Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 65

Author Topic: Distant Worlds (4x RTS)  (Read 128910 times)

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Distant Worlds (4x RTS)
« Reply #510 on: June 11, 2013, 02:33:31 pm »

Yes, I have changed out my cpu a few times and have used the same codes.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #511 on: June 11, 2013, 03:28:33 pm »

Just for curiosity, can I use the product code they give me to install on another machine?

Edit. Well fuck. It's kinda nostalgic installing it this way.
Yep, it doesn't register your machine or anything like these newfangled DRM things which make you out to be a criminal. :P

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: June 13, 2013, 05:53:26 pm »

This game is fucking HARD! Or maybe I'm out of practice in the art of 4x?

Any good advice on how not to suck?

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: June 13, 2013, 06:27:06 pm »

I don't find Shadows to be that hard. I only hate those pirates with capital ships. Fuck them.

My problem is that everything falls apart after a while. I should really pay tribute to the local superpower. That's what the AI does to me so maybe I should do the same. Damn, the AI is better at this than me.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: June 13, 2013, 06:46:25 pm »

yup, also, pay pirates for information about colonies. Ones that are friendly to you are awesome to colonize and get a rapid boost to your economy.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #515 on: June 13, 2013, 08:01:03 pm »

yup, also, pay pirates for information about colonies. Ones that are friendly to you are awesome to colonize and get a rapid boost to your economy.
And unfriendly colonies are easy to take over by force. The reputation hit doesn't last long. Especially tasty if you're one of the races who likes to take slaves.

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: June 13, 2013, 09:07:08 pm »

Is it economically feasible to add fighter bays to mining bases rather than arming them with weapons?

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: June 13, 2013, 10:03:09 pm »

Fighter wont last long... most of the time a small PD slavo will kill one and it fire quite fast, doesnt worth the size factor if you want my point on view. As for base defense i found that tractor beam + railgun acn be KILLER, they grab the enemy ship, pull it to them and the railgun at point blank never miss and bypass shield, good for quickly disabling an enemy ship.

I have a size 300 with good amount of shield and only railgun, i can take out any pirate base if i have 2 of them and with 4, most of the time i dont have time to loose a destroyer.
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: June 14, 2013, 12:30:27 pm »

Fighter wont last long... most of the time a small PD slavo will kill one and it fire quite fast, doesnt worth the size factor if you want my point on view. As for base defense i found that tractor beam + railgun acn be KILLER, they grab the enemy ship, pull it to them and the railgun at point blank never miss and bypass shield, good for quickly disabling an enemy ship.

I have a size 300 with good amount of shield and only railgun, i can take out any pirate base if i have 2 of them and with 4, most of the time i dont have time to loose a destroyer.
It has been finally confirmed that armor is broken in Shadows.  So yea... Railguns may not do as well in the next patch, since armor is supposed to effectively be the counter to railguns.

For now though, Railguns are Kings, at least early/mid game.

And yes, you can take down Capital Ships very very easily with low tech railgun weapons right now...  If you are willing to take losses.

EDIT: Apparently the update is up now.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 06:06:01 pm by Zangi »
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...

jhxmt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: October 01, 2013, 01:04:52 pm »

(Slight necro, but would prefer to keep this thread alive rather than starting a new one!)

So it's been a long while since I booted up DW, and this is the first time I've been playing as an empire (as opposed to playing as pirates) in the Age of Shadows.  I'm quite liking the slower-paced start, with me just crawling around my home system at sub-lightspeed velocities.  Since I've whacked research costs up to maximum, it's a nice little exploration-and-industrialisation voyage at the moment.   :)

Having said that, I'm petrified that I'm falling behind whatever invisible curve the other empires will be following, so: any tips for starting out as a pre-warp empire in the Age of Shadows, so that I don't completely shoot myself in the foot for later?
Quote from: beefsupreme
Try slaughtering a ton of animals, meat makes less decisions than animals.

Why Your Ramps Don't Work
How To Breach A Volcano Safely

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: October 31, 2013, 07:17:11 am »

Looks like there might be something interesting coming up.

If you go to the matrix games beta signup website there is an entry for Distant Worlds Universe.

So far I haven't been able to find any information about it.

Drakale

• Bay Watcher
  • I will get my revenge~
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: October 31, 2013, 08:31:37 am »

Nice find, here is a forum post about it.

Seem like the want to open up modding a bit more. I'm really hoping they will release some sort of gold version with all expansions at some point too.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: October 31, 2013, 09:56:52 am »

Ah... nice a modding update.  I still would never ever be able to make proper portraits nor the soldier icons for my half finished pony mod.

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: October 31, 2013, 08:19:18 pm »

What's the big difference between Age of Shadow and classic?  I just started my first game in the former - all that really seems like it would differ by is that you blow a half an hour or so paying off some pirates before you get warp tech and are able to bugger off to another system.  Income doesn't seem to be much of a problem, since the game's auto-designating the best places to mine, apparently, and my cashflow went nice and positive once I got my starbase, explorers and constructors up.

I was expecting having to struggle into a crappy bussard ramjet no-FTL colonyship or something, and have to launch that while whatever pirates started to swarm my home system, boarding and stealing my ships and preying on my miners every now and then despite paying them off, or something, to get me nice and mad for when I inevitably got a big enough bunch of spaceplanes to purge them from existence.  Aside from just one first visit, they've been pretty chill, though.  Also offering to sell me a colony location, but they wanted more than I had total.

I set their distance to 'average' instead of really close though... I suppose that might be it.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: November 01, 2013, 11:01:10 am »

Paying em off is the best strategy.  And yea... shadow age does not amount to much, considering that all you are really doing is waiting for like 3-4 research things to get done before you are spaceworthy.  It could have been expanded a bit more.
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 65