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Let's see: Another empire composed of the same race as me with a nearly identical flag and name just called my species inferior. Ah, Distant Worlds.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #688 on: May 31, 2014, 05:57:11 pm »

I'm pretty sure Humans have historically behaved the same way, when encountering other cultures on our very own planet.

Seems legit.

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #689 on: May 31, 2014, 06:37:34 pm »

I'm pretty sure Humans have historically behaved the same way, when encountering other cultures on our very own planet.

Seems legit.

Haha, good point!

I have been enjoying this game as well.
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 65