Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 65

Author Topic: Distant Worlds (4x RTS)  (Read 128665 times)

Krelos

• Bay Watcher
  • Was nauseated by the sun recently.
    • View Profile
Re: Distant Worlds (4x RTS)
« Reply #45 on: March 28, 2010, 12:55:06 am »

Indeed, I have learned the hard way to never ever buy any game without trying it out first.

With a 40$ price tag, a demo is required.
Quote from: Ravenplucker
Quote from: Aklyon
Quote from: smokingwreckage
In order to improve the universe's frame rate, we must all throw rocks into volcanoes and then do absolutely nothing, worldwide, for a week, to take pressure off pathfinding.
or maybe throw them into the large hadron collider to atom-smash them instead.
Not to mention to throw all available animals into tiny pits.

AussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • [Australian]
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 28, 2010, 01:18:02 am »

Conan was lost in his e-Penis

It made his balls tingle. Oh, how they tingled.

Conan could have run just one ship, and sexualized that way,

Why did his huge 4th Fleet penis tendril not move to engage the enemy he had declared war upon? It just sat there, in one of Conan's neighbor's dickjuice refueling stations, in the Bumfuck Nowhere system.

Just some of the bests bits in that.

It looks really good, kinda a graphical aurora. The price is pretty steep for a indie game tho.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #47 on: March 28, 2010, 01:45:13 am »

Bought the game. It is excellent.

I have to say... the guy who did the voiceover for the videos on their website is a MASSIVE TOOL.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #48 on: March 28, 2010, 02:14:26 am »

Oh and, the guy is wrong about having no control over your research. They do select and pursue research independently, like in real life, but if you need something done fast you can initiate a crash research program. It costs money and gets the project done faster.

Edit: Let me know if you guys have any specific questions.

Edit 2: Also you do have some control over how your citizens research just by what labs you build. Labs are placed in bases so the number and type of labs you put in when you design the base controls what research takes place.

« Last Edit: March 28, 2010, 02:26:08 am by forsaken1111 »

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 28, 2010, 02:28:57 am »

Urgh, it seems very nice, but without a demo it might be a disappointment to find out what it does and does not have.

some questions and opinions, please try to answer a few at-least.

are planets 'dynamic'? the planets seem to be a type of MOO type planets, not the dynamic planets in aurora, you know, the type that has ground bases, construction factories, and infrastructure and such? I like games that take the unimportant details and turn them into important details, terraforming is not really mentioned, that I also dislike, I am one for perfection you know.

are the ships as customize-able as in Aurora? that can also be a big down if not, as the style of MOO's ship building is much worse than Aurora's.

the interface might be a big up, but you never know, if Aurora was much more easy to learn, it would be much more popular then it is now.

do the stars affect planets? or move the habitability zone?

RTS is kind of a let down, as turn based games let you think before you act.

does combat work the same as a traditional RTS with flying projectiles?

the reason I'm asking all of this is because Sins was really bad compared to Aurora, and I haven't really bought a game in a while, and I need to know that this game is worth the $40. :(

and don't say Aurora sucks without playing it for a long time like I have.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #50 on: March 28, 2010, 02:42:15 am »

are planets 'dynamic'? the planets seem to be a type of MOO type planets, not the dynamic planets in aurora, you know, the type that has ground bases, construction factories, and infrastructure and such? I like games that take the unimportant details and turn them into important details, terraforming is not really mentioned, that I also dislike, I am one for perfection you know.
Well I just got the game so can't say for certain. It seems like planets are pretty static, there is nowhere near the detail they have in Aurora certainly. I don't  see any mention of terraforming yet either, but it may be in a higher tech tier than I am in so far.

are the ships as customize-able as in Aurora? that can also be a big down if not, as the style of MOO's ship building is much worse than Aurora's.
I'd say it's a step beyond MOO2 as you do customize what specific components/weapons/etc are in a ship. Again, It does not go into the detail Aurora does. You do not have to specify what size capacitor is in your deathray and how fact it can turn.

the interface might be a big up, but you never know, if Aurora was much more easy to learn, it would be much more popular then it is now.
I have to say, their tools for displaying data in the 1500+ star galaxy are very useful. The expansion planner makes it super easy to find new colony locations and send ships there, and the galaxy map has built-in filter views to highlight resources, enemies, allies, etc.

Yes, and in fact when you start a game you get to pick the age of the galaxy. Older galaxies have larger established alien empires, older stars, etc. You also get to pick how common independant non-empire aliens are as well as space monster frequency, etc.

You can pause it at any time just by hitting space, issue orders, and resume. I haven't at any point felt rushed.

So far combat seems fairly standard. You shoot your guns or lasers or whatever you have on there and their armor/shields absorb hits before the internal systems do.

the reason I'm asking all of this is because Sins was really bad compared to Aurora, and I haven't really bought a game in a while, and I need to know that this game is worth the $40. :(
I enjoyed SINS for what it is... a game to play on weekends with your friends. It doesn't have Aurora's depth sure but it's not that bad and its a lot of fun multiplayer.
I actually enjoy Aurora a lot, and will be happy when its actually done, a bit less buggy, and has an interface worth a damn. As someone else said, it feels like "playing spreadsheets" a lot of the time. Despite that, Aurora is a lot of fun.

Overall: So far I am enjoying Distant Worlds and don't regret the buy.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #51 on: March 28, 2010, 02:43:01 am »

Oh, and I like the fact that nearly everything has a help link to the 'galactopedia' ingame which includes a LOT of information on... everything.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #52 on: March 28, 2010, 02:54:00 am »

Also:

Pirates are not random engine-spawned forces that attack you but are factions with actual bases.

Independent alien colonies can (if you choose the option) form new empires during the game and begin expanding.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 28, 2010, 02:55:50 am »

Well I just got the game so can't say for certain. It seems like planets are pretty static, there is nowhere near the detail they have in Aurora certainly. I don't  see any mention of terraforming yet either, but it may be in a higher tech tier than I am in so far.

Hrmmm...

I'd say it's a step beyond MOO2 as you do customize what specific components/weapons/etc are in a ship. Again, It does not go into the detail Aurora does. You do not have to specify what size capacitor is in your deathray and how fact it can turn.

eh, might not be that important, but its always fun to design a ship once in a while.

I have to say, their tools for displaying data in the 1500+ star galaxy are very useful. The expansion planner makes it super easy to find new colony locations and send ships there, and the galaxy map has built-in filter views to highlight resources, enemies, allies, etc.

the galaxy map does look good, but it does look kinda blurry. :P

Yes, and in fact when you start a game you get to pick the age of the galaxy. Older galaxies have larger established alien empires, older stars, etc. You also get to pick how common independant non-empire aliens are as well as space monster frequency, etc.

interesting.

You can pause it at any time just by hitting space, issue orders, and resume. I haven't at any point felt rushed.

sounds good, but can you make time pass faster or slower if you want?

So far combat seems fairly standard. You shoot your guns or lasers or whatever you have on there and their armor/shields absorb hits before the internal systems do.

maybe its not that big of a deal, its just that combat usually can range from bad to great.

I enjoyed SINS for what it is... a game to play on weekends with your friends. It doesn't have Aurora's depth sure but it's not that bad and its a lot of fun multiplayer.

true, it does get kinda down-in-the-dumps boring at times though.

I actually enjoy Aurora a lot, and will be happy when its actually done, a bit less buggy, and has an interface worth a damn. As someone else said, it feels like "playing spreadsheets" a lot of the time. Despite that, Aurora is a lot of fun.

I wasn't talking specifically to you. :P

Overall: So far I am enjoying Distant Worlds and don't regret the buy.

I want to see what others think though, from this forum.

Also:

Pirates are not random engine-spawned forces that attack you but are factions with actual bases.

Independent alien colonies can (if you choose the option) form new empires during the game and begin expanding.

neat, but its still is not a major buying point.
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #54 on: March 28, 2010, 02:59:09 am »

True true. The way I saw it was, if I dont order pizza twice this month then I paid for the game.  ;D

So I'll make sandwiches instead.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #55 on: March 28, 2010, 03:38:02 am »

Briefly...

So I started a new game. Almost immediately a pirate faction started hitting my shipping, and soon after they contacted me demanding protection money. I paid them off for 6 months. It was cheaper than building new ships and I didn't have the military to deal with them.

6 months later the deal worked out well for them, they offered me a permanent mercenary contract. If I paid them a monthly fee they would actively patrol my shipping lines and attack my enemies or rival pirates.

I accepted. I also purchased charts of an 'unexplored system' which turned out to be a black hole. Suck? Not so! My industrious civilians built a research station around the black hole and are studying it, enhancing my energy research.

3 months later I checked in and they said they had found something I would be interested in, for 10k credits. Sure... I have 30k and make enough that this would be an expensive but recoverable loss. They gave me the location to an ancient ruin site called the "Halls of Idros"

I examined these, and found charts of 8 nearby systems as well as directions to the "Tomb of Idros" which had a data module with some galactic history pointing to some ominous threat.

Woot!

Then, after another few months, I checked in with the pirates. They sold me the location of a rival pirate faction.

I immediately dispatched 8 ships and blew this faction's base away. This so frightened the first pirate faction that they joined my empire on the spot, surrendering all ships and bases to me.

Amusing.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 28, 2010, 03:40:55 am »

Then, after another few months, I checked in with the pirates. They sold me the location of a rival pirate faction.

I immediately dispatched 8 ships and blew this faction's base away. This so frightened the first pirate faction that they joined my empire on the spot, surrendering all ships and bases to me.

Amusing.
:P

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #57 on: March 28, 2010, 03:46:03 am »

sounds good, but can you make time pass faster or slower if you want?
Missed this. Yes you can adjust the speed up or down in addition to pausing.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #58 on: March 28, 2010, 03:47:32 am »

Boarded an abandoned gas refinery

It had coordinates in its nav computer that lead to bumfuck nowhere in the middle of space, no stars no planets. Gonna send an explorer out to see what it is.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 28, 2010, 04:01:10 am »

Ehh, for those who still can't decide like me, if you wait, it might be more stable when you do buy it because of patches, so don't feel too bad to wait, there's always next week, or next month, deciding is much more easy if you don't feel like you need to buy it. :-\
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 65