Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Refugees, A Dwarven Community Fortress  (Read 4509 times)

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
Re: Refugees, A Dwarven Community Fortress
« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2010, 03:38:32 pm »

Journal of Tarran, pg 2
---------------------

*the page looks absolutely soaked*

Flipping waterfall! I turn around one second and I fall into a river and down a waterfall.

oh, who are these guys?
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Vayre

• Bay Watcher
  • Quoth the Raven, "Nevermore"
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2010, 03:57:15 pm »

(Note: I'm planning to do a fix of 3rd persona nd log entries, each style is better at different things)

6th of Timber, 300 A.C.

Things are going well in our little hole in the ground, all around me I can hear the sounds of work, recently the focus has been on processing the remains of our newly slaughtered animals.

In order to make use of everything Darkness has taken up bone carving, and is planning to make some armour. I myself have been busy tanning the hides, though I will leave the actual leather work to one more skilled, the leather will at least be light to take with me when we are rescued.

Other than that things are going as normal, we slowly expand, mainly storage areas, and Tarran has still not returned.

It has been 9 months since he first set out, I hope he is ok, because if he’s dead then we are in trouble, as I would be the only one with a hope of surviving to find help. But that would leave the rest unprotected.

Still hopefully it won’t come to that…

9th Timber, 300 AC

Robina found some malachite today, a lot of malachite!! As far as we can tell it is either two veins close to each other, or one very long vein in a zigzag pattern.

Tarran is still not back.

Praise Rakas!! Even as I was writing Robina has struck metal again! This time a cluster of magnetite, along with some platinum to sweeten the deal. Once she's done mining a small amount out she's going to build a smithing complex.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2010, 04:21:45 pm by Vayre »
And, they came. My fingers tingled, my nose twitched and my toes tickled... they came around the corner, over my bridge... Into my courtyard... Onto my trade depot...

Then everything near it exploded in a cloud of blood.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2010, 06:29:25 pm »

Bump, why is no-one else posting? you guys signed up for it you should post! >:(
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

r3d5kull

• Bay Watcher
  • Hows this look for professional.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 28, 2010, 03:17:16 pm »

Sorry I've been consumed with Spring Break. Well I'm anxious for my guy to take control and tie the knot due to the fact that he gets her pregnant

Vayre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2010, 01:24:01 pm »

Sorry I've been consumed with Spring Break. Well I'm anxious for my guy to take control and tie the knot due to the fact that he gets her pregnant
Erm sorry, you might be waiting a LONG TIME for THAT

Also sorry, Darkness and Rob(ina) are both female (as opposed to male like was asked for)

Anyways updates later hopefully, unfortunately for me  Weekend =/= Lots of free time to do updates.

And, they came. My fingers tingled, my nose twitched and my toes tickled... they came around the corner, over my bridge... Into my courtyard... Onto my trade depot...

Darkness3313

• Bay Watcher
  • On the item is an image of Darkness in Adamantine.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 29, 2010, 10:20:40 pm »

Who's her?

Can't wait for those updates by the way
Darkness cancels die: Interrupted by Life.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2010, 10:33:21 pm »

Wooo! :P

r3d5kull

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 30, 2010, 08:39:46 am »

Who's her?

Can't wait for those updates by the way

I'm the lover of another Dwarf. At first when I glanced back I thought I was talking about someone else, one of my friends. I guess I was wrong

Vayre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 30, 2010, 10:04:06 am »

(Hmmm, it seems that I misread the dates slightly, our fortress was actually founded in 302 A.C., not 300 A.C. as I had previously thought._

17th of Opal, 302 A.C.

Imp and Robina have really improved in their mining skills since we arrived here. It seems to me as though they less dig through the rock and more walk forwards at a steady rate, the rock crumbling into dust before them.

Truly they are Legendary Miners.

16th Obsidian, 302 A.C.

Well its finished, our new metal-forging area is a grand sight. As well as the standard forging equipment and storages, we also have a separate area solely for steel smithing towards the north.

It is also completely pointless, as we will hopefully be gone before long, and it takes a long time to learn smithing.

But still, in a situation such as ours boredom is one of the chief enemies, and making this place has kept us busy, and hopefully so will stocking it with ores and metal.

Vayre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 30, 2010, 11:09:20 am »

1st of Granite, 303 A.C.

I can scarcely believe it, its actually been a whole year since we first arrived here. While I didn’t notice it at the time I suppose that its actually quite unusual that we arrived here on exactly the same day as the New Year.

The celebration was as grand as we could make it with only 7 dwarves and a severely limited choice in booze, but despite our efforts the event was quite sombre.

Its been a year since Tarran left us to find help, since we were stranded here.

Dear Rakas, please let him be okay.

4th of Granite, 303 A.C.

Darkness approached me with an interesting idea today, to divert some of the river flowing north of our home into an artificial lake.

The idea interested me, so with the help of Imp we were able to devise a way of digging what would cause the water to not flood, while Gnooble assured us that he would be able to built a stone wall to keep dangerous fish out, while letting water through.

After a couple hours of planning we have come up with a set of plans for how to build our lake.

12th of Granite, 303 A.C.

Elven traders arrived today, after much discussion we decided to set up a temporary trading post for them. Hopefully they will have brought some booze, our stores are running dangerously low.

1st of Slate, 303 A.C.

Work on the Depot goes slowly, It seems that Gnooble has a hatred of elves, and while he doesn’t openly express it for the last two weeks he has managed to avoid setting up to Depot, unfortunately he is the only one with the skills to do i-

Bloody hell! What’s going on out there? Everyone has just started shouting, I’d better go see what the problem is.

Entry Ends here

Navok looked down at the group of dwarves clustered around the trees, he counted 22 of them in all, many clothed in rags.

“What in the name of Armok is going on here?” Navok wondered out loud.

“Your awareness seems to be slipping Navok.”

Startled by the voice right behind him Navok spun round, his Axe whistling through the air towards the origin of the voice, causing him to nearly lose his balance as it cut only thin air, thudding into the ground from his overhead cut.

“Well that’s not a nice way to greet me Navok.” Looking up from where he was trying to tug his axe free, Navok saw the dwarf who had startled him.

Standing there, minus his armour and weapon, with the addition of a few scars, was Tarran.

2nd of Slate, 303 A.C.

It looks like were staying.

Tarran’s return has bought us some unwelcome news, whereas we had hoped for some of our nations forts to have survived the attack it was apparently not so, there were a few places where we were beginning to rebuild, but by comparison to most of those places we were a large fort.

Still, despite this I actually feel better, no longer is this just some unknown place, where I am forced to wait for help, it is now home, and I will defend it.

The refugees Tarran brought with him pose both a problem and a solution, while the extra manpower will be useful it means more mouths to feed, as such I have taken all dwarves with essential skills off of hauling duty, so they can work more. Gnooble has been spoken to strictly about his reluctance to build the depot.

Me and Tarran have selected four of the newcomers and have begun training them, two of the dwarves have admitted to some past smithing experience, and so have been set to making steel weapons and armour, until they are done we will train our new soldiers in wrestling. Since I won’t be needing it for a while I have passed my axe to one of the newcomers, who is now acting as the forts woodcutter.

4th of Slate, 303 A.C.

The new arrivals are making themselves useful indeed, on my way to the barracks today I saw one of them smoothing down the dining hall, that should make it a much more pleasant place to eat.

End Log

Well, we seem to be slightly f***ed here, we have nowhere NEAR the Booze supplies to support 30 dwarves, we have nowhere near enough rooms and our food supply will JUST hold, maybe.

This always annoys me about the first migrant wave, its never just a manageable amount of dwarves, it just floods you. ;-;

Still, we now have a lot more manpower, as well as a whole bunch of unclaimed dwarves for anyone who would like one.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 30, 2010, 12:53:09 pm »

Aww, come on! Losing is fun!

And if you find the free time would you give me my own room somewhere near the barracks with some silver bars? :P

Vayre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 30, 2010, 01:04:06 pm »

I'll see about adding some rooms to the Barracks when the lake project is done, as for silver, that's dependant on whether we find any or not. Currently we have found iron, a green ore i think is tin or zinc or something, and a quite large vein of platinum (well large for a platinum vein)

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 30, 2010, 01:32:35 pm »

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Garnierite
Nickel, if you ever find any magma than you don't have to worry, unless the ore is really malachite, then thats going to be a problem.

And you should be able to find galena everywhere, don't worry.

r3d5kull

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 30, 2010, 02:47:40 pm »

Nice.

I love community stories!!!

UristMcGunsmith

• Bay Watcher
  • "Shhh! My common sense is tingling!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 30, 2010, 05:41:14 pm »

Dear Diary,                                      1st of Slate

Lots of people are here now! I like people. But I like rocks more. We dig, and smash, and strike, and hit more rocks! It's really really fun. I'm thirsty though. I hope we get something to drink soon.

Great news, diary! They want us to dig a big hole! I love digging a hole! I get to hit so many rocks! I'm so excited! I'll count the rocks I hit then tell you how many rocks I make from the bigger rocks. It makes me so happy thinking about the rock  :)

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5