Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 65

Author Topic: Distant Worlds (4x RTS)  (Read 128915 times)

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Distant Worlds (4x RTS)
« Reply #360 on: July 07, 2011, 10:08:25 pm »

sounds like  a feature.  some planets are bound to be inhospitable.  I've never seen that myself, but I wish I had.  Sounds cool.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: July 08, 2011, 11:17:53 am »

Hey, how do you pull out of an insane money decline.  I've not gone and build a ton of defensive bases, ships or anything, my population is growing, I'm mining the resources that are in demand, but my profits are falling every second.  What the heck is going on?  It just went from +10000 to -21000 in a few months
Nom nom nom

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: July 08, 2011, 02:38:19 pm »

You've lost a source of revenue somewhere... or gained a few expenses somewhere.

Do you have automated construction on?
Did you recently change governments?  Manually or by covert ops...
Did you lose a few planets?  Defection or conquest?
Did some of your peasants decide to not pay taxes?
Did you drop trade relations with some of your neighbors? 
Who are your typical big trade partners? 
Are they embroiled in war?  Fighting could disrupt trade. 
Is there a +200 firepower pirate base sitting all pretty somewhere near your trade partner or in the middle of you and them?
Are you or your trade partner under Trade Sanctions/Blockade?
Do you have automated taxes on?  Loss of luxury supplies could probably have dropped development/culture, which in turn decreased happiness, which taxes auto-adjusted for.
Did you colonize 1%-49% colonies?  They tend to be more of a drain on your income as they grow, unless you can push development/culture above 50%.

You could retire/scrap non-essential mines to begin with.  Places with low % or whatever you don't need.
And drop your large military force to something more manageable, at least in peace time.  Its surprising how fast you can push out military ships once you have a few starports and the reserves of material required to build them.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: July 08, 2011, 04:25:48 pm »

I found the problem, one of my starports got set to automatic somehow (I have expert mode turned on so nothing is supposed to be auto, but the game seems to enjoy ignoring that.) and has pumped out 380 freighters.   I don't even need them they are all just sitting there eating up resources, and I can't find how to stop it or destroy the ones it does produce.
Nom nom nom

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: July 08, 2011, 07:08:58 pm »

I don't see how the freighters would take out of the state budget... unless the private sector is losing oodles of money.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #365 on: July 08, 2011, 07:40:40 pm »

I found the problem, one of my starports got set to automatic somehow (I have expert mode turned on so nothing is supposed to be auto, but the game seems to enjoy ignoring that.) and has pumped out 380 freighters.   I don't even need them they are all just sitting there eating up resources, and I can't find how to stop it or destroy the ones it does produce.
Freighters are civilian ships. Civilian construction has always been automated. You never have control of it.

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #366 on: July 08, 2011, 08:13:06 pm »

and civilian ships are not figured into your economy. must be something else.
I got nothing

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: July 08, 2011, 08:45:10 pm »

then why under economies does it give an upkeep cost?
Nom nom nom

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #368 on: July 08, 2011, 10:42:50 pm »

then why under economies does it give an upkeep cost?
Your economy has two sides. One is the private sector and the other is the state. You have no control over the private sector at all. They pay you to build ships for them, they buy fuel from you and you get taxes, but that is about it.

All money earned by the private sector goes to maintaining their ships. You never have to pay a dime for them.

snelg

• Bay Watcher
  • Hoary Marmot Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: November 22, 2011, 04:21:59 am »

Looks like Distant worlds - Legends (new expansion) will be out soon.  :)
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/fb.asp?m=2954732

I never really got into the game initially, and missed the first expansion until quite recently and apparently there's a new one on the way any time now. Looks like a lot of improvements have been done so I'm hoping it's not as quirky as the first one. The new influence borders, I think looks the most interesting.

http://youtu.be/GAaiwwpZ-WY - Trailer/Gameplay video on youtube

Quote from: Official feature list
  • New character system, including Leaders, Admirals, Generals, Ambassadors, Governors, Agents and Scientists, all with defined skills and traits and the opportunity to advance and improve
  • New modelling of borders and spheres of influence
  • New expanded gameplay with race-specific events and victory conditions, as well as a new hidden faction!
  • Expanded technology tree, including dedicated carriers, cutting lasers, rail guns, new planetary facilities and wonders
  • Improved AI and an updated Diplomacy system with refuelling and mining rights as well as immigration policies
  • Improved fleet management and automation, including fleet postures
  • Improved modding support, including full race and character modding
  • Please note: Distant Worlds Legends REQUIRES ownership of the original full Distant Worlds game.
When there's no more room in the fortress, the cats will walk the earth.
Cancels writing: Interrupted by Hoary Marmot.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #370 on: November 22, 2011, 08:23:07 am »

Been waiting for this one. It looks pretty nice.

snelg

• Bay Watcher
  • Hoary Marmot Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: November 23, 2011, 03:09:43 am »

Some developer notes to read while we wait. It should be any time now, right?  :D
http://www.wargamer.com/article/3119/developer-feature-distant-worlds-legends-developer-notes
When there's no more room in the fortress, the cats will walk the earth.
Cancels writing: Interrupted by Hoary Marmot.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #372 on: November 23, 2011, 11:33:05 am »

Some developer notes to read while we wait. It should be any time now, right?  :D
http://www.wargamer.com/article/3119/developer-feature-distant-worlds-legends-developer-notes
Did anyone else read this stuff about the new AI and consider how it could be used to offer suggestions on real-world fleet deployments?

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: November 23, 2011, 12:58:52 pm »

Did anyone else read this stuff about the new AI and consider how it could be used to offer suggestions on real-world fleet deployments?

Take it to the Navy's real world problem solving MMO(?) at http://portal.mmowgli.nps.edu/ where they are looking for fleet movement solutions as well as many other problems.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #374 on: December 01, 2011, 11:13:36 am »

Nobody has commented on the new expansion yet? Bay12 I am dissapoint
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 65