Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 65

Author Topic: Distant Worlds (4x RTS)  (Read 128706 times)

Journier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Distant Worlds (4x RTS)
« Reply #90 on: March 29, 2010, 01:26:08 am »

I bought it about 5 hours ago.

Dont regret it at all.

Fuckawesome.

Here is some teasers for you ladies.

You will find an ancient place where 2 fleets once fought and their wreckage is still there 1000's of years later... guarded by MONSTERS.

If you repair these ships, KEEP THEM, the capital ship alone can take out fleets by itself early on ^_^.
 :D :D :D
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I found this little heart breaker in the back corner of the galaxy.

She is quite the powerhouse. Take a guess what she does. I had to finish the construction of it, it was only half done.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Aurora 4x Steam group -http://steamcommunity.com/gid/103582791430952164

Aurora 4x Succession game - http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=51366.0

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #91 on: March 29, 2010, 01:37:46 am »

Matrix is corrupt and evil company! GIVE ME MY DOWNLOAD BITCHES!
I got nothing

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 29, 2010, 02:05:06 am »

The planets look like they were made with Lunarcell and edited by hand.

Just thought everyone would like to know. :P
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #93 on: March 29, 2010, 02:29:54 am »

Matrix is corrupt and evil company! GIVE ME MY DOWNLOAD BITCHES!
Overreact much? It's sunday, they aren't even at work. Chill.

Pita

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 29, 2010, 03:12:36 am »

Against my better judgement I impulse bought this last week. I'm regretting it only because I couldn't really afford it, and I shouldn't be playing it because I have urgent study to attend to. The game is pretty awesome.

Coming from an incredibly skewed dwarf fortress perspective, I do have unreasonable wishes as to the level of detail that the game tracks. I probably should be playing Aurora instead (but don't like the idea of having to use a scrolling desktop... I'll probably try it eventually anyway). I'm also playing it on its minimum requirements, so I'm sort of stuck with the smallest galaxy sizes, and it seems mainly orientated to macro scales. I often find myself wondering how cool it would be if the game tracked important individual figures or if the history of each galaxy was actually generated from the ground up. (the galaxies are procedurally generated, but the all the ancient ruins/derelict ships you find are simply plonked on the map, and, as far as I can tell, don't actually have a procedural history). Damn you dwarf fortress for giving me impossible standards!

I'm on my 4th game so far, eager to try out different set ups. I recommend everyone who tries the game to turn off the automation of everything and change it to suggestions, I actually started to learn what was going on a lot faster that way. The AI also currently builds far too many units to maintain. Keeping your economy from crashing is actually quite fun at the moment. I hope they don't over-balance it in the opposite direction (because there are quite a few complaints about the economy).

For the turn based enthusiasts out there, this definitely isn't a RTS kind of clicking game. For starters the time element is completely controllable, and even when playing at 1x speed, it's not a chaotic 'build! build! attack! attack!' sort of game. You get punished pretty hard for over-expanding when your current colonies can't support it, so I find myself spending most of my time looking after one or two main fleets, keeping them up to the current technology, making sure that they don't run out of fuel while they're protecting my systems (annoying), and making sure I'm supplying my colonies with what they need.

If anything, the real time aspect makes the universe seem more alive and breathing.

Journier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 29, 2010, 03:32:15 am »

I like the game, has definate need for improvements though.

Before I bought it i thought i read it was highly moddable, sadly it seems not so much of it is moddable, It looks like only ships images, races details/images and a couple other minor area's are moddable.

Doesnt seem like the history info is moddable?

This is one of my biggest gripes, I have found so much of the galaxy history already that its repeating a bit now. The first play through I was like HOLY YES!! , 2nd time I hit alot of the same stuff again and sorta was suprised they didnt have more.

Or even the cool objects placed on the map that give the game its life while your exploring.

Techs = not moddable?

Monsters= not moddable? Theres only 6 types or so :(

combat = not moddable.

minor modding capability is irritating for a game like this, I know modders could turn this damn game into gold.

« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 03:34:37 am by Journier »
Aurora 4x Steam group -http://steamcommunity.com/gid/103582791430952164

Aurora 4x Succession game - http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=51366.0

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 29, 2010, 08:53:38 am »

Needs quite a bit of performance optimization. Zooming and even some window loading feels sluggish when it shouldn't. Sometimes even scrolling is choppy. And I heard it gets worse as the game progresses.

On a quad-core CPU (Athlon II X4 620), 4 gigs of RAM and an ATI 5850, everything in this game should be smooth. But at the same time, one shouldn't need a PC of that calibre to run DW smoothly.

Still looks like a great game, but that's something that should be worked on.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 29, 2010, 12:09:48 pm »

Modding is the lifeblood. 
Forsaken sells the game pretty well with his AAR.  >.>  Was itching to buy it when I read his stuff.  Then you killed that itch Journier.   :P
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: March 29, 2010, 01:28:33 pm »

theyre talking about increasing the modding capabilities in some future patches.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 29, 2010, 01:53:52 pm »

First of all, I finally broke down and bought it.

Second, I have no doubt that we will see some modding tools in 6 months or so, right after after they release a sequel or add-on(just speculation).

I am LOVING the playing options and the freedom of the game. I am playing as Supreme Director of Secret Service. I am controlling spy recruiting, missions and construction of observation bases and scouting ships. Everything else is on auto-pilot.

I have a raging gamerection for this title. Let's see where the developers take it post launch.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

lumin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: March 29, 2010, 02:28:21 pm »

This game sounds pretty intriguing.  Am I far off by calling it a 4x/RTS version of Space Rangers 2?  If so, I'd be hard pressed not to buy it.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 29, 2010, 02:42:04 pm »

Ships have no slots and I haven't noticed any RPG notions in there, but something of the kind, maybe. Closer to a 4X/RTS version of Gratuitous Space Battles, actually, sans the submodules getting damaged in combat and the beautiful graphics of GSB.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

lumin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 29, 2010, 03:19:11 pm »

Ships have no slots and I haven't noticed any RPG notions in there, but something of the kind, maybe.

Well obviously.  That's why I said "this is SR2 as a 4X/RTS", not "this is SR2 as a RPG" which would be a little redundant.

I meant that they both have a living breathing world, where factions rise and fall all on their own and where emergent game-play can happen (where, from what I have seen, Gratuitous Space Battles does none of that).
« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 03:20:43 pm by lumin »

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: March 29, 2010, 03:34:03 pm »

theyre talking about increasing the modding capabilities in some future patches.
Eh, fine and dandy, I can wait until then.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: March 29, 2010, 03:46:41 pm »

BEWARE if you were one of those people who decided to "demo" it by torrent. Snunaa.dll process and a cmd process start running and eating cpu cycles, so this may be the reason you see some performance hit during and after playing that particular version.
Only a simple mind can be certain.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 65