Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 65

Author Topic: Distant Worlds (4x RTS)  (Read 128959 times)

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Distant Worlds (4x RTS)
« Reply #435 on: December 28, 2012, 09:15:30 am »

add troop transports to your fleet, order it to load troops, send that fleet to attack enemy planet
Only a simple mind can be certain.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: December 28, 2012, 12:42:36 pm »

Don't worry about bombardment, you have to use the ctrl function and manually select that to bombard it.

Best you can do is try to make sure you land more troops then there are enemies on that planet, accounting for each units 'power' and the defensive population.   Oh yea, forgot... the next expansion is expanding on ground combat too I heard...

Would it make sense to build some kind of trade space stations near far away friendly empires? I don't know enough of freighter behavior to say if that'd do anything.
I'd figure best you can do is a network of Caslon/Hydrogen gas mining stations, depending on tech.  Civilian ships still need gas, the same as military ships do.  The refueling ships pay for that gas and depending on cargo size... random mining ships and freighters may drop off the cargo at those gas mining stations, for some other freighter to pick up, like a ferry system.
Mind you, this is all from observation, I only have a rudimentary understanding of the trade thing from observation.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2012, 12:47:05 pm by Zangi »
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

snelg

• Bay Watcher
  • Hoary Marmot Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: December 29, 2012, 12:14:31 pm »

The Distant Worlds extended mod looks to be coming along nicely, buncha new races and what-not.
I've played around with it a bit the last week too. I really like the additions they made with the new races. They fit in very neatly with the old ones and the game even feels a bit more balanced. I guess the bad part is that the game gets even slower with all of them at the same time. Guess I'll try a smaller map next time...  :P
When there's no more room in the fortress, the cats will walk the earth.
Cancels writing: Interrupted by Hoary Marmot.

pilgrimboy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: January 12, 2013, 06:02:23 pm »

Okay, I try to use the AI on the military, but I feel like I'm missing something. I have totally obliterated an alien race, yet my military doesn't invade the planets. They will just do one or two and want me to end the war. I want to wipe them off the map. I have to manually do it. Is there some setting for the AI that I'm missing?
Regular writer at a totally non-related Christian blog, Pulling Weeds Out Of Potholes

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: January 12, 2013, 06:08:15 pm »

Are you SURE you have troop transports? A bunch of them.

Also, I don't think they are eager to invade the final planet of a race due to it making you look like a monster to all other races. It's best to just hold them at one planet and let them flounder.

pilgrimboy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: January 13, 2013, 07:57:30 am »

I have thirty 30 carriers and 10 transports. They have around seven planets left.
Regular writer at a totally non-related Christian blog, Pulling Weeds Out Of Potholes

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: January 13, 2013, 08:27:32 am »

Okay, I try to use the AI on the military, but I feel like I'm missing something. I have totally obliterated an alien race, yet my military doesn't invade the planets. They will just do one or two and want me to end the war. I want to wipe them off the map. I have to manually do it. Is there some setting for the AI that I'm missing?
Make sure your automated fleet(s) with the troop carriers have enough ground troops to win against enemy defenders.  It may also be that there are defending ships/bases in the system and your troop carrier fleet(s) thinks it doesn't have enough power to take it.

There is an 'overkill/caution' setting for determining when the AI will attack I believe.  Try setting that overkill/caution setting lower.  Default is 2x I think? 
It might increase number of invasions, but you have a higher chance of losing those battles if the enemy manages to bring in reinforcements.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: January 13, 2013, 08:56:57 am »

10 troop transports is not enough if you have more than one major fleet. Those get spread out amongst each of the fleets so you end up having like 2 -4 transports per fleet which just isn't enough to invade with. An established enemy planet will need 6-18(extreme cases) transports. The carriers are really just floating fighter and bomber bays.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: January 13, 2013, 09:19:02 am »

Yep, I had one fleet with 24 and a second with 26 and I just barely got it done.

pilgrimboy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: January 13, 2013, 01:52:26 pm »

That was mistake. I thought carriers were also troop transports. Thanks, Hemmingjay.

Viken

• Bay Watcher
  • "Fight, or Die. Easy."
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: January 13, 2013, 02:40:16 pm »

You can always design your own ship that is both Career AND troop transport, although you'd probably have to classify it one or the other.
"It takes being a nerd to be a dorf, and I'm more than happy to compensate."

somebody

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: January 23, 2013, 01:54:23 pm »

10-day bump to ask one question:

What are the RotS victory conditions?
Besides the usual it depends on the race.

somebody

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: January 23, 2013, 01:57:49 pm »

Upon double-checking, I was wrong they added that in Legends, I kinda just lump all the expansions into one game now, sorry.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: January 23, 2013, 02:57:02 pm »

I'm not positive, but I'm pretty sure that the RoTS added the specific plot elements about the return of a particular galactic evil, as referenced in the title of said expansion.  So the presence of plot related objects in the galaxy, guardian machine race, arrival of various colonists and refugees, and the arrival and rise of the evil race its self are all part of that campaign arc.

It's been a while since I fired it up, but I think there are both "light side" and "dark side" style victory conditions depending on how you play it.  Someone else can probably correct this though, I've never actually played through to the end of a RotS campaign.

Someone brought up custom ship design a little earlier, and I have always had problems with this.  There was supposed to be a patch a while back that made this friendlier, but every time I make a custom design the computer dicks it up when I try to upgrade it.  Instead of making an upgraded version of my custom design, the AI obsoletes my custom design and makes an upgrade of its standard template.

Generally, this is when I get pissed off and shelf the game for 6 months or so.  I know there is a workaround, does anyone know how to do it?

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: January 23, 2013, 03:51:59 pm »

Someone brought up custom ship design a little earlier, and I have always had problems with this.  There was supposed to be a patch a while back that made this friendlier, but every time I make a custom design the computer dicks it up when I try to upgrade it.  Instead of making an upgraded version of my custom design, the AI obsoletes my custom design and makes an upgrade of its standard template.

Generally, this is when I get pissed off and shelf the game for 6 months or so.  I know there is a workaround, does anyone know how to do it?
You can turn off auto-upgrade/design for specific ship types now... instead of having the whole thing turned off or not.  I think that may be a new Legends addition.  You can change that in the empire policy AND in the design list I believe.
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 65