Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 65

Author Topic: Distant Worlds (4x RTS)  (Read 128763 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: Distant Worlds (4x RTS)
« Reply #150 on: March 31, 2010, 01:28:53 am »

I mean, the game is made by a team, Aurora is made by one person, don't you think DW should be at least a bit more stable and not have such a major bug?

A. Not everyone has this out of memory bug.
B. They are working on fixing the bugs actively.
C. Aurora has its share of gamebreakers too, and it is far from perfect. In fact, I like DW a hell of a lot more than playing with spreadsheets in Aurora.

And yes, galactic war is pretty common.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #151 on: March 31, 2010, 01:38:30 am »

Also: This was posted yesterday by one of their forum mods. "Just to keep you all in the loop. We are planning on wrapping up the next update this Friday, testing it over the weekend and releasing it by Monday if all goes well. A public beta may be available over the weekend depending on how our initial testing goes. Fixing bugs is still our top priority, with a few more tenacious crash issues found and fixed so far and work on the out of memory save issue progressing. We will be trying to fit in time to address some other minor issues as well, but this is going to be primarily a bug fixing update.

Once we see if we've taken care of all the significant bugs, we will start doing more tweaks and improvements, but making sure DW is stable for everyone on all system is our top priority. "

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: March 31, 2010, 01:41:25 am »

I only have 1 gig on this little laptop so i have been playing with 400 system maps. No problems here yet.
The 'memory' is not related to the bug, that's why it's a bug!
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: March 31, 2010, 11:39:33 am »

I'm loving this game, I've only just gotten settled in after messing around in a few games. I found my optimum level of automation is to leave most of my ships on automatic to patrol for pirates, having one or two fleets I move around to do strikes or defend certain locations, and having automated ship design so I don't have to update all my ships when I get a better component (but I've made one or two designs of my own anyway).  Looking at the statistics and how the game works out, I seem to have discovered something interesting, the game is balanced, that's rare, but it's much better than most 4x games, the different species have different advantages that can require a different play style to take proper advantage of it. But every species does get bonuses that balance out (more or less, some a little less so). Better mining means more resources which means cheaper ships, and a stronger economy, a boost to trade means more money, population growth means your empire will fill out faster. there's one or two "war" species that every space faring 4x game has, but they have a balance too, lower war weariness means they suffer less attrition, and better troop training and combat, means they can take over more planets (which is much faster than colonizing planets). High tech races have stronger and more efficient ships, but usually less of them, and they don't get much of an advance in economy, a low tech and a high tech empire of the same size, won't have much of a difference in economic strength (though the high tech one will kick butt easily).

Also I've started a securian empire that I've called "Captain Kirk's Fan Club" the fan club is constantly expanding, it controls more territory than it's two neighbors, and has a trade agreement with a nearby science heavy group of guys, that it has been buying technology off of.

head

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoop Whoop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: March 31, 2010, 01:06:14 pm »

I was just subjected by the local insect warlord.

whoo.

after they initiate a first strike against two of my prime planets and took them.

with 1/3 of the ships they had it was the only thing i could do.

Trying to win allies to rebel.
Dev on Baystation12- Forums
Steam Username : Headswe

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: March 31, 2010, 01:18:09 pm »

Yeah, the war bugs are way too powerful, the only way I've found to beat them is to have a high tech race while fighting with them, but it still leads to years of galactic war.

Edit; anyone run out of fun the 20th+ year you were at galactic war? yeah, combine that with a revolution splitting your empire and I don't want to play that save anymore, let alone due to the colony mix-match to diabolical reputation... ::)
« Last Edit: March 31, 2010, 03:04:39 pm by Tarran »
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #156 on: March 31, 2010, 03:48:41 pm »

the warlike races have other disadvantages, and beating them might involve a less direct approach then meeting them on the field of battle.

Try out some sneaky stuff?

ALSO, when i start a new game, i dont let the game random generate my AI opponents. I make each one, leaving most things at random but setting their starting tech at lowest like mine, and their size at smallest, like mine. I want to meet everyone on equal grounds.
I got nothing

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #157 on: March 31, 2010, 03:55:21 pm »

the warlike races have other disadvantages, and beating them might involve a less direct approach then meeting them on the field of battle.

ALSO, when i start a new game, i dont let the game random generate my AI opponents. I make each one, leaving most things at random but setting their starting tech at lowest like mine, and their size at smallest, like mine. I want to meet everyone on equal grounds.
The starting tech and size for randomly generated ones are controlled by the galaxy age. If you have it set as young or starting or whatever, they will be the same as you on random.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: March 31, 2010, 04:57:46 pm »

Yeah, the war bugs are way too powerful, the only way I've found to beat them is to have a high tech race while fighting with them, but it still leads to years of galactic war.

Edit; anyone run out of fun the 20th+ year you were at galactic war? yeah, combine that with a revolution splitting your empire and I don't want to play that save anymore, let alone due to the colony mix-match to diabolical reputation... ::)

Questions for ya:
1) Is there any situation where you get a Game Over other then getting entirely wiped out?
2) Can gigantic AI Empires break up on a later date due to rebellions and such?
3) Technology & Research, is there a lot things to research?
4) Does it take long to max tech?
5) Can research rate be adjusted to take a longer time?
6) Can you make a very long lasting game?
7) After answering these questions, is this game... ideal for a succession game?

That is what I wonder when I see that post of yours...
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: March 31, 2010, 05:16:00 pm »

Questions for ya:
1) Is there any situation where you get a Game Over other then getting entirely wiped out?
2) Can gigantic AI Empires break up on a later date due to rebellions and such?
3) Technology & Research, is there a lot things to research?
4) Does it take long to max tech?
5) Can research rate be adjusted to take a longer time?
6) Can you make a very long lasting game?
7) After answering these questions, is this game... ideal for a succession game?

That is what I wonder when I see that post of yours...

1) If you set victory settings.
2) Duh, my empire split in half! not only that, but your colonies can also claim independence, just re-colonize the planets to get them back.
3) Yup, it will take forever to research anything in the early game due to few research bases, deploying them near black holes (600%), in supernova blast centers (400%), or near neutron stars (200%), will increase the amount they generate by that percentage.
4) Yes. (the normal way)
5) Both ways.
6) Yes, very, very long, if you can maintain such a huge galactic war, the AI will expand rapidly though.
7) Well, kinda, see, time goes really fast, best to give them 20 years, but by that time the galaxy will have advanced so much, and it takes a lot of willpower to stop playing!

Journier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: March 31, 2010, 05:52:06 pm »

Another negative I have about the game is...

Short tech tree?

I hit the ends of a tech tree fairly fast in my last game.

Sorta sucked.
Aurora 4x Steam group -http://steamcommunity.com/gid/103582791430952164

Aurora 4x Succession game - http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=51366.0

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #161 on: March 31, 2010, 06:26:04 pm »

I noticed that the armor tech especially seems to run out very quickly.

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: March 31, 2010, 07:35:08 pm »

The starting tech and size for randomly generated ones are controlled by the galaxy age. If you have it set as young or starting or whatever, they will be the same as you on random.

Well I don't agree there.
On my saves, everytime I auto-generated empires, somehow they always got incredible better tech by the time I found them..and they didn't have any research bonuses, like me.
I quitted like 2 games because I couldn't get any near these empires' research levels on weapons/shield/armour, so if I had a fleet with 50 fleets against a 10 ship fleet, they would die in 20 seconds or less.

Also, I'm having some critical errors which are pretty annoying, one of the most fun, balanced saves keeps crashing after 5 minutes of gameplay..
At least, on monday a new update will come :]

--

Oh yeah and...when you get 20+ colonies, pressing 'END' is a cool 'OMGWTF' moment.
Also, when you're SO strong that aliens start giving you 200k every time your fleets get near their territory, is also awesome.
AND losing a fleet of 50 ships to a Large Space Port is disastrous, but somehow fun to watch..
« Last Edit: March 31, 2010, 07:41:50 pm by Gabeux »
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: March 31, 2010, 07:57:19 pm »

AND losing a fleet of 50 ships to a Large Space Port is disastrous, but somehow fun to watch..

Don't remind me. ::)

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #164 on: April 01, 2010, 11:06:33 pm »

im going in for another game, this time with less automation. I have started to learn that my economy problems are related to the AI recruiting agents when i dont need them, or making to many construction ships.

this time i want to design some fleet ships with double the fuel capacity, and maybe some realy cheap refuling stations or something like that.

this game should be great...maybe. Either way I am having such a good time with this game. love it.
I got nothing
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 65