Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 65

Author Topic: Distant Worlds (4x RTS)  (Read 128646 times)

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
Re: Distant Worlds (4x RTS)
« Reply #855 on: September 21, 2014, 03:27:14 pm »

I tried as a pirate before. How do you deal independents that got too big to influence?

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #856 on: September 21, 2014, 03:28:28 pm »

I view this game as a sort of Mediterranean trading empire in space simulation.  Its not really about the war, its about expanding your influence and defending your trade.  That's why its too bad the diplomacy options are so thin, it really needs a Vicky style system for powerful civs to compete for influence over weak civs.
I completely agree. If Distant worlds had a really good diplomacy/soft power system then it'd be amazing. A lot of the time it feels as though you're just being pushed into war because it's the only way to assert your influence, and the AI is so broken for even normal diplomacy (endlessly switching on and off embargoes and so on) that I normally just turn into a warmonger out of sheer annoyance.

I'm really looking forward to seeing the two 4x games on our forum (Imperia and Galaxia) tackle diplomacy, and I really hope they can do it in a much better way than 'give gift/war/peace'
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #857 on: September 21, 2014, 03:45:58 pm »

Thanks for all the advice.

One thing that some people may not know:
Space Ports don't need cargo bays, they can transfer and store things on the planet they are connected though.
Apparently mining stations can hold a lot more resources than you would think from their cargo bays. You may get away with putting the bare minimum (I think one is required) on them. I'll be doing some testing on that.

Any way to make sure the things you build will be stay in a planets orbit? Is building it from the planet menue the only way?

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #858 on: September 21, 2014, 03:52:44 pm »

I tried as a pirate before. How do you deal independents that got too big to influence?

I don't know, in my experience independents aren't much of a threat compared to pirates and empires.  Even the ones that become powerful enough to become an empire (if you have that option on) are pretty easy targets for bullying.

I guess just ignore them and go after easier prey?  You're pirates, you can pick and choose your fights.  Just make sure no one takes out your main spaceport(s).
« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 04:22:22 pm by EnigmaticHat »
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #859 on: September 21, 2014, 03:53:28 pm »

If you click the planet and right click and select build, you can build it where you clicked and it will orbit the planet.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #860 on: September 21, 2014, 04:34:11 pm »

That's good to know, thanks.

aristabulus

• Bay Watcher
  • Fnordius Maximus
    • View Profile
« Reply #861 on: May 28, 2015, 12:17:26 pm »

Copypasta from the sales thread, in case any price-sensitive watchers haven't bought it yet.

Distant Worlds Universe is -50% / US$29.99 as a Daily Deal @ Steam.

Given that Matrix/Slitherine usually swims against the current on sale pricing, this is a pretty good deal.
If iron is to become steel, it must feel fire! --ancient Dwarven proverb

What is steel compared to the hand that wields it?  --Thulsa Doom

Kruniac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #862 on: May 28, 2015, 06:03:23 pm »

Copypasta from the sales thread, in case any price-sensitive watchers haven't bought it yet.

Given that Matrix/Slitherine usually swims against the current on sale pricing, this is a pretty good deal.

Absolutely hilarious price considering that pirating it is free.

I like DW. I think it's a decent game. It's not worth $29.99. It's just not worth that much. The lack of real tactical combat, diplomatic options, easy-to-access information regarding resources, cargo, etc just makes it not worth that much.

I'd pay $15 for it.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #863 on: May 28, 2015, 06:06:36 pm »

I like DW. I think it's a decent game. It's not worth $29.99. It's just not worth that much. The lack of real tactical combat, diplomatic options, easy-to-access information regarding resources, cargo, etc just makes it not worth that much.

I'd pay $15 for it.

I mean... it literally has all those things except tactical combat.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Silent_Thunder

• Bay Watcher
  • World Heavyweight Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #864 on: May 28, 2015, 06:49:55 pm »

I'd pay $15 for it.

What the hell does being able to pirate it have to do with what they're charging. Or are you one of those people who think pirating is "taking back from the system" instead of just being the kind of cunt who wants to both "prove a point" while still getting the benefit of having the game.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #865 on: May 28, 2015, 06:53:34 pm »

Eh... I think the unspoken truth of video game prices is that they've been reduced because of "competition" from pirates.  In the same way that first day sales are so important because of "competition" from used game sales.

Notice how the only games that sell for $60 any more are the ones sold to the console audience, which (in America at least) doesn't frequently pirate games.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Silent_Thunder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #866 on: May 28, 2015, 06:57:37 pm »

Eh... I think the unspoken truth of video game prices is that they've been reduced because of "competition" from pirates.  In the same way that first day sales are so important because of "competition" from used game sales.

Notice how the only games that sell for $60 any more are the ones sold to the console audience, which (in America at least) doesn't frequently pirate games.

Nah it's not piracy at all that's done it, there's been actual studies done that show piracy is for the most part a non issue with profit losses. For instance the football manager self-conducted study estimated only a 1.75% loss from piracy, with China (a county they are banned from) being the biggest pirate market. What's killed prices is the race to the bottom of an expanding market, plus increased globalization (thus expanding into markets where $60 is an unheard of sum to drop on entertainment.) You used to only have a few big players making games in the days of retail distribution; which of course had it's own overhead costs, but now that it's all digital everyone and their grandma is distributing games, and if you try to sell something at $60 some other company will undercut you by $15. But I'm not here to start a debate on economics. Hell I've pirated stuff too, it's just people who get self righteous about it and don't admit it's pure greed that irk me.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #867 on: May 28, 2015, 08:10:03 pm »

There's also the entire part of that video game prices are reduced these days at least online because the retailer isn't spending any money on shipping/packaging/discs/ect so that profit margins increase greatly.  Which in turn means they can afford to charge less and earn the same amount as they used to, with even more because it's cheaper so more people are willing to buy.
Nom nom nom

Silent_Thunder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #868 on: May 28, 2015, 08:15:20 pm »

There's also the entire part of that video game prices are reduced these days at least online because the retailer isn't spending any money on shipping/packaging/discs/ect so that profit margins increase greatly.  Which in turn means they can afford to charge less and earn the same amount as they used to, with even more because it's cheaper so more people are willing to buy.

That was part of my point. WIth digitial distribution, a game dev makes as much selling 10 copies at $5 as they do selling 1 copy at $50 (Depending on their contracts with the publisher and store, but that's far more granular than this discussion is about), where before if they sold those 10 copies they actually lost money.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #869 on: May 28, 2015, 08:34:57 pm »

I'd pay $15 for it.
Bruh, how many hours have you put into it so far?
EDIT:Fixed mah words.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2015, 09:04:59 pm by Zangi »
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 65