Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 65

Author Topic: Distant Worlds (4x RTS)  (Read 128902 times)

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
Re: Distant Worlds (4x RTS)
« Reply #330 on: December 26, 2010, 12:42:38 am »

My main complaint is you can colonize a world with a mining station in orbit, and the station is just destroyed in the process.

I had a desert world with korabban spice one system over from my homeworld in one game, but it was below 50 quality and thus wouldn't really be useful as a colony - so I made a big custom station there with massive luxury mining capability (way more than a colony could do) and lots of cargo bays and docking ports and a huge arsenal of weapons surpassing even my large space ports. I planned to use it to supply my entire empire and those of my allies with korabban spice. It was working great, shipments of the stuff were going direct to the homeworld and I was just overflowing with it and all my colonies were reaching 130 development.

Next thing I know the system is colonized. I go there and my allies the Securans (we have a mutual defense agreement) have colonized the planet. A completely unarmed colony ship flew in and took over a planet that was supposedly guarded by a heavily armed station, and in the process destroyed the station.

I had to declare war on my allies to get my planet back, and in the process got a bad reputation and ruined my relations with my best trading partner. Plus now that its a colony instead of the giant station im actually getting less spice, and you can't add more mining capability to a colony.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2010, 12:44:40 am by Paul »
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Utter Insanitiy]
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #331 on: December 26, 2010, 01:29:35 am »

you can abandon a colony can't you? But yes the game lacks a command to define "no entry" zones. That'd be a good suggestion actually.
I really want that one as a "when". I want "grubs", and "virgin woman" to turn into a dragon. and monkey children to suddenly sprout wings. And I want the Dwarven Mutant Academy to only gain their powers upon reaching puberty. I also have a whole host of odd creatures that only make sense if I divide them into children and adults.

Also, tadpoles.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #332 on: December 26, 2010, 09:51:52 am »

Can you? I've never tried abandoning. Regardless, if I did they would just colonize it again.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #333 on: December 27, 2010, 07:22:40 pm »

Shrugging Khan just came off a mute a few days ago, and the avatar and signature and five moderator reports today seem to suggest nothing but trouble in the future.  I've banned the account.

edit: I've rebooted the thread from where he came in as well, since it is a rather long thread and doesn't deserve to be screwed up.  I assuredly deleted some meaningful contributions in the process, but it was difficult to avoid.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2010, 07:27:04 pm by Toady One »
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #334 on: December 27, 2010, 08:33:10 pm »

Thanks Toady, I am a fan of this game and it deserves a healthy thread on this forum.
I got nothing

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: December 27, 2010, 09:29:43 pm »

Thanks! Now let's get back to honest and healthy discussion.

Any ideas for the next expansion?
Only a simple mind can be certain.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #336 on: December 27, 2010, 09:30:55 pm »

I'd really like to see the trade and diplomatic systems expanded, including more empire policies and such.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: December 27, 2010, 09:40:55 pm »

Mac compatibility wouldn't be to bad.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #338 on: December 28, 2010, 09:28:44 am »

Just an FYI, there is a beta patch up for the expansion which apparently fixes the transport issue. I've been playing with it and my freighters actually fill their holds rather than taking 100 or 200 units.

Spoiler: Example (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 28, 2010, 09:39:28 am by forsaken1111 »

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: December 28, 2010, 12:30:08 pm »

I just found this thread, and I really want to demo this game.  Since by the look of it you can't just buy the expansion, you also have to buy the original, that's quite a bit of money to drop, and I can't find a demo anywhere. 
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: December 28, 2010, 12:36:46 pm »

I just found this thread, and I really want to demo this game.  Since by the look of it you can't just buy the expansion, you also have to buy the original, that's quite a bit of money to drop, and I can't find a demo anywhere.
Isn't that how things usually work? Standalone expansions aren't all that common. And yea, no demo  :-\.

I recently got DW and I've fired up my first game. It was cool watching the AI grow my empire at first, occasionally dropping in to direct a cap ship I found off to a pirate base or queue a mining station, but after a few hours it's grown kinda slow and boring. Am I doing it right? Should the game pick up at some point?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #341 on: December 28, 2010, 12:40:24 pm »

Isn't that how things usually work? Standalone expansions aren't all that common. And yea, no demo  :-\.

I recently got DW and I've fired up my first game. It was cool watching the AI grow my empire at first, occasionally dropping in to direct a cap ship I found off to a pirate base or queue a mining station, but after a few hours it's grown kinda slow and boring. Am I doing it right? Should the game pick up at some point?
If you aren't having fun doing that, then try taking control of more aspects of the empire rather than watching the automation play. The beauty of the game is you can get as involved as you want, and leave the rest to the AI.

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: December 28, 2010, 12:45:53 pm »

Yeah, I wasn't talking about a standalone, I was more thinking a package deal.  47 dollars for game + expansion seems a little steep to me.
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #343 on: December 28, 2010, 12:50:54 pm »

The expansion just came out, give it time and they may do a bundle.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: December 28, 2010, 01:48:02 pm »

My favorite way to play the game is to be the Director of Intelligence for my empire. I turn everything other than recruiting and controlling spy missions on auto. It requires some imagination, but once your empire starts to grow the pace picks up and your actions have impact. I can only assume more diplomacy and espionage features will be added later, based on their forums.
Only a simple mind can be certain.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 65