Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Help plz, goblins used all metals instead of none.  (Read 1240 times)

Carlos Gustavos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Help plz, goblins used all metals instead of none.
« on: March 24, 2010, 07:12:12 am »

I wanted to reduce the amount of useful and valuable things the goblins dump in my fortress. I decided to give them [WOOD_PREF] so they wouldn't be my largest source of metal while still being able to have some equipment.

But it didn't work. In the first goblin attack they brought weapons and armour of copper, bronze, bismuth bronse, iron, steel and even one silver and one adamantine maul, i.e. all metals that can be used for weapons and armour.

Does anyone know why? Here's their entity entry:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I also removed [SUBTERRANEAN_CLOTHING] so they wouldn't use giant cave spider silk, but they did anyway. I removed [BABYSNATCHER] and in their creature entry I changed [INTELLIGENT] to [CAN_CIV][CAN_LEARN] so they'd attack more often.

I've also added snailmen and leechmen civilizations, but I don't see how that could have caused this.

sunshaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Help plz, goblins used all metals instead of none.
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2010, 07:20:07 am »

Have you:
1. deleted the files in the ...\data\objects folder? (note not ...\raw\objects)
2. generated a new world?

Zaranthan

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet Smelter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2010, 08:06:59 am »

WOOD_PREF does that when you combine it with...some other tag that I can't recall off the top of my head. Try removing STONE_PREF and see if that helps (you'll have to regen, of course).
Quote from: Howard, Nerf This, by Scott D. Ferguson
Villains sleep with hookers, heroes sleep with destiny.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2010, 01:48:08 pm »

I think it's [WOOD_PREF] + [INDOOR_FARMING] that does that. Or maybe lack of [OUTDOOR_FARMING].
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Ramirez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2010, 11:02:47 pm »

I think it's [WOOD_PREF] + [INDOOR_FARMING] that does that. Or maybe lack of [OUTDOOR_FARMING].

Actually I think it is the lack of indoor farming on goblins, combined with the lack of outdoor farming. Basically they can't use tower caps or regular trees to make their equipment out of, and they have no set metals to use so they just use them all. I have seen a similar thing happen when elves were told to have picks, as they don't use metals but picks cannot be made out of wood.

MagicGuigz

• Bay Watcher
  • [magical]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2010, 11:26:38 pm »

Actually I think it is the lack of indoor farming on goblins, combined with the lack of outdoor farming. Basically they can't use tower caps or regular trees to make their equipment out of, and they have no set metals to use so they just use them all. I have seen a similar thing happen when elves were told to have picks, as they don't use metals but picks cannot be made out of wood.

I love this game.  I love it so much.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2010, 06:09:01 pm »

This is a pretty useful glitch. Someone should incorporate it into a mod somewhere.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2010, 08:30:32 am »

This is a pretty useful glitch. Someone should incorporate it into a mod somewhere.
I may have an idea about that.  Does it seem appropriate for evil clowns - actually clowns, not hfs - to have weapons made from just about any random metal?

Think, lowly grunt with adamantine, but then a weaponmaster getting mere silver.  Seems clowny to me.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Rafal99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2010, 08:50:03 am »

You can mod goblins to use another types of armor and make these types use minimal amount of metal, so that they give only minimum amount of it when melted.
The spinning Tantrum Spiral strikes The Fortress in the meeting hall!
It explodes in gore!
The Fortress has been struck down.

Leotto

• Bay Watcher
  • Rumplord
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2010, 10:54:40 am »

Or just turn off sieges.

Ramirez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2010, 12:54:29 pm »

You can mod goblins to use another types of armor and make these types use minimal amount of metal, so that they give only minimum amount of it when melted.

As well as using minimal amounts of metal in their gear you could also give them the minor metal tag, so they use copper instead of iron equipment (much less valuable).

immolo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2010, 03:37:53 pm »

The other option is you could just give the goblins the ability to farm things so they could give you useless wood equipment.

You could also make a new metal with no ore that acts as a wafer with [WAFERS]. Make this metal slightly stronger then steel and then give the goblins [Metal_Pref] so they will always use said metal. This might seem counter intuitive to give them better metal but because it is in wafer form it is less useful melting down. As a wafer you need 3 times as much material as you need for bars and it still melts down to the same number of wafers as you would get bars. Also make it so it can only be made into weapons and armor so you can't pull a turn into goblets to make lots of money trick. I'm of two opinions about what you should make the value multiplier. On one hand if it is expensive you can't just buy a ton of it on embark but you can just sell the new goblinite ore deposits for a lot of money without melting them down. On the other hand if they are cheap you can just buy a lot on embark. The one compromise I can think of is make them equal value to iron or steel.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2010, 03:39:26 pm by immolo »

Carlos Gustavos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2010, 06:22:03 am »

Thank you. I gave them [OUTDOOR_FARMING] and now they use wooden equipment. Although, it was interesting to have them bring some amounts of adamantine as I would not get it otherwise.

As for decreasing the amount of loot from goblins, I'm now thinking I should just give goblins better natural weapons and armour. But I don't know how weapons' damage and armours' block value relate to creatures' attack damage and damblock.

Zaranthan

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet Smelter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2010, 08:54:49 am »

Easiest way to make them stronger and tougher is to increase their size tag. Damblock also helps, but not as much. You can also give them some or all of the usual megabeast tags: nopain, nofear, noexert, nostun, buildingdestroyer, webber/thickweb/webimmune, etc.
Quote from: Howard, Nerf This, by Scott D. Ferguson
Villains sleep with hookers, heroes sleep with destiny.