Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 65

Author Topic: Distant Worlds (4x RTS)  (Read 128662 times)

head

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoop Whoop.
    • View Profile
Re: Distant Worlds (4x RTS)
« Reply #75 on: March 28, 2010, 04:40:05 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Row [insert product name here]

Yes.

Looks like a great game. Keep the "AAR" comeing.
Dev on Baystation12- Forums
Steam Username : Headswe

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #76 on: March 28, 2010, 04:52:08 pm »

Will do when I start playing again later. I have a couple of things to do for now.

I'll do a quick bit on what's happened so far though.

Restarted as humans in a big (1400 star) galaxy. I'm amused that it states outright that the map alone requires 2GB of memory, but I can understand it considering it's tracking 1400 star systems filled with planets, moons and asteroids all with orbital motion, resources, populations, development level, morale, civilian movement, etc.

So far I have colonized the 2 planets in my home system and one moon which were habitable. I have also colonized a planet over which I found an ancient abandoned starbase which, while the technology was not much advanced from mine, saved me quite a bundle on building it. They're pretty expensive, and this gives me a nice refueling point as well as doubles my available shipyards. Civilians are loving this as well as they're basing deep space mining operations out of that starbase and mining the hell out of the local asteroids.

I found another weapons testing range, this time with about half a dozen really messed up ships. It looks like I can repair them and get them operational. I've also found a few galactic history entries. I won't post those here to avoid spoilers.

Also... FUCKING SPACE BEASTS. I apparently disturbed a space lobster nest and good god they are everywhere. My navy is locked down killing LOBSTERS for god's sake.

I've taken out 2 pirate nests and you sometimes get quite a sum of loot from them.

Ssiissuu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 28, 2010, 05:23:00 pm »

Thanks for the posts Forsaken, my interest is piqued. Have you run into any bugs or crashes?

Rift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 28, 2010, 06:15:15 pm »

Yea, its pretty interesting so far..
i havent really noticed any bugs and it has yet to crash... seems pretty stable.
I've run into a few races, it seems they were fighting over a moon and taking it over back and forth.. I'm starting to run into money trouble [i guess i expanded too quickly]..
I had the same "lobsters nest" event [its one of the random things that can happen if you explore ruins.. i've also gained technology from some, or found nothing at all.
I've savaged a few random "ancient" ships i found, and the ones that arn't boobytrapped to blow up in your face, seem to be worthwile.. like it was a great deal better then mine, but i ended up deassambling it for technology rather then actually using it as a weapon [as i have one of the biggest fleets and don't need the military edge as much as i need more research].
Overall, the ai's feel pretty good, the automation/suggestion really allows you to play the game with very little skill and focus on things that interest you.. I admit to feeling a bit of "what the hell am i supposed to do" when automation is 100% though... Play with pirates.. they make the game a lot more interesting [even if they are a bit strong compared to the weakest/slowest start you can do]

SeaBee

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolves are atheists
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 28, 2010, 06:35:52 pm »

I played the unofficial demo for this game and, after an hour and 10 minutes, bought it. The beta 1.02 patch fixes some economic and crash issues, too!

Thanks for all the AARs and other information. I liked that the dev and the publisher worked together through the weekend to pump out that nice beta patch. I really like this game. It manages to not be a clone of other games. Nice feel to the game and great random events make it pretty epic.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 28, 2010, 07:00:14 pm »

Urgh, I want it now, but I think I'm going to wait until my computer screen is fixed, I can still use it, just it basically re-projects the screen slightly up, when the screen is at certain angles, so my screen can get filled up till its 100% white sometimes. :-\

I'm not a torrent guy, so it would be really nice if they released a demo, an official demo. :(

Aurora is just kinda slow for me, dwarf fortress too at times, hopefully I will get some action.

to tell you the truth, I would pay up pretty fast for a planet simulator like Sim Earth. :P
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #81 on: March 28, 2010, 07:08:57 pm »

Thanks for the posts Forsaken, my interest is piqued. Have you run into any bugs or crashes?
None at all actually, once I installed the 1.0.1.0 patch.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #82 on: March 28, 2010, 07:12:17 pm »

Are there any patch notes for the 1.0.2.0 beta patch? I'm curious what the 'serious economy issue' was.

Journier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 28, 2010, 08:09:23 pm »

I just bought it, I am liking it.

So I ran into a bunch of monsters, and oh shit they were guarding Ancient Space Wreckage from a long lost battle.

So i killed the space scorpions and brought in my construction ship... and holy shit i like doubled my fleet size  :D

wooooo

And I am slowly unraveling my galaxy's history as well.

To Forsaken regarding patch notes-

it fixed major economy failing bug, made everyone go into negatives due to homeworld not getting resources it needed?

and it fixed 8 crashes? or 6 crashes, I havent crashed yet but i get some error once in a while.
Aurora 4x Steam group -http://steamcommunity.com/gid/103582791430952164

Aurora 4x Succession game - http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=51366.0

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #84 on: March 28, 2010, 11:07:29 pm »

Hit my first bug. I offered to sell a technology to an alien race. They refused, but there was still a "Will you accept this offer?" button there. I clicked that and nothing happened.

Then I looked at my relationship with another race and it was suddenly -99 where before it was about +43 from several decades of peace and trading. The reason was "Our past dealings with you have been atrocious!" and then I was at war... and then their friends war dec'd me. And then I was in a 3 front war. And then I lost.

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #85 on: March 28, 2010, 11:41:35 pm »

while that bug sounds like it sucks, the other stuff sounds cool. I like how their allies joined in the war.
I got nothing

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 28, 2010, 11:46:08 pm »

Isn't that normal for games these days? :P
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #87 on: March 28, 2010, 11:52:22 pm »

gah i went ahead and tried to buy it, it said my order was in processing and I would get an email. They debited my bank. When i try to search for the order status, it cant find it.

I already hate Matrix games
I got nothing

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 28, 2010, 11:53:45 pm »

Just wait or post on their forums, email someone or something.

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #89 on: March 29, 2010, 12:59:05 am »

considering the insane prices they charge for their games, they should have a better system in place for doing this sort of thing. I build websites for a living, its not really that hard to have a nice clean and stable payment solution, might cost them a couple thousand dollars TOPS.

I had to create two separate accounts, one for the forums and one for their help desk. I posted to both, still the same crap, wait for emails.
I got nothing
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 65