Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 65

Author Topic: Distant Worlds (4x RTS)  (Read 128882 times)

jhxmt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Distant Worlds (4x RTS)
« Reply #585 on: January 12, 2014, 07:12:59 am »

I wish there was a way to downgrade spaceports (or is there, and I've just missed it?)

I let myself get a bit too complacent when the AI was suggesting that I retrofit my ships and bases.  Silly person that I am, I thought "yes, upgrade my three military ships, might as well keep at the front of the tech curve", and forgot that the AI will also retrofit spaceports...and not just small-to-small, either.  It turned my small spaceport into a medium one without me realising (my fault), and then at the next retrofit it turned the medium one into a large!

The maintenance costs absolutely crippled my tiny, age of shadows empire.  By the time I realised, it was too late.  I was in the red financially and heading further in that direction.  A wholehearted 'scrap every ship and base that isn't vital' programme ensued, and got me briefly back into positive figures...but there was no way to downgrade my LSP to a SSP.

So I scrapped it.  Cashflow went positive again, but it did mean I had to sit there for a couple of years while my funds recovered enough to be able to afford a new SSP.

Bloody AI.  :P (And bloody me not paying enough attention, too.)
Quote from: beefsupreme
Try slaughtering a ton of animals, meat makes less decisions than animals.

Why Your Ramps Don't Work
How To Breach A Volcano Safely

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: January 12, 2014, 09:46:43 am »

I wish there was a way to downgrade spaceports (or is there, and I've just missed it?)

I let myself get a bit too complacent when the AI was suggesting that I retrofit my ships and bases.  Silly person that I am, I thought "yes, upgrade my three military ships, might as well keep at the front of the tech curve", and forgot that the AI will also retrofit spaceports...and not just small-to-small, either.  It turned my small spaceport into a medium one without me realising (my fault), and then at the next retrofit it turned the medium one into a large!

The maintenance costs absolutely crippled my tiny, age of shadows empire.  By the time I realised, it was too late.  I was in the red financially and heading further in that direction.  A wholehearted 'scrap every ship and base that isn't vital' programme ensued, and got me briefly back into positive figures...but there was no way to downgrade my LSP to a SSP.

So I scrapped it.  Cashflow went positive again, but it did mean I had to sit there for a couple of years while my funds recovered enough to be able to afford a new SSP.

Bloody AI.  :P (And bloody me not paying enough attention, too.)
You can design the LSP to something much smaller and manageable.  Then retrofit it to that I believe.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

jhxmt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: January 12, 2014, 05:57:37 pm »

Select spaceport, right click, and it has 'retrofit to X', where X is the small/medium/large space port.

Yeah, that's what I'd assumed...but for whatever reason, it didn't have that option.  It had 'Retrofit->(latest Large Space Port design)', but didn't have the latest Small Space Port design.  Small Space Ports always gave me the retrofit to... options to MSPs and LSPs, but I don't think MSPs ever gave me the option to retrofit to SSPs, and LSPs don't appear to give me anything other than a newer LSP.

Possibly something screwy going on due to the amount my economy had tanked - possibly it would have cost more to retrofit back down to a SSP than it would have done to retrofit to the latest model LSP, and so the option didn't appear?

Anyway.  Problem solved.  Scrapped it and started with a new one.  :P
Quote from: beefsupreme
Try slaughtering a ton of animals, meat makes less decisions than animals.

Why Your Ramps Don't Work
How To Breach A Volcano Safely

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: January 14, 2014, 12:24:30 pm »

Wow, anybody hear about this?  http://www.spacesector.com/blog/2014/01/distant-worlds-universe-more-modding-and-wrap-up-pack/

4th expansion:  standalone, includes all previous expansions, will have discount for existing customers, and opens up mod capabilities.

I think they'd have a bigger and more active fan base if they opened up the mod functions from the initial release, but I'm glad to see it happening.  Hopefully will breathe some more life into the game and the community.

woosholay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: February 14, 2014, 02:59:26 am »

Damn, this game is fun. Haven't tried classic yet, but i like how in age of shadows you feel weak and small compared to a huge universe filled with pirates, slugs and what have you. Had to start over quite a few times, because my crisis managements skills are still developing, and it's always something new that brings me down. Even though game has quite a learning curve, suggestions and tips help a lot, in 5 hours i moved from fully automated to manual control of almost everything that happens. Microing it all is getting hard thou (at x4 speed), and I'm only starting to colonize worlds, i guess at later stages it'll be impossible to play without some parts of your empire being controlled by AI.

One thing i don't get, is how do you board derelict ships ? I can't find a proper option in that right-click menu of my explorers or military ships, yet every now and then a message pops ut that my explorer found and boarded one of them.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2014, 03:05:01 am by woosholay »

somebody

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: February 14, 2014, 03:06:32 am »

One thing i don't get, is how do you board derelict ships ? I can't find a proper option in that right-click menu of my explorers or military ships, yet every now and the a message pops ut that my explorer found and boarded one of them.
Check for marks on the hull to make sure that the derelict ships aren't damaged, if there aren't any and your explorer doesn't trigger the discovery then select your space ship then right click the derelict ship and click investigate on the menu bar that is open up.

If there are hull marks select a construction ship and send it over to repair it.

Nelia Hawk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: February 14, 2014, 03:34:24 am »

Wow, anybody hear about this?  http://www.spacesector.com/blog/2014/01/distant-worlds-universe-more-modding-and-wrap-up-pack/

4th expansion:  standalone, includes all previous expansions, will have discount for existing customers, and opens up mod capabilities.

I think they'd have a bigger and more active fan base if they opened up the mod functions from the initial release, but I'm glad to see it happening.  Hopefully will breathe some more life into the game and the community.

maybe that version will popup on steam too at some point? (unlikely, but could be, at least this version might have the "highest possibility to popup on steam")
as it is standalone "in one affordable package"... so maybe some 40 bucks release or so, and modding might work with the steam workshop.
and people who bought it before on their web could get the discounted version on their web and then get steam keys for the standalone version.

aristabulus

• Bay Watcher
  • Fnordius Maximus
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: February 14, 2014, 09:20:45 am »

maybe that version will popup on steam too at some point? (unlikely, but could be, at least this version might have the "highest possibility to popup on steam")
as it is standalone "in one affordable package"... so maybe some 40 bucks release or so, and modding might work with the steam workshop.
and people who bought it before on their web could get the discounted version on their web and then get steam keys for the standalone version.

Don't hold your breath.  Matrix and Slitherine took quite a long time to get around to this final all-in-one version, having been quite content to charge a hundred bucks for the most up-to-date version prior to this.  They are also resistant to the deep discounts Steam tends to offer; the sales that happen on Matrix's site are not sweeping, and rarely get past -33%.
If iron is to become steel, it must feel fire! --ancient Dwarven proverb

What is steel compared to the hand that wields it?  --Thulsa Doom

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: February 14, 2014, 10:41:48 am »

I would expect a 60-80 release price.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: February 14, 2014, 12:50:35 pm »

The lowest I've seen for everything was about 70.

woosholay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: February 15, 2014, 07:22:04 am »

I hate how you get spammed every time your explorer gets attacked, yet you dont get a single pop-up or sound when colony ship enters your space. Kiadian assholes snatched 3 planets right in front of me, literally (when it happened for the third time i felt like AI was cheating, no way he could have known about that distant system being safe and that my settler was lagging behind a bit). Now i have to go to war, build a shit ton of troop ships while spreading a couple of fleets to defend my outer colonies/mining stations... and you can't really prepare for this, because troop maintenance is eating up a sizeable chunk of cash in shadows, which you can't really afford early on.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2014, 07:48:58 am by woosholay »

ollobrains

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: March 11, 2014, 06:23:47 pm »

theres been a new patch some small changes made looks ok

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: March 11, 2014, 06:49:01 pm »

Latest patch I see was from December?  There another somewhere?
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: March 14, 2014, 05:15:44 pm »

Is there a way of stopping your starter race from migrating to a certain planet?

Oftentimes, I want to give an independent colony I claimed time to allow the population to grow, so that I can get a larger racial bonus from them, but then I end up with SWARMS of migrant ships sending as many colonists to that place as possible.

I've made a colony not accept any migrants from my own family and other families, but my starter race has kept going there.

Dont leave your colonization on automatic.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

monkey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: March 14, 2014, 05:23:03 pm »

Have you tried setting the pop policy for same family as "Do Not Accept" ??

http://distant-worlds.wikispot.org/Colony_Population_Policies_%28Galactopedia%29

Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 65