Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 65

Author Topic: Distant Worlds (4x RTS)  (Read 128756 times)

Journier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Distant Worlds (4x RTS)
« Reply #135 on: March 30, 2010, 01:21:00 pm »

Yes, I have the second patch, and the extra 2GB should handle all of Vista's junk, my large pagefile should be able to handle any extra junk (data on your disk can act like RAM, a-bit slower than RAM).

Well, guess I will have to start again for the third time. (second time I ran out of money :P)

The out of memory error is being worked on for next patch, Developer says so in his newest patch post, says sometime this weekend people who actually paid for the game will get the patch, then sometime monday a public patch will be released.
Aurora 4x Steam group -http://steamcommunity.com/gid/103582791430952164

Aurora 4x Succession game - http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=51366.0

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: March 30, 2010, 01:35:24 pm »

THANK GOD. That is the only bug I've come across so far, I'm glad it's going to be gone in the next patch, its a horrible bug. :)
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Journier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: March 30, 2010, 01:45:11 pm »

I like indy dev's that provide support like this :) Makes me happy i supported em.

Aurora 4x Succession game - http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=51366.0

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #138 on: March 30, 2010, 02:23:12 pm »

i DONT like the fact that they billed me around $82 for the game. Matrix games is FUCKED up. and my support ticket is unanswered to 2 full days now.
I got nothing

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: March 30, 2010, 03:36:00 pm »

Anyone know a fast way to win my war?

It goes like this, my opponent is too strong, but they could not possibly mount a attack on my colonies without taking heavy losses, and sending their entire fleet.

On the other hand, I cannot attack without the same tactics.

I am researching faster than them (I think) but they are expanding everywhere.

And, believe it or not, the reason I haven't accepted their peace treaty is because I don't want to give up a resort, that's right, a resort. :P

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I'm blue, they're red, centered is my capitol system, yellow/green is a different empire than me but the same race.
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Journier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: March 30, 2010, 04:01:46 pm »

Anyone know a fast way to win my war?

It goes like this, my opponent is too strong, but they could not possibly mount a attack on my colonies without taking heavy losses, and sending their entire fleet.

On the other hand, I cannot attack without the same tactics.

I am researching faster than them (I think) but they are expanding everywhere.

And, believe it or not, the reason I haven't accepted their peace treaty is because I don't want to give up a resort, that's right, a resort. :P

I'm blue, they're red, centered is my capitol system, yellow/green is a different empire than me but the same race.

jump onto their homeworld, kill their large star base, jump out and play defense, then when they almost finish the star base on their homeworld again jump in and kill it again... rinse repeat...

eventually they will be out of money? It seemed to work for me.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: March 30, 2010, 04:24:00 pm »

Uhh, their star base is friggin strong, no-go with that. :-\

Well, I captured several more colonies near my empire, they haven't even thought about attacking for a while.

Never mind, not that strong, but I still need those ships for other places.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 04:29:28 pm by Tarran »

Journier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: March 30, 2010, 04:45:07 pm »

15-20 early game ships will kill a large star base.

thats my find so far.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #143 on: March 30, 2010, 05:13:30 pm »

yea well my space resupply base did I cant speak for the rest of my empire though.... i dont understand how to tell if private industries are dropping resources off at my bases.,

i just would like to know how the refueling at a space port works and at a resupply ship works, because it definately did not work in my last game.

If space ports let you buy fuel (Fuel that I assume they fill up from hydrogen/caslon they get from traders???)

why isnt there a fuel meter on the space port to show if its capable of fueling a ship or 20 ships? Also if a space port isnt capable of fueling ships why does my fleet keep trying to go there when i select neared fuel dock or whichever the order is :/

I can keep my economy balanced, I can handle AI attacks, I cant handle random fuel shortages  :'(

New player syndrome is what this is, This is really a confusing bit of the game for me

My understanding of how fueling works:

Your empire reserves an amount of fuel, either hydrogen or caslon, based on the total number of reactors you have in operation as well as the amount of construction going on which needs those gases. This reserved amount is basically an open order for that gas type and you can see it by opening the construction yards screen and looking at various bases and planets. Independent or civilian transports pick up caslon/hydrogen from mining bases or independent/civilian mining ships mine the gas and drop it off at a starbase or spaceport. From there more independent/civilian transports will move it around your empire so that it filters through all of your bases and planets, filling the reserved amount. If I understand correctly, your empire's demand of a resource is found by subtracting total supply from total reserved amount indicating by how much you are not filling the total need for a resource.

So to see if your station can fuel your ships, look at its current stocks of hydrogen or caslon.

The same thing applies to resupply ships, they are able to mine the gases from the gas giant and store then in their hold and your ships take the gases as fuel.

Edit: Also, you don't buy the fuel as far as I know. Civilians buy processed fuel from you, but fueling your fleets is free so long as you have the gases available.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 05:39:00 pm by forsaken1111 »

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: March 30, 2010, 05:15:43 pm »

Believe it or not, they are at war with basically the entire galaxy, and yet they can beat most of it.

and their freaking capital ships have damned area weapons, my ships are usually decimated after a battle...

Oh well, I'm winning even though I lose most ship-to-ship battles, they just can't take everyone attacking them, and they still want something for peace, not going to happen!

Edit; I just found a bunch of crap, can you answer some questions?

EDIT:I'd call an error that prevents you from seeing anything on the main screen if you chose not to end the program a really big bug, it happened when I zoomed in on a 'storm'.

ED: why did they release a game as buggy as this? so many bugs! >:(
« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 10:43:46 pm by Tarran »

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: March 31, 2010, 12:39:51 am »

It's strange how some people are having so many problems. Other than the economic bugs(fixed by 1.02 patch) I have had a smooth experience. I haven't played a game this much since Dwarf Fortress.

Only a simple mind can be certain.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: March 31, 2010, 12:57:50 am »

You'll hit a bug soon, and you'll hit it hard, it may seem like it works without problems, but it will fail, I've lost more games to bugs than myself.

Journier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: March 31, 2010, 12:58:12 am »

Believe it or not, they are at war with basically the entire galaxy, and yet they can beat most of it.

and their freaking capital ships have damned area weapons, my ships are usually decimated after a battle...

Oh well, I'm winning even though I lose most ship-to-ship battles, they just can't take everyone attacking them, and they still want something for peace, not going to happen!

Edit; I just found a bunch of crap, can you answer some questions?

EDIT:I'd call an error that prevents you from seeing anything on the main screen if you chose not to end the program a really big bug, it happened when I zoomed in on a 'storm'.

ED: why did they release a game as buggy as this? so many bugs! >:(

ive seen much worse at release, and they are trying to fix the bugs as fast as possible.

The issue with small indy developers is its hard to keep beta testers even for well known games. Beta's are free generally.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: March 31, 2010, 01:14:29 am »

The main bug is the 'out of memory' bug, it and only it killed my games, lovely bug eh?

The game is basically unplayable with it, since unless you save every 15 minutes or so, you will lose a lot of progress, and just when you think it's working fine, it screws up just then!

I mean, the game is made by a team, Aurora is made by one person, don't you think DW should be at least a bit more stable and not have such a major bug?

Sorry, it's just that having hours of progress lost in seconds is not something that goes easy with me.

And I'm having a full scale galactic war again, it's common isn't it? :P

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #149 on: March 31, 2010, 01:19:08 am »

I only have 1 gig on this little laptop so i have been playing with 400 system maps. No problems here yet.
I got nothing
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 65