Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Refugees, A Dwarven Community Fortress  (Read 4511 times)

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
Re: Refugees, A Dwarven Community Fortress
« Reply #45 on: March 30, 2010, 06:26:19 pm »

Journal of Tarran, pg 3
---------------------
Something about Rob just feels wrong, I don't know what, but it's something... disturbing...

Ah well, who cares?

I asked Navok {that is his name?} for a room for myself and some silver bars, he said 'if we find any', I laughed, and told him that galena is everywhere!

[Some time later]

I came across a Toad today, we stared at each-other for several minutes, strange... {this is just because I thought it would make a remark of 'what the...'}
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Vayre

• Bay Watcher
  • Quoth the Raven, "Nevermore"
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 31, 2010, 10:16:29 am »

Journal of Navok

10th of Slate, 303 A.C.

Hmmm, this could be bad. Soon after arriving one of our new migrants, Nil Iteblogem seems to have gone insane. Evidently the strain of having him home destroyed and then having to make his way here has affected him badly.

Currently he is bunkered down inside our craftdwarfs workshop, growling at anyone who dares to approach.

Elsewhere in the fort we have dwarves rushing around everywhere, a good portion of them helping to stock the new forges, where our new smiths are burning wood for charcoal. Gnooble has recruited some of the new migrants to help him build some more bedrooms, but until we have a sizeable supply of wood we cannot spare much for beds if we hope to get some smithing going.

13th of Slate, 303 A.C.

We’re in trouble.

Evidently the elven merchants grew tired of waiting for us to finally com out and trade with them, and they have left before we could buy anything.

With the new help taking over some of his other duties Wilson has been able to devote more time to brewing, so we hopefully shouldn’t starve, but supplies will be tight until the next trade caravan passes our way.

In order to prevent things like this I have decided to set up a permanent trade depot, as well as some other modifications to our entrance, though first we need to finish our lake project.

16th of Slate, 303 A.C.

Crisis averted, it seems that Nil has regained his sanity, after spending days in the workshop, he emerged carrying a Birch idol he calls “Notlithzugob”, I must say, the craftdwarfship is amazing, as soon as we have a larger stockpile for wood I am going to get him to make some wooden crafts for trade.

Also with the lake nearly finished we have begun work on our entrance, and a complete restructuring of the workshop storage areas. In order to ensure the safety of our workers the military has been pulled out of training to patrol the surrounding area.

16th Felsite, 303 A.C.

*This page is crumpled, as though gripped hard in anger*

So much for Imps “carp protection device”, as soon as we breached the wall a carp made it straight through, he claims that it should work, but apparently it doesn’t.

I have reclaimed my axe and I’m taking the squad down to guard the edge until something can be done to fix it.

((The hell? I thought that fortifications were supposed to keep out fish?!))
And, they came. My fingers tingled, my nose twitched and my toes tickled... they came around the corner, over my bridge... Into my courtyard... Onto my trade depot...

Then everything near it exploded in a cloud of blood.

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 31, 2010, 11:02:54 am »

Sadly,  dwarfimps can't read the wiki.

"(* Note - there is a known bugv0.28.181.40d that allows flowing liquids to, occasionally, "push" creatures through bars, grates and fortifications. Bars and fortifications still work as intended with non-flowing liquids.) "

For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

Darkness3313

• Bay Watcher
  • On the item is an image of Darkness in Adamantine.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 31, 2010, 04:51:48 pm »

Once the water pressure passes it should be fine.

Otherwise you may wanna use a Screw pump instead so we can pump the water but not the Fish.
Darkness cancels die: Interrupted by Life.

r3d5kull

• Bay Watcher
  • Hows this look for professional.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 31, 2010, 05:22:31 pm »

actually it's recommended to just use two fortifications with 1 space between just in case they get through it

Vayre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 01, 2010, 04:24:49 pm »

Hmmm, not entirely sure where I should go with this.

On one hand this has been started.

On the other hand there is the new version, with awesome new features, both gameplaywise and stuff that could be put into a story (constant assaults of cave monsters anyone?

Plus this has only just started, so not that much is being lost.

Not entirely sure myself, post Yae or Nae if I should close this and open something on the new one, note this isn't a vote as such, just your opinions influencing my decision.
And, they came. My fingers tingled, my nose twitched and my toes tickled... they came around the corner, over my bridge... Into my courtyard... Onto my trade depot...

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 01, 2010, 05:27:33 pm »

New version, don't forget to use the arena for stuff that's hard to do, but has to be done. :P
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

r3d5kull

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 01, 2010, 05:52:56 pm »

Start Anew... Just use the same thread though

Vayre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 02, 2010, 04:31:18 am »

Ok, now a  Vote.

Start now, making hilarious mistakes and potentially getting messed upby bugs in funny ways.

or

Wait a week, get some experience with the new system, and let a few bug fix releases come out.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 04:38:24 am by Vayre »

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 02, 2010, 04:44:12 am »

Early, losing is fun.

just a few tips;

1: caverns may look safe, but they are far from it.

2: don't dig down to the bottom of the map, you are just asking for it.

3: you will get migrants within the first season, and ambushes within the first year.

4: don't. underestimate. undead.

5: Cave blobs are harmless short term, but they can do real damage in long term.

Now, as soon as you get a trained Cave blob, put it in my room. :)

UristMcGunsmith

• Bay Watcher
  • "Shhh! My common sense is tingling!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 02, 2010, 04:57:54 am »

I BEG YOU to let me be the forts first doctor. I didn't know what to do with my current character anyways.

Vayre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 02, 2010, 06:05:22 am »

Ok, while i'm thinking up a story and wondering what the f to do with this, if anyone wants to reregister and change their char's profession then tell me now.

Also can ya remind me of names and stuff, or you might want to change it. Just Copy, paste and change this list

- Zakath, Male,  Mason/Architect, Vayre.
- ?, ?, Doctor, UristMcGunsmith

So yeah, just post that. Tarran, you want to be a swordsdwarf again? but starting with equipment this time, from the sounds of things we'll need it.

r3d5kull

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 02, 2010, 09:25:07 am »

- Zakath, Male,  Mason/Architect, Vayre.
- ?, ?, Doctor, UristMcGunsmith
- Johann, Male, Miner/Biter/ R3d5kull

Vayre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 02, 2010, 09:36:08 am »

Unfortunately there will be a LARGE delay.

My computer has had a problem of the "NO, F*** YOU!! NOTHING WILL WORK!!!" kind, so now i'm trying to identify what is still not working, why the hell it won't let me install things or use system restore, and trying to fix what is broken.

EDIT: Might not be as bad as it seems, after i fixed the problem of windows office trying to reinstall when I opened ANYTHING, most things are working now, barring steam and itunes. Normal service may resume soon.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 09:37:55 am by Vayre »

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 02, 2010, 12:36:06 pm »

That's either hardware failure, or viruses.

I still want swordsdwarf, better come with the starting group since you'll need me, I can't remember how many times I died before I even had a military, don't worry about running out of food, the first migrant wave is in summer the first year.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5