Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Refugees, A Dwarven Community Fortress  (Read 4512 times)

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
Re: Refugees, A Dwarven Community Fortress
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2010, 12:46:31 pm »

That's what I wanted from the beginning, any non-suicidal player would dump the solderer dwarf and get someone more reasonable, like a miner or a farmer, etc.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Vayre

• Bay Watcher
  • Quoth the Raven, "Nevermore"
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2010, 01:00:18 pm »

Ok, starting dorfs are set and ready, just have to do some homework (;-;) and i can get going.
And, they came. My fingers tingled, my nose twitched and my toes tickled... they came around the corner, over my bridge... Into my courtyard... Onto my trade depot...

Then everything near it exploded in a cloud of blood.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2010, 01:05:40 pm »

HOOOOMMMMMEEEEEWOOOORRRRKKKKKK! >:(

Yeah, it sucks doesn't it?
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

UristMcGunsmith

• Bay Watcher
  • "Shhh! My common sense is tingling!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2010, 01:31:46 pm »

Yay! Am I in the starting group? If so, just a little backstory on my guy. It's pretty funny. Only use this if you want comedic elements in your story.

Hi, I'm Rob. I like rocks. I like them because when I hit them they split, and then I have two rocks. Sometimes, I smash some rocks into some shapes. Like toys, cups, dolls. People like it when I do that. But I like hitting bigger rocks with my pic. Because I get more rocks. They are pretty.

(Simpleton)

Vayre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2010, 03:24:06 pm »

1st Of Granite, 300 A.C.

Well here we are, standing in a damp field next to the wrecks of the wagon. I don’t like this place, it seems… eerie somehow, and that river to the northwest looks dangerous.

The land is nothing special, no exposed rock, with only a short amount of difference in height present, we sent Tarran out with all the armour we could salvage, hopefully he will be able to find some help, but for now we need to dig in.

I have decided to name this place Ortistdatan, I’m not sure why but ReclusedIrons seems appropriate for this Armok-Forsaken field in the middle of nowhere.

End Log Entry
5th Of Granite

OGRES!! I knew this place was bad! Almost as soon as I had finished writing a few days ago Imp yelled that she had seen an ogre approaching from the south, immediately we set to work, digging into the mountain.

Working as though Armok himself was looking over their shoulders Robina and Imp set to work, carving out a crude hall for us to take shelter in.

That’s all for now, I plan to go and cut some wood, so that we may make ourselves some doors.

21st of Granite

We have been digging for some days, during this time I have gotten to know my companions better, Imp, Robina, Johann, Gnooble, Darkness and Wilson, all fine dwarves.

Thankfully we did not have to resort to wooden doors, Imp and Robina found a deposit of Limestone while digging, which both provides us with much needed stone and, if we end up stuck here, is good news for any potential steel making.

For some extra security a pair of War Dogs have been tied up just inside the door.

So far we have dug a small way into the hill, the first floor simply contains an entryway, below are food ad workshops, while below that, in the Limestone layer, are our dining and sleeping rooms.

(Picture wise how many should I do? Lots of just to accent important events?)

Summary, nothing much happened, we started digging

Also sorry, Darkness and Rob(ina) are both female (as opposed to male like was asked for)
« Last Edit: March 25, 2010, 03:40:20 pm by Vayre »
And, they came. My fingers tingled, my nose twitched and my toes tickled... they came around the corner, over my bridge... Into my courtyard... Onto my trade depot...

Darkness3313

• Bay Watcher
  • On the item is an image of Darkness in Adamantine.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2010, 03:27:56 pm »

I'm fine with that, also I suggest pictures for anything the game notes(Adamantine etc.) And Sieges.
Also may I ask which form of Craft I received if any?
Darkness cancels die: Interrupted by Life.

Vayre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2010, 03:28:56 pm »

WoodCrafting

That sounds good, i'll also include pictures of relevant/exciting/cool looking stuff.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2010, 03:30:52 pm »

Journal of Tarran, pg 1
---------------------

Walking, walking, walking, SWORD! walking, walking, BEAR! SLASH CUT AND STABITTY STAB! walking, walking, walking...

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2010, 03:51:42 pm »

I would love being able to see the lay of the land, and then to see the structure of our fort and its parts as it evolves, even the first sheltering hall would be nice to peek at.

We elected our leader as we followed the wagon.  He was wounded and unconscious, but we could tell by the cut of his clothing that he had directly served our king and he looked as if he would heal.  He woke not long after.  He seems decisive and has been quick to make decisions.  For now I'm content to follow him.

We were traveling through near flatlands far off the roads when the wagon finally had enough.  A heavily chipped rear wheel cracked apart and the front axle split as the load shifted.  So we're here.

No honest stone beneath my feet, but I felt the tremble still, several large somethings were close and moving to the south.  Hard to see well in the sun, but they we had been trying to dodge ogres for the last third of the trip, so I shouted warning even though I wasn't sure.

Navok sent us into the side of a low hill nearby, and he's taking the chances outside to get the wood we need.  I think rather well of this leader, though if he keeps taking risks like that we may have to vote for his successor before long.
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

Vayre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2010, 04:00:04 pm »

Ok, I'm heading off the computer for tonight, tomorrow after school I'll get some pictures of the fort so far.
A slight warning, updates make be sporadic over the next month or so, due to exams. i will still be playing but if I fail these I'm royally F***ed, so revision comes before DF as they get closer unfortunately ;-;.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2010, 04:07:17 pm »

Don't let us stop you, its just that if we don't hear from you for a while we might think you forgot this, but don't let this fort royally screw you up.

UristMcGunsmith

• Bay Watcher
  • "Shhh! My common sense is tingling!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2010, 01:32:06 am »

Dear Diary 21st of Granite

They yelled at me. It was scary yelling, but they yelled to hit rocks with my pic. So I was happy. I don't know why everyone was yelling, but I didn't care. I was making rocks. Holes and small rocks. I bet nobody ever yells at rocks. Happy smiling rocks.

Vayre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2010, 10:32:26 am »

A few pretty pictures for ya

Here's the embark screen, according to Sitefinder we have a magma pipe somewhere around here, but otherwise its a mystery what lies below.

Our entrance, the doors are made out of limestone, the wood cut for them was put to use as beds ^_^
Below and to the left you can see the small room used as our current meeting hall

To the right you can see our current stockpile, then our food, then farms and kitchens. To the far left there are workshops. I'm planning to build a new set of rooms for storage on the left, and then convert the big room on the right to bedrooms (mason experience yay)

Where we eat, those gems are gonna make for some nice engravings later on when we have a skilled engraver.

And the barracks, until the storage/bedroom conversion takes place our dwarves sleep here.

IC update later, ima try switching to mainly 3rd person storytelling, rather than logbooks. Tell me which ya prefer when you've read the update later.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2010, 12:42:40 pm »

When we can, we should use the weak sand (that is what it is right?) and dig a massive cavern with rivers! :P

if the sand doesn't go for several layers, just dig in the rock.

Vayre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2010, 03:30:37 pm »

Navok crouched down behind the tree, gripping his axe tightly. Peeking through the leaves he could make out the silhouette of a dwarf, standing at the side of a mule, to his right Darkness also peered around the tree.

“So whats the problem? Its just a trader?”

“Prove it”

Darkness looked back over at Navok, who was gripping his axe and scowling, “What do you mean?” she asked.

“For all we know they could be Loyalist spies, and even if they aren’t if we let them know we’re here then rumours might start spreading, we don’t want that to happen, now come on, lets get back inside!”

The two dwarves returned to the fort, locking the doors behind them. As they passed the entrance the dogs sat up, tails wagging as they saw Navok, who chuckled and dropped a few pieces of meat to them.

Stepping downstairs into the forts main area Navok looked around, taking in his surroundings. It wasn’t luxurious by any meaning of the word, but it was good considering the time they had had to put it together. Looking to his right he could see their new bedrooms, Gnooble had done an excellent job putting them together.

As he walked down the corridor he bumped into another dwarf, receiving a groping from behind. Turning round he saw Johanne walking off in the other direction, winking at him.

With a grin on his face he continued to his room, however as he entered the grin died, and Navok sat on the bed, his head in his hands.

Navok was worried, nearly everything about this situation screamed wrong at him, he didn’t know where he was, and he had to protect six civilians by himself with… Almost guiltily he looked down at his side, where a while bandage was just visible at the bottom of his shirt.

He knew he was lucky, the Injury would heal with time and most dwarves would have even survived as drop like he did, but out of all the times to be injured this was one of the worst.

With a sigh he rested his head against the cool limestone wall of his room, “Damn it Tarran, hurry up.”

(Well, there we go, how is this compared with the previous entry? Better? Worse? These take longer to write but personally I prefer them, and when fights actually happen it will be a lot easier)
(For those wondering the whole “injury” thing is justice explanation for why an Ex-kings guard is only a proficient Axe Dwarf)
(edit: It looked longer in word, damn you margins and your cruel mocking illusions ;-;)

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5