Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Refugees, A Dwarven Community Fortress  (Read 4510 times)

Vayre

• Bay Watcher
  • Quoth the Raven, "Nevermore"
    • View Profile
Refugees, A Dwarven Community Fortress
« on: March 24, 2010, 01:27:22 pm »

(Note, A.C. Is After Civilisation. Cannonically this is counting in years from when the first Civilisations were formed, in game terms it is from year 0.)

[1st of Granite, 300 A.C.]
Journal of Navok Ducimstorlu

I never thought that things would end up like this.

I can scarcely believe it was only a few weeks before that was back in Dalzatlitast, things had been going great, I was a captain in The Winged Blades, the personal bodyguard-squad of King Oddon Langgudoslan himself!

Noone expected the attack, when The Wild Sabres succeded from The Lined Artifact back in150 A.C. there was plenty of bad blood on both sides, enough for 70 years of war, but the war was long done with, the bones buried and the cities rebuilt.

Still, I guess that has all changed now. I was eating when it happened, the Loyalists had dug under the fortress, collapsing parts of it to cause chaos and create entry points for their troops, one of those points was the dining hall I was sat in. I don’t remember much after that, apparently the Loyalists took the fortress with little trouble, killing all they could find.

I was lucky, the fall took me down into the sewer systems, where I was picked up by a group of dwarves using the tunnels to escape, as Dalzatlitast was sacked my unconscious body was put onto a wagon and taken off into the night.

Reports from other groups confirmed that this had happened in other places as well, in one fell swoop the Loyalists had destroyed all 3 major Mountain Homes:

Onoltu - the Majestic spire fortress, built out of pure marble.
Gutor – The largest Dwarven city ever built, miles upon miles of tunnels connecting in a grid, holding nearly 2000 dwarves within.
And finally Dalzatlitast – Built inside the crater of the might volcano Olsmo, where Obok Kolalen killed the demon Olsmo.

All gone, and in the days after the Loyalists swept through the land, destroying all they could find.

Now I sit here in this wagon, three weeks on. Me and 6 other dwarves, just trying to survive.

Taken from the Journel of Navok Ducimstorlut, founder of Orstistdatan

Ok, I.C. stuff over. This is going to be a community fort run by me. We are using Vanilla-DF with one added race, the Loyalists, which are basically a copy of dwarves with made hostile.

Currently there are six slots open, feel free to request a dwarf/profession.

Unfortunately I have no idea how to use a program to change genders, and after reading Migurust it seems there are some *ahem* problem with that, so simply state you’re preferred gender and then its first come first serve gender-wise.

Yes I’m aware of the placeholders in the IC stuff, they will be replaced when the fort in genned.

Also a point here, while this won’t come up until later battles during narrative of fights involving the loyalists they are identified by their armour, which is Black Steel with a gold trim. The forts dwarves will be wearing undecorated armour, unless this is done in-game.

Soo yeah, anyone who wants in feel free to post.

(Final note: While I do know how to play i'm not the best player, apart from certain aspects I have planned out feel free to offer advice/suggestions/things you think would look cool.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2010, 02:54:58 pm by Vayre »
And, they came. My fingers tingled, my nose twitched and my toes tickled... they came around the corner, over my bridge... Into my courtyard... Onto my trade depot...

Then everything near it exploded in a cloud of blood.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: Refugees, A Dwarven Community Fortress
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2010, 01:38:44 pm »

You can, of course, just assign nicknames to the dwarves.  I don't think anyone will mind if their names are not "officially" changed in the system itself.

And you can set it up in the init file if you want nicknames to replace the first name, get placed between the first and last names (Bomrek "Spit" Tekkudastesh), or replace the last name.

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2010, 01:43:17 pm »

Ahh, I'd like in.  I'm unsure if you want to know how to name dwarves, but you can from inside the program.  Open U(nits) and up and down arrow over the dwarf you want to pick, enter.  press V(iew) and then y(customize)  You can change their name and/or their profession name.

I'd prefer a female, and I don't care what her name is, so it's fine not to change hers.  I'd like her to be a miner/appraiser, unless you've already decided you wish to be broker, if so, then a miner/gemcutter.
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

Vayre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2010, 01:44:27 pm »

names? oops, i  got confused and wrote the wrong word there, I meant to write that I don't know how to change GENDERS. Names i do know how to change.

>_>

<_<
And, they came. My fingers tingled, my nose twitched and my toes tickled... they came around the corner, over my bridge... Into my courtyard... Onto my trade depot...

r3d5kull

• Bay Watcher
  • Hows this look for professional.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2010, 02:03:17 pm »

I want in.
 I'm a stickler for Marvel comics so...

Name: Johann Shmidt

Also if you go like BlockedLance, how everyone was vying for power I wanna scheme big time.

Gnooble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2010, 02:51:34 pm »

Name: Gnooble
Job: Mason or Mechanic
A dwarf walks into a bar.
Dwarf cancels Haul Item: Booze now available.

Vayre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2010, 03:02:22 pm »

scheming is fine if ya want, if you want to do/request something IC just say/make a journal planning it/whatever in-between posts

wilsonns

• Bay Watcher
  • Golden hair?Green eyes?Spiky beard?Super Dorf Jin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2010, 06:20:22 pm »

I want a dorf too!

A brewer called Wilson...An he will also be a cook, and even a cheese maker...

Darkness3313

• Bay Watcher
  • On the item is an image of Darkness in Adamantine.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2010, 06:37:48 pm »

I would like to sign up for a Dorf.

Name: Darkness
Profession: Farmer(4)and 4 in any craftstyle you will be using most(Wood/Bone/Stone/Metal)
Siege Operator(2)
Darkness cancels die: Interrupted by Life.

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2010, 07:50:26 pm »

I can't resist, and you welcomed journal entries, so... I can't resist!  This is not scheming, but so what.  Maybe it'll turn into that as the game goes on ;p

I was asleep when it began.  I'd recently immigrated to Dalzatiltast and my room was no bigger than my bed.  My little bed was one of perhaps twenty placed end to end in a small chamber hewn out at least fifty years before.  No place for my clothes or pick, so I wore and held everything that was mine.

Good thing too.  I woke hearing the cry of severing stone from nearby.  I'm new, but not so new I didn't know our work designations, and this chamber, this whole end of the Mountainhome was considered finished.

I knew it was trouble, and shouted so, but the enemy miners were incredibly fast.  As I finished my shout I heard the sound change as the new tunnel opened somewhere nearby, and then screams.  Dwarven screams of agony and rage, the squeal of dying dogs and dwarven infants.

The beds chamber was a blind corridor, the only exit long past the nearing sounds of terrible violence.

If you're a miner, there's always a way out.  The smell of bad water can seep through the pores in the stones, so I'd known since being given my bed that below this room, barely more than an arm's length away, was a stretch of sewer.

I'm not the fastest miner, and far slower than the enemy who breached our walls, but I swung with a will as my panicked roommates fled back and forth.  All who ran into the hall were shot down, and the sounds of violence from that corridor were quieting - a sure sign we were losing and the enemy would soon be within the room.

I dropped down into darkness, already trying to run before my feet splashed into the wet slime below.  Not sure if the enemy tried to follow me down or not.  I was turning corners and sprinting as fast as I could when I ran into another dwarf from the city.  He was a mason, and he was hastily sealing the sewer path with a rough stone wall under the direction of a small group of others.  As I wiped slime from my beard the leader asked if I could use my pick, and told me to keep up as our group ran onwards towards some rubble partially blocking the sewer ahead.
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2010, 09:26:42 pm »

If you ever have room for a male swordsdwarf than count me in.

Name:Tarran (duh)
Profession:Swordsdwarf (in platemail armor and with a shield please)

time to stab! :P
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

UristMcGunsmith

• Bay Watcher
  • "Shhh! My common sense is tingling!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2010, 09:29:57 pm »

Meee

I would like in.

Miner/Stone Crafter please.

Name : Rob

Darkness3313

• Bay Watcher
  • On the item is an image of Darkness in Adamantine.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2010, 09:47:37 pm »

I dropped down into darkness

Ouch.

But seriously,

The screams were unbearable, I couldn't take it anymore, I was on the verge of going Stark raving mad.

Until I came across a Channel the Loyalist haven't discovered yet, so I jumped down.

Running through the Sewer passages, away from those Loyalist who have killed many of my brothers.

I came across three other Dwarves stricking at the stone to escape.
I knew who they were, Wilson, Gnooble and Johann. They told me to grab a pick and start striking the earth.

Eventually we came across more Dwarves, Tarran, Imp and Navok.

We made our way out and onto a Wagon with the Meager supplies we had and we moved on.

Little short but you'll see much better writing from me once the story starts.
Darkness cancels die: Interrupted by Life.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2010, 10:01:01 pm »

I don't think I should be included in the starting group, unless you want FUN to happen. :P
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Vayre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2010, 11:27:48 am »

To be honest that would be helpful is ya don't mind waiting a short while Tarran, there wouldn't be much for your character to do at the start, and the extra miner would be REALLY helpful.

If ya want Ic wise you could have split from the group to find more help, and then you return with that help later, (as in a migrant wave)

Does that sound ok to ya?

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5