Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 65

Author Topic: Distant Worlds (4x RTS)  (Read 128859 times)

Biowraith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Distant Worlds (4x RTS)
« Reply #600 on: March 14, 2014, 05:47:03 pm »

Just skimmed through the population policies on a saved game and it doesn't look like they can be applied to your starting race (other races in the same family as your starter, sure, but not your starter race themselves) - they seem to always have free reign to go anywhere they feel like.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #601 on: March 14, 2014, 07:30:20 pm »

You can mod it so that your species won't migrate as often.  But that is blanket...
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: May 20, 2014, 01:13:53 pm »

Release date for 'Universe has been announced.  May 23.  Details here:  http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3610159

sounds like $10 off for preorder, and $10 dollars off for each of the previous games you own ( up to $40 off for all of DW, RotS, Legends, Shadows)

I have not played Shadows yet, but I'll probably plunk down for this.  Hopefully the new mod capabilities breathe in some fresh ideas.   The mod guide is already up on the official forums.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #603 on: May 20, 2014, 01:29:52 pm »

That's a totally legit pricing scheme, actually. And it'll also be on Steam. Matrix gets a thumbs up from me!

$10 off for preorder is interesting, but I don't own any of the previous games and I'm not sure I want to pay $50 for a game that requires as much time investment as this one does. I need to be playing less games, not more!

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #604 on: May 20, 2014, 01:45:52 pm »

Why is may 23 the day for so many good games?

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #605 on: May 20, 2014, 04:43:10 pm »

Release date for 'Universe has been announced.  May 23.  Details here:  http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3610159

sounds like $10 off for preorder, and $10 dollars off for each of the previous games you own ( up to $40 off for all of DW, RotS, Legends, Shadows)

I have not played Shadows yet, but I'll probably plunk down for this.  Hopefully the new mod capabilities breathe in some fresh ideas.   The mod guide is already up on the official forums.
Where is the pre-order button?  >.>
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #606 on: May 20, 2014, 06:03:10 pm »

Urgh this seems a bit of a terrible money-grab from something that's already pretty ridiculously priced compared.
I mean they've basically just done an 'all in one' pack which they already done, and added a bit more modding support (which most games do free) and a story and then charged full price for it again. Even $20 (with all the expansions) for something which is just a re-pack and modding tools seems a bit excessive.

I hate to say this, but it does really put me off the whole product when they price it so harshly.

With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Nachodsk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #607 on: May 20, 2014, 06:14:41 pm »

Urgh this seems a bit of a terrible money-grab from something that's already pretty ridiculously priced compared.
I mean they've basically just done an 'all in one' pack which they already done, and added a bit more modding support (which most games do free) and a story and then charged full price for it again. Even $20 (with all the expansions) for something which is just a re-pack and modding tools seems a bit excessive.

I hate to say this, but it does really put me off the whole product when they price it so harshly.

There are other ways to test the product, which I will not mention, that's why that 'back-part' of the 'industry' exists, so you can test the product before actually buying it (AND EVEN MORE IF IT'S HIGH PRICE)

I've been following it's own line since the very beginning of the announcement of the game (which was quite a good time ago..) and to be honest after all i've read from the matrixgames forums and the screenshoots / pdf's I can personally say I would love to buy it (but I can't, not for any money issue -which is not a great deal if you're buying a good game- but because my country's exchange policy doesn't allow me to buy foreign currency to make the transaction)

Tl;dr --> If you are not so sure about it, download it via many ways (torrent) and IF YOU LIKE THE GAME, BUY IT AND SUPPORT THE DEVS

Have a great night!

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #608 on: May 20, 2014, 06:23:41 pm »

my country's exchange policy doesn't allow me to buy foreign currency to make the transaction

Ah, but this time it will also be released on Steam, so you can have the pleasure of purchasing it at incredibly abusive exchange rates and arbitrary markups!

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #609 on: May 20, 2014, 06:24:06 pm »

I've bought the game before (not all the expansion packs) and I do enjoy it - in fact I think it's great.

What I don't like is that they've just added a small amount of content (even if the story is long, it's not really a story game) and modding ability and then charged what I see as an unreasonable amount for it.

This is kinda amplified as modding really is usually given free, as it helps the developer by extending the life of their game and requiring more people to buy the basic product so it seems even more tight-fisted of them to charge for that.

With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #610 on: May 20, 2014, 06:45:52 pm »

* Zangi Doesn't consider additions to game for each expansion... 'small'.

But hey, if you are new to the whole thing... 60 bucks for the whole package is a damn good deal.   Yes, it is worth the price of AAA, in my opinion.

Knave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #611 on: May 20, 2014, 07:16:44 pm »

Plus if already own all the expansions it's really not that expensive at all...

if you own everything that's been released so far (Distant Worlds + Return of the Shakturi + Legends + Shadows) then during the post-release promotion period, your price to upgrade to Universe would be $9.99 Download or $19.99 Physical ($49.99 or $59.99 - $40 discount for four previous releases). There will be a page on our site where you can get the upgrade discount coupon. This upgrade will be available through our store only, we don't have a way of doing this through Steam. All you will need to get the upgrade coupon is the serial number for each release.

We'll be offering Steam keys to customers who upgrade and purchase through our site.

9.99  for expansion +Steam Key - That's pretty good I think.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #612 on: May 20, 2014, 07:30:43 pm »

Definitely don't underestimate the work it takes to make a game moddable if it wasn't meant to be that way originally.

Those that own the game get a significant discount for it.

Those that don't get to purchase the entire thing for less than - what was it - $120?

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #613 on: May 20, 2014, 07:34:36 pm »

It's not that I underestimate the work, it's just that it helps the developer as much as the player. Just look at Arma 2 and DayZ for a concrete example of that.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #614 on: May 20, 2014, 07:41:07 pm »

Definitely don't underestimate the work it takes to make a game moddable if it wasn't meant to be that way originally.

Those that own the game get a significant discount for it.

Those that don't get to purchase the entire thing for less than - what was it - $120?

Again the discount is for selling the game again with barely any changes. Also the various expansions (that were standalones anyway) were priced as full releases.
Imagine if X Rebirth was sold for 60$ and several month later the devs releases exacly the same game for exacly the same price... but with mod support... and you like it because they were doing it for the past x releases.
Don't get me wrong they made a fun game but the pricing! The damned pricing!
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 65