Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 65

Author Topic: Distant Worlds (4x RTS)  (Read 128884 times)

Brons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Distant Worlds (4x RTS)
« Reply #315 on: December 23, 2010, 07:04:33 am »

In that case I guess I'll try to repair it but destroy it if the other empire gets close to it.

On the other hand, the planet destroyer is extremely overpowered, right? War for it might be worth it in that case. Difficult. Considering that I'm militarily the strongest atm I guess it's better to deny it to the enemy than take a chance on it.

laclongquan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: December 23, 2010, 07:09:18 am »

Missile is used because it's the stripped down miniature design of spaceship.  Its advantage over direct energy system always is range, accuracy, and payload. Since the games never assign mass or space to missiles, obviously it's overpowered.

Autarch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: December 23, 2010, 07:26:19 am »

In that case I guess I'll try to repair it but destroy it if the other empire gets close to it.

On the other hand, the planet destroyer is extremely overpowered, right? War for it might be worth it in that case. Difficult. Considering that I'm militarily the strongest atm I guess it's better to deny it to the enemy than take a chance on it.

The planet destroyer is hilariously fun.

Get it and watch it tear through entire fleets like they're wet tissue paper.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #318 on: December 23, 2010, 02:59:38 pm »

I've yet to get a planet destroyer. I always have other construction ships coming by before im done and starting repairs too, then they wind up getting it even though I started repairs a year before them and have a fleet of ships sitting beside it. This happened twice so far.

One time I even declared war on 3 empires because they were actively sending construction ship after construction ship after it, and yet I still lost it to a totally different neighbor who showed up last second with a construction ship while I was busy fighting off the others.

I'm not sure why my ships never claim it once its done, the AI always seems to nab it faster.

The last few times I found the planet destroyer I just destroyed it.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Utter Insanitiy]
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #319 on: December 23, 2010, 10:16:25 pm »

I'm also having the distribution collapse problem. Everyone's running out of fuel, my ships barely can refuel themselves at planets and underloaded cargo ships... Hope a patch comes out soon.

Actually it just came out. Yipee.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2010, 10:22:05 pm by Djohaal »
I really want that one as a "when". I want "grubs", and "virgin woman" to turn into a dragon. and monkey children to suddenly sprout wings. And I want the Dwarven Mutant Academy to only gain their powers upon reaching puberty. I also have a whole host of odd creatures that only make sense if I divide them into children and adults.

Also, tadpoles.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #320 on: December 24, 2010, 12:37:32 am »

Wow, I haven't played it yet but reading the notes they addressed pretty much every problem I've had with the game. Properly edit planets in edit mode (quality, resources, etc), prevents other empire military ships refueling in my stations, fixed the resource distribution (hopefully, I'll have to play to see if that works :D), a button to auto upgrade all fighters, and even a separator for currency so I can quickly see the number without counting zeros.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #321 on: December 24, 2010, 06:01:44 am »

Wow, I haven't played it yet but reading the notes they addressed pretty much every problem I've had with the game. Properly edit planets in edit mode (quality, resources, etc), prevents other empire military ships refueling in my stations, fixed the resource distribution (hopefully, I'll have to play to see if that works :D), a button to auto upgrade all fighters, and even a separator for currency so I can quickly see the number without counting zeros.
This is why I love those guys. They love their game, and they work very hard to get it patched. I can't imagine the work that went into getting that to us before xmas.

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #322 on: December 24, 2010, 08:55:46 pm »

Yeah game behaves quite nicely with the update. I don't seem to be having those freaky undersupply issues anymore.

On unrelated news the game's wreckage generator still is a bit silly...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

(those diagonal lines on the upper left part of the cluster are the planet destroyer)

Looking for a nearby clonizable planet to set up as an operational hook for reclaiming this motherlode.
I really want that one as a "when". I want "grubs", and "virgin woman" to turn into a dragon. and monkey children to suddenly sprout wings. And I want the Dwarven Mutant Academy to only gain their powers upon reaching puberty. I also have a whole host of odd creatures that only make sense if I divide them into children and adults.

Also, tadpoles.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #323 on: December 25, 2010, 07:45:41 am »

What is silly about it? The planet destroyer is only partially constructed, and as you build it the model slowly grows to the full massive size.

Journier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: December 25, 2010, 01:00:40 pm »

What is silly about it? The planet destroyer is only partially constructed, and as you build it the model slowly grows to the full massive size.

the idea that you can construct something the size of a  moon from a few little fragments is silly.
Aurora 4x Steam group -http://steamcommunity.com/gid/103582791430952164

Aurora 4x Succession game - http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=51366.0

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #325 on: December 25, 2010, 02:26:20 pm »

I mean the fact the game clustered both two starship graveyards AND the planet destroyer on a single system.

Also, tadpoles.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #326 on: December 25, 2010, 02:28:39 pm »

the idea that you can construct something the size of a  moon from a few little fragments is silly.
Presumably the construction information and plans are available there as well, else how could we repair/reconstruct ANY abandoned ships with superior tech?

I mean the fact the game clustered both two starship graveyards AND the planet destroyer on a single system.
Ahh yeah that is funny, yet pretty awesome. Important system!

Journier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: December 25, 2010, 03:02:30 pm »

Presumably the construction information and plans are available there as well, else how could we repair/reconstruct ANY abandoned ships with superior tech?

I dont know, how did the russians build B-29 bomber clones from damaged planes left behind after bombing Japan, and making emergency landing in russia? They didnt have the plans or anything ^_^

Also a majority of the other ships generally are "mostly" there just seem to need patch work atliest thats what i like to think.
however the planet destroyer is like 5 lines of metal on the map that you miraculously begin constructing as soon as you find it no matter your tech level.

Ahh yeah that is funny, yet pretty awesome. Important system!
[/quote]
« Last Edit: December 25, 2010, 03:09:39 pm by Journier »
Aurora 4x Steam group -http://steamcommunity.com/gid/103582791430952164

Aurora 4x Succession game - http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=51366.0

Gantolandon

• Bay Watcher
  • He has a fertile imagination.
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: December 25, 2010, 06:29:44 pm »

The only thing I don't like in this game, at least when comes to AI, is fleet refueling. Not that it's really long and inefficient, but because your ships tend to prioritize getting some fuel even before defending themselves. I have lost two fleets this way, when half of the ships waited in the queue to planetary dock.

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #329 on: December 26, 2010, 12:17:53 am »

If ships have no fuel weapons get turned off and shields stop regenning.
What bothers me is the fact the game has fuzzy frontiers. Securans always are entering my uncolonizing systems and colonizing them instead of me >:(

Also, tadpoles.
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 65