Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: So my king came...early?  (Read 2088 times)

k4rp

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
So my king came...early?
« on: March 23, 2010, 10:07:14 pm »

Started a new fortress on MAC version of d19, no MODs.  King showed up dressed as a migrant at the 13 dwarve mark and about an hours worth of gameplay. 

Now, this might be important in the matter:  I found an adamantine vein while doing exploratory mining looking for the maga pipe.  Also on my map is a chasm/bottomless pit.  It's a 6x6 map square.

Any thoughts as to why he came?  My wealth still shows ~25,000 bucks, with my broker at the most detailed setting.

As an aside, the really screws me up.

1.  This location is awesome.
    2.  Both rich in gems/spidersilk/magma/adamantine.
    3.  Production chains and stocks were great for 13 dwarves.

Oh yeah, I jumped from 13 to 42 dwarves with the king, just like that.

FML or FMF I should say. :P

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
Re: So my king came...early?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2010, 10:10:06 pm »

You found adamantine. It brings the King.
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

k4rp

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2010, 10:13:28 pm »

How long do I have to make the royal palace before it becomes a problem?

edit: keep in mind I don't have the resources or skilled dwarves to make the good shit.  Haven't even found gold yet.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2010, 10:15:24 pm by k4rp »

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2010, 10:21:05 pm »

Um... I'm not sure myself. I just know how you got your king, not what you should do about it, sorry.
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2010, 10:23:05 pm »

-snip-
« Last Edit: May 03, 2015, 01:01:49 am by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2010, 10:24:38 pm »

How long do I have to make the royal palace before it becomes a problem?

Not long enough. Never long enough, even with skilled dwarves.
Just make sure that he has the best rooms, even if they are mediocre. It will devastate him if another dwarf has equal/better rooms than him.

I'd recommend harvesting 3 adamantine wafers and making a statue to put in his room (or would 3 raw adamantine statues have more net value? I don't know offhand), then churn out cheap rock furniture. Hopefully that'll hold him. I'd wager you've got something on the order of a season before he starts getting seriously unhappy about it, but I can't be sure on that.

Raw adamantine is the same as adamantine metal.
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.

Trigonous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2010, 10:25:58 pm »

Is it guaranteed to get the king with adamantine?  My last fort found adamantine and I never noticed a king, though it perished a few seasons later thanks to the nemesis bug.

Although it may be that I had already reached max pop without a baron.
So of all the things you can do in DF, it's the fractal artifacts that make you think dwarves are crazy.

Never mind the magma falls, the atom smashers, the cog-and-axle turing-complete computers, or the colonizing of Hell itself... all those are fine, but man, those recursive artifacts! Where do they get such ideas?

Nirreln

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2010, 10:27:16 pm »

Enable the use of raw adamantine to make stone furniture, that is assuming you don't have forges set up already and have some adamantine strands. Also the metal has a mod value of 300 and raw only 250.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2010, 10:29:00 pm by Nirreln »
Quote from: a rather odd engraving
This is a masterful image of your FPS and the HFS. The HFS is committing a depraved act on your FPS.

Renault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2010, 10:30:40 pm »

Make things out of adamantine, with a few chairs or mechanisms of it he'll be able to last long enough for you to deck his place out. As long as its the best you are capable of, like Dakoth said, he'll be okay.

Just make sure you dont dig too deep into the adamantine. Theres a price for greed.

And Trig, as long as there is an immigrant wave, the King should come. If no migrants arrive, the king/queen wont come. So yeah, your max pop would have stopped his arrival.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2010, 10:35:31 pm »

Raw adamantine is the same as adamantine metal.

To be more explicit, in the case of confusion:

A stone statue made out of an ore will have the same value as a metal statue made out of... a metal.  Metal furniture takes three bars, but produces no more value than the stone statues made of ore do*.  Even more important, you will probably have a mason with higher skill than you will have a metalsmith early in the game. Especially with something ultra-valuable like adamantine, you're better off getting your masons to just carve two or three statues. 

* edit: HAHA! I was lying!  I forgot that Adamantine is special in this regard, as well.  Adamantine ore is only 250, instead of the metal's 300.  It's still rediculously valuable either way, and still better used as an ore, though.

Statues have a base value of 25, times the quality modifier, times the value of adamantine, which is 300 250.  To make a royal bedroom, you need 10,000 DBs in value.  An adamantine ore statue has a minimum value of 7500 6,250.  That gets multiplied by quality, so if your masons are anything above proficient, you have "Royal" in the bag.  You do need to have either several rooms elevated to royal level, or you need to make a combined-function room with several adamantine statues to boost the value to compensate for the value drop of a single shared room. 

Is it guaranteed to get the king with adamantine?  My last fort found adamantine and I never noticed a king, though it perished a few seasons later thanks to the nemesis bug.

Although it may be that I had already reached max pop without a baron.

If you got a nemesis bug, it may just be that the file that had the data for the king was deleted.  (In fact, his arrival may have been what sparked the nemesis bug.)
« Last Edit: March 23, 2010, 10:38:36 pm by NW_Kohaku »
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

k4rp

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2010, 10:57:31 pm »

I immediately sited his rooms out while paused on his arrival notification.

Still, I think it's going to be pushing it.  I hope I'm not screwed.

Urist McOverlord

• Bay Watcher
  • [Evil_Genius]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2010, 11:02:49 pm »

Nemesis bug? What is this?
I'm scared...
Magma: The cause of, and solution to, all life's problems.

If it moves, it wants to kill you. It may not try to, but it wants to.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2010, 11:26:13 pm »

Nemesis bug? What is this?
I'm scared...

This is the thread regarding the bug.

The nemesis bug occurs when you somehow have the data in your save folder deleted, and the game tries to load some of the data from those files, causing a crash to desktop.

This is suspected to occur occasionally when you force-quit from the Three Finger Salute menu instead of through saving and quitting the normal way.  It can also happen if you move or alter the save folder during a save.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Renault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2010, 11:38:56 pm »

If he got the king this time, but not last time, it suggests he doesn't have the nemesis though. Seems more likely that it was just his pop cap keeping him from getting any new migrants, which would prevent the King's arrival, even with adamantine discovered.

Cuchulain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2010, 11:42:17 pm »

*snicker*

Premature coronation

*snicker*
Pages: [1] 2 3