Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 65

Author Topic: Distant Worlds (4x RTS)  (Read 128944 times)

snelg

• Bay Watcher
  • Hoary Marmot Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
Re: Distant Worlds (4x RTS)
« Reply #465 on: May 23, 2013, 06:49:20 am »

Thanks Anvilfolk, it was an interesting read.
When there's no more room in the fortress, the cats will walk the earth.
Cancels writing: Interrupted by Hoary Marmot.

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • You can't spell slaughter without laughter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: May 23, 2013, 06:53:12 am »

Wait the shadow expansion is out today ? Squeeee
He must be running 3.5 abacuses of RAM

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #467 on: May 23, 2013, 06:55:43 am »

Wait the shadow expansion is out today ? Squeeee
Should be out 'before noon' US Eastern time

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: May 23, 2013, 09:49:38 am »

Going to sell DW+Expansions in a bundle once it comes out, 40% discount.  (Wait for the discount to get uploaded.)
Pricing for DW: Shadows alone is $19.99.

UPDATE:
Details on Bundle/Discount with release of DW: Shadows.
This is probably as cheap as it gets, considering matrixgames' historical pricing policy.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2013, 10:48:50 am by Zangi »
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: May 23, 2013, 11:45:19 am »

RockPaperShotgun's done some nice coverage on why MatrixGames doesn't do that, if you're interested. There's actually some pretty interesting tidbits.
Link?

It's pretty hard to find, so I didn't get all of it, but if you look at the Flare Paths starting with this one you should get the gist of it. Plus, follow Tim Stone's links and so forth.
So basically from what I got, they completely ignore how other niche developers benefit from steam and its sales, instead simply keeping saying that it won't benefit them as if that would make it true? I can't say if they are just elitist jerks who don't want to be part of the "mainstream" or actually genuinely incompetent.

And yeah, I do have a pretty negative opinion of their policies...
"Why? We're the Good Guys, aren't we?"
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.

Brons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: May 23, 2013, 11:49:15 am »

$70 for a game that's on sale. Didn't think that was possible.

TheDecline

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: May 23, 2013, 12:05:56 pm »

I personally dont even feel its worth half that price, the game for me just felt very awkward to play.
And so we go on with our lives
we know the turth, but prefer lies
lies are simple....simple is bliss

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: May 23, 2013, 12:52:21 pm »

$70 for a game that's on sale. Didn't think that was possible.
Make me think of unreal world when it started with its *license* price.... 50+$ for a game you dont even know if it will be abandoned? well....

And now here... 69$ on a currently *on sale* price from an indie dev o.O. Sure lots of expansion and they did not go toward DLC route but more the traditional expansion pack. I guess we can give them credit for staying expansion old school.
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: May 23, 2013, 12:57:19 pm »

Hmmm i don't mind spending lots of money on a good game and its expansion. I personally think its worth it for me its a very big time sink.

just got the shadows expansion and plan on playing a pirate looking forward to it

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: May 23, 2013, 01:15:40 pm »

Meh, all I can say is that it is a matter of quantity sold versus profit per unit.  As in, Matrix Games and the developers under them figure that they do not sell enough when their games are much cheaper/on discount.

Seems to work for em?  Admittedly though, they seem pretty poor on the marketing front, no word about it on game review sites(Just checked Kotaku/Destructoid/RockPaperShotgun)...  But, I don't frequent facebook/twitter or whatever else have you. 

Heck, I'm gonna buy Shadows and play it once I get home.  (DW snagged me around when the original came out I think or maybe the Shakturi/2nd expansion.)

And yea, to Distant Worlds credit, the expansions are meaningful.  I don't know about the rest of MatrixGames' games.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: May 23, 2013, 01:19:11 pm »

ohhh i do like pirate play its very different.

I just wish this game was damn multiplayer now !

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: May 23, 2013, 01:22:31 pm »

A pirates life for me.

Meh...  I want to go home already.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: May 23, 2013, 02:39:13 pm »

While on the player end these expansion doesnt seem to worth the money, we have to place ourself on the devloper side, their AI are quite advance and all these option and fine tunig is NEVER before seen. Unit customisation, mission/quest system, diplomacy and well basicly everything about that RTS is pushed to the DF or the RTS side in some ways dont you think? Each xpansion must have needed lot of behind the scene work.

Personaly, i dont mind the price tag of that particular game even tho my previous post might seem otherwise, i just found it funny to quote and expand a bit on the subject and also my public expression skills are quite horrible sometime.

And... welll.... pirate? I need somebody to tell me ONE GAME, wich would have a pirate system that deep, just one. To some extend im thinking the XUniverse games with mods bla bla but thats not as deep as here, close but not quite at the same time.
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: May 27, 2013, 09:58:29 pm »

Well, the expansion could still use some work from the looks of it...

So, I took the time out of my binge to work on my mod.  Honestly, I've never gotten it to work before, due to 2 things.  The portrait pics and biases.txt...  With great tenacity, I have finally got the mod to load up without errors.

It is a MLP mod/add-on.

Troop Images are basically randomly copied over with no correlation to anything.  Placeholders.
The portrait pics of all the races I added are of the Great and Powerful Trixie.  Obviously placeholder.
And finally I gotta dig up the mod guide again and do the fine-tune adjustments to differentiate the races I added, since the Policies were changed and non-pony races need more work on em.

I am ecstatic right now... but, should have already been asleep 3 hours ago cause I gotta get up in the middle of the night.  Blargh

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: May 27, 2013, 11:18:42 pm »

A pirates life for me.

Meh...  I want to go home already.
Damn you crotch-ninja we meet again
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 65