Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: So my king came...early?  (Read 2084 times)

Renault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: So my king came...early?
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2010, 11:43:41 pm »

*snicker*

Premature coronation

*snicker*

:'(

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2010, 11:48:42 pm »

*snicker*

Premature coronation

*snicker*

It's never happened to me before, I SWEAR!
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

k4rp

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2010, 12:56:56 am »

For the sake of conserving adamantine, do I really want to strand it and turn it into a statue?

And, if its stranded into a statue, can I melt it and recover all the spent strands.

FU king, FU.

edit: such a beautiful site too...

Renault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2010, 01:04:15 am »

Melting it down will lose some. But dont worry, there'll be plenty of adamantite for a few statues to not be a big loss. What else are you going to do with it? You can only make so many axes and platemails.\

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2010, 01:05:15 am »

Oh just lock the king in his room and set up cage traps outside his door.  When he inevitably snaps, his only options will be "wait for death" or "break down the doors and get caged".
Sanity is for the weak.

Renault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2010, 01:16:59 am »

Oh just lock the king in his room and set up cage traps outside his door.  When he inevitably snaps, his only options will be "wait for death" or "break down the doors and get caged".

Regicide! How date you even suggest that reprehensible idea, sirrah! I am shocked and offended by the very suggestion. The King is the symbol of the nation, all true dwarves proudly espouse their loyalty to the crown! Harrumph!

Alternatively, window his chamber, flood it, and let the world see how you treat tyrants!

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2010, 01:25:03 am »

Hey, I specified cage traps for a reason.  He'll live... for a while, until he dies of thirst and/or hunger, anyway.
Sanity is for the weak.

k4rp

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2010, 01:51:26 am »

After Operation Urist McCoup takes place, is the king slot on the nolbles screen vacant?

Would be nice.  Once I get back to the game, I'll let you know how it goes down.

And considering the adamantine HFS, IIRC, there'll be a popup screen - checking wiki.

Renault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2010, 02:36:56 am »

Naw, if the king dies, thats it. The civilization wont get another one, sadly. It'll probably change in the future.

Trigonous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2010, 04:14:26 am »

If he got the king this time, but not last time, it suggests he doesn't have the nemesis though. Seems more likely that it was just his pop cap keeping him from getting any new migrants, which would prevent the King's arrival, even with adamantine discovered.

Yes, that seems logical.  The nemesis bug happened in autumn, which leads be to believe that it was due to the liaison, anyway.

And the sad thing is I have seasonal autosaving on, but I regularly clear out autosaves from previous years...

And making two adamantine statues seems the best course of action for you.  It won't take that much adamantine, and should make your king pretty happy.
So of all the things you can do in DF, it's the fractal artifacts that make you think dwarves are crazy.

Never mind the magma falls, the atom smashers, the cog-and-axle turing-complete computers, or the colonizing of Hell itself... all those are fine, but man, those recursive artifacts! Where do they get such ideas?

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2010, 11:37:32 am »

Remember that adamantine strands get made into wafers, and it takes 3 times as many wafers to make something as it would normally take bars, so a metal Adamantine statue will require nine wafers and only be worth 20% more than one made from raw adamantine.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2010, 12:18:29 pm »

All I do when I get the king is make sure he has his 4 required rooms, I make all 4 of them smoothed and fully engraved 11x11 rooms and they turn out royal with even basic furniture.  It is nice to have some spiffy things to put in there later, but from my experience if every tile of his rooms are engraved and they are large enough, that should provide the royal requirements and you can use whatever furniture you have lying around until you can get some truly royal furnishings for him/her.
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

SquidgyB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2010, 12:33:23 pm »

I struck Adamantine a good few years before the King (or queen in this case) turned up on my doorstep.

When I say turn up I really mean fell over. She was missing her whole left leg from fighting a cyclops back in world gen. She's now conducting a meeting with a human diplomat while unconcious...

She's been bed bound for a few years now. Do dwarfs who have sustained this kind of serious injury ever get "better"? I expect to have a very slow moving hobbler if/when she does wake up, but I have no idea how long that will take. Here's looking forward to crutches in the new version :D

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2010, 02:02:11 pm »

She's been bed bound for a few years now. Do dwarfs who have sustained this kind of serious injury ever get "better"? I expect to have a very slow moving hobbler if/when she does wake up, but I have no idea how long that will take. Here's looking forward to crutches in the new version :D

No.  Not in this version, anyway, at least, without modding/cheating.

If you really want her healthy, however...

You can use Dwarf Companion to heal her, or I have read that you can mod the dwarf skeleton to have less parts, which instantly heals all dwarves to full health upon loading the game (presumably, a stop-gap measure to prevent the game from crashing with bad data from having information on body parts that aren't there), then save, and mod the skeleton back.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2010, 02:17:00 pm »

In my current fortress, I struck Adamantine for the first time in a "proper" fort. I quickly mobilized my whole workforce into making an awesome bedroom for the King, since I'd never had the patience to keep a fort going long enough to have one before. I made an awesome circular throne room of about 40 tiles across with a double spiral of magma trenches running through it. I made little towers leading up to his dining room and bedroom with an artifact cabinet. The throneroom has an artifact hatch leading down to an incredibly winding crypt with an exceptional Aluminium sarcophagus. I was doing this damn thing right.

The King has just arrived, stripped off all of his clothes, and proceeded to blunder about aimlessly at the edge of the map at a rate of about one tile every minute. Fuck nobles.
Pages: 1 [2] 3