Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fun with Megabeasts  (Read 1391 times)

Naz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Fun with Megabeasts
« on: March 24, 2010, 11:44:09 am »

Can you tame/breed megabeasts? I've got delusions of a Hydra ranch to go alongside my 30 story solid gold middle figner.
Urist McDwarf cancels wear pants: Just because

SquidgyB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fun with Megabeasts
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2010, 12:26:29 pm »

Dunno about breeding, but I would've thought adding the appropriate tags in the raws would allow you to tame/train them. I know people have had tamed and trained war dragons, so it should be easy enough. I'm sure someone here with more knowledge than me can tell you a bit more about it.

Oh, and please, give us a few screenshots of your gesticulating digit!!!

Don Blake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2010, 12:27:12 pm »

Can you tame/breed megabeasts? I've got delusions of a Hydra ranch to go alongside my 30 story solid gold middle figner.

You can, I believe, tame Hydras and Dragons, maybe Bronze Colossi, but not Titans, and nothing if they've killed one of your dwarves.  However, without messing with the raws, you can't breed anything with the Megabeast tag.

Kidiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2010, 12:46:21 pm »

A little correction: you can tame any tameable creature that has killed any of your dwarfs, but they won't be tame. They"ll still attack your dwarfs, and they won't do anything against it, because the attacker's part of your civ.
Veni, Vidi, Pompeii.
Soylent Green is kittens!
Sometimes, when my Dorfs are exceptionally stupid again, I wonder what exactly the [INTELLIGENT]-tag does.

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2010, 01:26:08 pm »

Hydras and Dragons already have the [PET_EXOTIC] tag, so you should be able to tame them. Just check your announcement logs for any deaths that happened between their arrival on your site and their capture.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2010, 01:58:05 pm »

I remember reading about using Dwarf Companion to change the race of a creature like a dragon or a goblin to something like, say, a dog (a really, really big dog, since it doesn't change size), which will get females pregnant after a short while, then changing them back to whatever they were originally.

You may still need to mod in [child:#] and [childname:_:_:_] for that to work properly, however.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2010, 02:53:02 pm »

A little correction: you can tame any tameable creature that has killed any of your dwarfs, but they won't be tame. They"ll still attack your dwarfs, and they won't do anything against it, because the attacker's part of your civ.

One would wonder why they're handled differently than berzerkers.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Lummox JR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • BYOND
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2010, 04:08:07 pm »

My dwarves caught a dragon in a cage trap years back, and tamed it down. The dragon had picked up some injuries from stone-fall traps on the way in, but I doubt those amount to much. The big problem is I have no idea what to do with the thing since I don't want fire all over the place, so I have a megabeast I can't do anything with. Even as a goblin executioner I think he'd be problematic since I'd want to gather their bones. Right now I get rid of my caged goblins by tossing them to bears and jaguars that don't have names yet.

Yiab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2010, 12:03:11 am »

<Thread Resurrection>
I'm wondering if there's any way to find out what the gestation period of a creature is, and to discover whether or not a particular female is pregnant.

I've had one male and one female tame hydra for several years now, and I have not seen any hydralings yet, so I've been wondering how long I have to wait.

Lost Requiem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Fur Affinity
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2010, 10:41:42 am »

Megabeasts don't reproduce in control circumstances.
Lost's sanctuary for Lolis.
Quest Complete! 41/31

Yiab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2010, 10:51:34 am »

Damn. You mean I can't eventually breed dragons either? Is there a part of the raws I can change to allow me to breed megabeasts?

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2010, 11:19:05 am »

Go to the creature's entry in the raw folder and add [CHILD:][GENERAL_CHILD_NAME::] with the spaces filled with whatever you want their name to be and what age they become an adult. You could also add [COMMON_DOMESTIC] to the entry as well if you really want to get a quick start on breeding them; they're appear on the embark screen, but probably at an insanely high price seeing as how Giant Cave Spiders start at 1251 even for one without training. Of course, there's also a chance of an immigrant showing up with one for free.

Noble Digger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2010, 03:47:43 pm »

Hiya, chiming in... On a recent (pre-31.x) fortress I spent considerable effort trying to mod Giant Cave Spiders to breed. I wasn't successful and nobody had any answers for me that helped. As near as I can tell, certain tags, or perhaps having a title, stops wild creatures from reproducing no matter what you do.

In 31.x, Grizzly Bears can be turned into War Animals by default, and enjoy fucking. That's about the best option I have for you as far as having your own garbage disposals. :)
quib·ble
1. To evade the truth or importance of an issue by raising trivial distinctions and objections.
2. To find fault or criticize for petty reasons; cavil.