Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 65

Author Topic: Distant Worlds (4x RTS)  (Read 128957 times)

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Distant Worlds (4x RTS)
« Reply #450 on: January 23, 2013, 05:00:29 pm »

You can turn off auto-upgrade/design for specific ship types now... instead of having the whole thing turned off or not.  I think that may be a new Legends addition.  You can change that in the empire policy AND in the design list I believe.

but I do want the designs to be upgraded, I just want the components I designed to be upgraded not the entire thing redesigned. 

Maybe I was spoiled by Space Empires where I could just click a button and have all my level 1 reactors and shields replaced with level 3 reactors and level 2 shields, or whatever the latest tech upgrades happened to be, but I thought this should be a pretty common feature of spaceship designey games.

Here is the exact release notes that I thought fixed the problem, but I cant figure out how it works:

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3168715 Legends update 1.7.0.16:
The update improves player and AI ship design, including improvements to the design screen itself. Players will now be able to save optimized design templates for any faction and also have the ability to set detailed design policies for their empires.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: January 23, 2013, 08:32:09 pm »

Ah, you mean like changing from Maxos Blasters to some other better laser right?  Generally, you still have to account for power usage and size discrepancy or whatever.

Can't help you there... I only play with super slow research, so only have to update every now and then instead of constantly or whatever.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

TripJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: May 18, 2013, 11:22:14 am »

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: May 18, 2013, 01:53:39 pm »

I've been waiting for this expansion for the last month or sosince it was announced. 

*Le sigh*  I just got into the 'I'm hyped for it' feel sometime last month, that was before the guesstimate release was pushed to this month.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2013, 01:57:13 pm by Zangi »
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Brons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: May 18, 2013, 05:09:41 pm »

I like how the devs are unable to tell me why this expansion is awesome in a clear and easy to find way.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: May 18, 2013, 06:20:20 pm »

I love how you can play a pirate faction in that expansion :D , i just saw that and i might buy it just for it hahahaha.
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: May 18, 2013, 06:24:28 pm »

I like how the devs are unable to tell me why this expansion is awesome in a clear and easy to find way.

http://www.matrixgames.com/products/466/details/Distant.Worlds-.Shadows 

Seems pretty clear to me. It starts before hyperspace travel was discovered. Can also play as a pirate faction. Adds options like ship boarding and general pirating. Also expands ground combat greatly with new tech trees. Better AI. Better graphics and improved performance on large 1,000 star system sized games. etc.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

snelg

• Bay Watcher
  • Hoary Marmot Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: May 19, 2013, 05:23:40 am »

Someone brought up custom ship design a little earlier, and I have always had problems with this.  There was supposed to be a patch a while back that made this friendlier, but every time I make a custom design the computer dicks it up when I try to upgrade it.  Instead of making an upgraded version of my custom design, the AI obsoletes my custom design and makes an upgrade of its standard template.
I always play on very very slow tech rate so the moments when you have to upgrade things are few and far between. Also, I haven't played the game for quite a while but I'm pretty sure it's possible to have the ai just upgrade the components on a design (but it won't add new ones that you might have researched).
When there's no more room in the fortress, the cats will walk the earth.
Cancels writing: Interrupted by Hoary Marmot.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #458 on: May 19, 2013, 09:10:28 am »

You can indeed have the AI upgrade or not upgrade design types however you wish by changing the empire policy.

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: May 19, 2013, 09:42:18 am »

I really wish this game was on steam and wasn't so expensive.  I got the original, but the expansions are just as costly as the full game!
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: May 19, 2013, 10:40:46 am »

I really wish this game was on steam and wasn't so expensive.  I got the original, but the expansions are just as costly as the full game!
Yeah. If this was on a reasonable digital distribution system, it'd be a instant buy the moment it went into a sale.
"Why? We're the Good Guys, aren't we?"
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #461 on: May 19, 2013, 02:29:38 pm »

RockPaperShotgun's done some nice coverage on why MatrixGames doesn't do that, if you're interested. There's actually some pretty interesting tidbits.

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: May 22, 2013, 06:54:21 pm »

RockPaperShotgun's done some nice coverage on why MatrixGames doesn't do that, if you're interested. There's actually some pretty interesting tidbits.
Link?
"Why? We're the Good Guys, aren't we?"
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #463 on: May 22, 2013, 06:55:20 pm »

So apparently the new Shadows expansion will be out Thursday. I am excite.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #464 on: May 23, 2013, 05:15:52 am »

Link?

It's pretty hard to find, so I didn't get all of it, but if you look at the Flare Paths starting with this one you should get the gist of it. Plus, follow Tim Stone's links and so forth.
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 65